Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Disc starts spinning extremely fast when I power off the system

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By JJWeatherman

To get it out of the way, I have a 360 S that I bought at launch.  

This has happened a few times. Basically what happens is I turn off my 360 and the system goes off like normal, except the disc drive starts to spin super fast. It spins faster than I've ever heard it spin playing a game normally off of a disc. It spins distressingly fast and loud. The longest I've let it go is about 10 seconds, and there's no damage to the discs. It's happened three times now if I'm remembering right. I can't be sure, but I think that each time it's happened, I've been in an app like ESPN of Zune before turning off my system. 

Anyone else have this issue?

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Yes actually I have been experiencing this as well. It only lasts for a few seconds, but it's spinning so fast, it sounds like the 360 is going to explode. I really hope that doesn't mean my 360 is about to die.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    " Yes actually I have been experiencing this as well. It only lasts for a few seconds, but it's spinning so fast, it sounds like the 360 is going to explode. I really hope that doesn't mean my 360 is about to die. "
    What kind of 360 do you have?
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    " Yes actually I have been experiencing this as well. It only lasts for a few seconds, but it's spinning so fast, it sounds like the 360 is going to explode. I really hope that doesn't mean my 360 is about to die. "
    What kind of 360 do you have? "
    It's the HDMI arcade with the built in memory. Bought it about a year and a half ago because my previous 360 bit the dust.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By mikemcn

No need to worry, It may be trying to open a wormhole to another dimension by spinning a disc at beyond light speeds, its a new feature Microsoft built into the Slim 360s. 

But, to clarify, does it not stop spinning at all after you turn off the console? You said you "let it go for 10 seconds' does that mean that when you power down the xbox, the drive simply doesn't turn off until you pull the plug or something?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By xyzygy

That sounds weird, never heard of this before. Do you have background downloads on?

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By big_jon

I get that too.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Azteck

That sounds scary.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9  Edited By Undeadpool
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " To get it out of the way, I have a 360 S that I bought at launch.   This has happened a few times. Basically what happens is I turn off my 360 and the system goes off like normal, except the disc drive starts to spin super fast. It spins faster than I've ever heard it spin playing a game normally off of a disc. It spins distressingly fast and loud. The longest I've let it go is about 10 seconds, and there's no damage to the discs. It's happened three times now if I'm remembering right. I can't be sure, but I think that each time it's happened, I've been in an app like ESPN of Zune before turning off my system.  Anyone else have this issue? "
    I've gotten that too (360 S). Do you have a wireless, rechargeable controller that you keep plugged in?
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Diamond

Are you sure it isn't just dropping the disk into the tray and the reason you hear it is because it's hitting the tray itself?

I almost always eject the disk before turning my 360s off but I've never noticed this in the times I've left the disk in.

Jesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jesus

It happened to my 360 S as well. I think it was just once of twice so far. I forget what I was doing before I shut it off but ya it always scares me.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JJWeatherman
    Sorry, I had to watch the Blazer game. I'm sad that I did, but moving along.

@Mikemcn
    said:
    "   But, to clarify, does it not stop spinning at all after you turn off the console? You said you "let it go for 10 seconds' does that mean that when you power down the xbox, the drive simply doesn't turn off until you pull the plug or something? "
    It not only "doesn't turn off", it speeds up like crazy. I just hit power again to turn it back on, then turn it back off and it's fine. Doesn't seem to happen every time, which is why I think it may have to do with the ESPN app being open. 

@xyzygy said:
    " That sounds weird, never heard of this before. Do you have background downloads on? "
    Yes, but nothing's downloading. 

@Undeadpool said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " To get it out of the way, I have a 360 S that I bought at launch.   This has happened a few times. Basically what happens is I turn off my 360 and the system goes off like normal, except the disc drive starts to spin super fast. It spins faster than I've ever heard it spin playing a game normally off of a disc. It spins distressingly fast and loud. The longest I've let it go is about 10 seconds, and there's no damage to the discs. It's happened three times now if I'm remembering right. I can't be sure, but I think that each time it's happened, I've been in an app like ESPN of Zune before turning off my system.  Anyone else have this issue? "
    I've gotten that too (360 S). Do you have a wireless, rechargeable controller that you keep plugged in? "
    I doooo. Maybe that has something to do with it? What have you heard about that? 

@Diamond said:
    " Are you sure it isn't just dropping the disk into the tray and the reason you hear it is because it's hitting the tray itself?  "
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but the disc is initially not spinning at all. Then I turn the system off and the drive goes nuts spinning the disc really fast until I turn it back on then off again.
    jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By jonnyboy

Don't worry, it has to spin them that fast to send them forward in time till the next time you turn it on.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @jonnyboy said:

" Don't worry, it has to spin them that fast to send them forward in time till the next time you turn it on. "

Wait, wait, wait. Doc, you're telling me that we need to get this baby up to 88, and that where we're going, we don't need roads? 

I forgot to mention: This is heavy.
    jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By jonnyboy
    @JJWeatherman said:

"@jonnyboy said:

" Don't worry, it has to spin them that fast to send them forward in time till the next time you turn it on. "

Wait, wait, wait. Doc, you're telling me that we need to get this baby up to 88, and that where we're going, we don't need roads?  I forgot to mention: This is heavy."
     Yeah, if Microsoft's calculations are correct, it's some serious shit.
    benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By benpack

My Wii does this, but never my 360.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By Levio

Now I want to hear a story about a super fast spinning disc getting ejected and slicing something in two.  Heck the army should get in on this tech.

Mikewrestler5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mikewrestler5

I'm also having an issue. When I turn my console off, it goes into the background download mode even when there's nothing downloading. What a piece..

But I've never heard of your situation before.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#19  Edited By Undeadpool
    @JJWeatherman: I've experienced it myself! When you keep a controller plugged in, the Xbox doesn't fully shut down until the battery is full. If your controller's anything like mine, the battery never fills up fully (or at least takes a LONG time) so your Xbox is in a sort of "sleep mode" for a lot of the time. The problem for me arises when I unplug the controller in order to fully shut the Xbox down, then plug it back in too soon so the thing sort of "jolts" awake and everything is running really fast when it turns fully on. Does that sound at all like your experience?
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Burns098356GX

Try doing a master-reset, or possibly disconnecting the power supply for a few mins after you shut it down.

Avatar image for redeyesbluebunny
    RedEyesBlueBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RedEyesBlueBunny

take the disc out before you turn it off. and call the ghostbusters

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Undeadpool said:
    " @JJWeatherman: I've experienced it myself! When you keep a controller plugged in, the Xbox doesn't fully shut down until the battery is full. If your controller's anything like mine, the battery never fills up fully (or at least takes a LONG time) so your Xbox is in a sort of "sleep mode" for a lot of the time. The problem for me arises when I unplug the controller in order to fully shut the Xbox down, then plug it back in too soon so the thing sort of "jolts" awake and everything is running really fast when it turns fully on. Does that sound at all like your experience? "
    Doesn't sound exactly the same. I should say though that my controller actually doesn't charge at all (I hate Microsoft products sometimes). So I just leave the charge kit plugged in almost at all times. My controller doesn't even try to charge when I turn off my console, it's ridiculous. 

But yeah, it just happens to me when I turn it off. No other actions taken. Although I just turned it off a minute ago and it's fine. Oh wait, