Did you have an Xbox before you had an Xbox 360?

#151 Posted by RockAction (377 posts) -

had an original xbox before 360, really enjoyed it, one of my favourite games was Doom 3 and numerous other exclusives, even enjoyed Raw 2 more than the latter smackdown games, after maybe here comes the pain or whatever was the equivalent ps2 wrestling game at the time - didn't have as many xbox games as i did ps2 games, obviously i suppose, but still really enjoyed it, bought xbox official magazine way more than ps2, usually for the demos 

now i have way more 360 games than ps3 games, but i did get the 360 three years ago and the ps3 three months ago

#152 Posted by FireBurger (1479 posts) -

Yeah, I got it for Christmas 2002. It came with MechAssault, the first Live game. At least I'm pretty sure it was the first.
#153 Posted by TheHBK (5475 posts) -

Yes, games looked and ran better than on the PS2.  For me the best most memorable experience on the PS2 was MGS2, but for the wrong reasons.  Then I played Halo 2 a lot in college and for me, that set the bar for online gaming on a console.  The PS3 has shown it could do that too.  But man, driving people into the chasm on waterworks and hearing them get pissed because it counted as suicide for them was awesome.

#154 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -
@MattyFTM:  Are you kidding me?

The Xbox was only a 'flop' because it was a brand new console from a company who had not previously ventured into the console market.

One of the main attractions of the Xbox was the whole 'Anything PS2 can do, we can do better' factor.  For example - I remember owning Max Payne on PS2 and really getting frustrated with the loading times between deaths when I got round to playing it on the unlockable, harder difficulty settings. However, when I decided to get Max Payne on the cheap years later for my Xbox, I was left frustrated that I had not jumped ship sooner. The graphics were sharper, the mutli-format titles ran a lot smoother (this also includes Timesplitters 2 and Metal Gear Solid 2 for the record) and the custom soundtracks option was quite awesome at the time.

The superiority of the console made a LOT of games far more enjoyable. Ghost Recon 2 (and its expansions), Rainbow Six 3, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and Double Agent (which was hilariously better than the 360 version by miles) 

People go on and on about the sodding Dreamcast and how it was underated but I think people need to take these points that I have made into account, as well as going back and looking at the back catalogue of EXCELLENT games before they say anything negative about the system. 

...oh and back then, Halo Combat Evolved was reason enough to purchase an Xbox all on its own, so don't be a wee silly cunt.
#155 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Yup.  Halo LANs were a blast, but I think my most played single player game was Mercenaries.  I played the shit out of that.

#156 Posted by advocatefish (355 posts) -

I bought a gamecube because it came with two games and was cheaper than a ps2. I made a big mistake. Xbox 360 saved my faith in gaming. I couldn't believe how expansive halo 3's campaign and multiplayer was and how good gears looked.

#157 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5820 posts) -

No, I only had a gamecube.

#158 Posted by Brendan (7780 posts) -

Yep, and I got a supreme package. Halo and Amped. Got it in 2002.

I had a gaming grade PC before that (my parents bought it in 1999 and wanted the best) so it had been long enough since I had used the TV to play games that the Xbox was hooked up to a tube with wood panels when I played it! We got a rear projection 42" flatscreen during the winter of 04/05.

#159 Posted by Raven_Sword (3444 posts) -

Yup, in fact i played it more than my PS2.
#160 Posted by Marokai (2911 posts) -

Sure. I didn't use it nearly as often as my Ps2, but I really loved alot of games for the original Xbox, and still break it out on occasion since the compatibility with the 360 on most of those games is shit.

#161 Posted by SumDeus (1857 posts) -

Hell yes I did. Greattttt memories with that thing, man...

#162 Posted by YetiAntics (1490 posts) -

Yes. I would play the crap out of Jet Set Radio Future. I love that game!

#163 Posted by nw_threat (3 posts) -

sure did, loved it.

#164 Posted by Djeffers03 (2545 posts) -

Yeah, it was the first console I owned. I was one of the rare few among my friend that had an Xbox and not a PS2, many a flame war was fought.

#165 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2104 posts) -

Yes I did. November 15th 2001. Oh gracious, Project Gotham Racing 1 and Halo... yes, this guy was set. OMG, and then Moto GP pack in that game with the original xbox Live! starter set, I probs put at least 250 hours into that game alone. Mechassault was also awesome, Return to Castle Wolfenstein: ToW, and the rest of the online bunch... I had them all.

I think I may have put just as many hours into Socom and Socom 2 since that came out those came out in like the summer of 2002...a few months before XBL officially launched. I was in beta of XBL, but they had only really that RC racing game. SOCOM ruled my life for about 6 months after each came out... I mean I was playing for like 4 hours a day... ahhhh, Frostfire. I still played a ton after that... just went down to like once a week for like an hour or two.

#166 Posted by bombHills (632 posts) -

Yes, and I some how "liked" that giant controller.

#167 Posted by graf1k (413 posts) -

I did. I played about 3 hours of Shenmue 2 and JSRF each, about an hour of Halo: CE before I realized I hate Halo, and then turned it into a media server and went back to playing my PS2 and Gamecube.

#168 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2104 posts) -

@bombHills said:

Yes, and I some how "liked" that giant controller.

Oh yes, get out the 4 dukes and play some Halo or Unreal Championship.

#169 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -

No, I would check the library from time to time, but the only exclusive I could muster any interest in at all was Halo.  And by the time they dropped the price on Halo I had learned that my initial interest was misplaced.  And they made a PC version so I doubly had no reason to get an XBox.
#170 Posted by jhsauls (42 posts) -

Yes I had an original Xbox.  I eventually modded it, but I found out that not buying games and having too many to play is a bad thing...not just because of the principality of it, but because it gives you no motivation to actually play a game and I found myself not enjoying it as much.  Therefore I will never download games again...just not worth it for me.

#171 Posted by Gurlgamer65 (5 posts) -

Nope. During  their Great Release, I worked at TRU as a mgr. We had teh honor of having some of the first 100 machines. When our display came the first 3 out of our promotion 5 faile out of teh box. LOL. Iwouldn't touch'em! 
THen my firiend and I played on his Xbox 360 a lot adn he gave it to my son when he deployed. I play MMOs on Pcs mostly now days.
#172 Posted by Shadow (4979 posts) -

I got it exclusively to play Ninja Gaiden. Seeing as that's easily my favorite game of that entire generation, it was worth the price of the system.

#173 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

Totally. Ninja Gaiden Black made that system for me.

#174 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2686 posts) -

lol HELL NO

#175 Posted by Capum15 (4884 posts) -

Yep. Played the hell out of Halo and Halo 2, and played an absurd amount of Ghost Recon 2 with some friends on live. I also played a ton of Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition, and that group of friends always used hydrolics to bounce cars 20-ish feet in the air, and bounce them into places that you never should've been able to get into. Fun times.

Mine lasted from launch to a while after I got my 360 shortly after Halo 3 was released. Hell, I can probably still play it today. I also got a MadCatz controller, which was tiny but better than those huge ones.

#176 Posted by muralbat (152 posts) -

Indeed I did, I picked it up as a bundle with Rainbow Six 3, whichever the first Fifa game was and a demo for a racing game. Me and 3 other friends picked it up the same day, came back to my house and played the shit out of games (we all got different launch games) then the first time we went on xbox live, our whole approach to gaming as friends changed, with local multi player soon become a drinking event. I love my original xbox, Chaos Theory looked incredible I seem to remember. I'm also a Wrestling fan and against popular opinion Raw 1+2 and Wrestlemania 21 we're fantastic games for me. However, my favourite game by a long old margin was Rallisports Challenge 2. Godamn that was a great xbox game.

#177 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -

I did, but I traded it in for a PS2 after a year or so.

#178 Posted by Devilb0y (131 posts) -

Nope. Hated the Xbox and still do. Didn't rate it as a console at all. Only thing about it worth playing was Def Jam Vendetta.

#179 Posted by AuthenticM (3718 posts) -

Yeah, but not a lot of games. Halo and Halo 2, mostly. The original Mechassault and the duo-pack SegaGT/Jet Set Radio Future came with the console, also. I did not own Brute Force, but I played the shit out of it and thought it was very good. Especially with friends.

#180 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

No. I don't know a single being that has an original Xbox. What were the good exclusives for it? 

P.S: This is a serious question. Seriously.

#181 Posted by sonicrift (296 posts) -

No. I got my XBox 360 in June 2006 and my XBox in June of 2011. The latter cost me $20... 

#182 Posted by ProfessorEss (7324 posts) -
I had one, but the PS2 did all the heavy lifting around my place those days.
#183 Edited by MachidaX89 (72 posts) -

Yes. i sold it, and i recently got another one which a friend of mine didn't need.

#184 Posted by robot4me (193 posts) -

yep even had the fat controller. My og xbox died because of to many late night halo system link parties. one night we had 8 xbox system link halo 2 party.  I guess beating star wars knights of the old republic 1 and 2 at least a dozen times each didn't help.

#185 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

The original Xbox was awesome.

Rainbow Six 3

Ghost Recon

Halo 2

Project Gotham Racing 2

Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow

Midtown Madness (Cops and Robbers, oh god so much fun)

The 360 can't compete with that multiplayer line up. All hail the days where console FPS didn't aim for you.

#186 Posted by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -

no

#187 Posted by Kandycane2029 (511 posts) -

Sure did. A lot of Morrowind, KoToR, and Halo (1 & 2) was played. Come to think of it, those were the only four games I really played on my Xbox.

#188 Posted by Legend (2658 posts) -

Yes, I did. This thread should've had a poll.

#189 Posted by wealllikepie (757 posts) -

yes

#190 Posted by SUPES316UK (37 posts) -

Yes I did, loved Halo, Halo 2, Star Wars Battlefront & Battlefront 2, Doom 3, Grand Theft Auto 3, Vice City, San Andreas.

#191 Posted by mastrbiggy (229 posts) -

Same here. I played Halo CE, Halo 2, Kotor, Kotor 2, and PGR to death. I continued to solely play Halo 2 on my 360 until Gears of War.

#192 Posted by tunaburn (1890 posts) -

was the best damn halo 2 player around. once finished a normal deathmatch game 56-2. was a good day

#193 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

Nope, had a Gamecube in the last generation. My decision to get a 360 was mostly shaped by my friends playing Halo 2 and Oblivion being available.

#194 Posted by cap123 (2477 posts) -

HELL NO

xbox was rubbishbox

#195 Posted by Danteveli (1177 posts) -

Yes

#196 Posted by ZRLeigh (49 posts) -

No the controller for xbox 1 was huge and put me right off the machine. I had a ps2 though.

#197 Posted by afrofools (1341 posts) -

I did and I put an emulator on it so I could play GBA games when I was bored of the few decent games available for it. The console never died either.

#198 Posted by SuperSambo (2860 posts) -

Yes, it was my main console.

It ran multiplatform games quicker and i much preferred the controler.

#199 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7615 posts) -

Yeah, I was a Gamecube person until the lack of games became a problem for me.

Bought an Xbox with the GTA collection, Halo, Midtown Madness and PGR2. Couldn't believe what I was missing out on, it quickly became my main system, even after I bought a PS2.

#200 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Yep. Halo 2 changed my life, man.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.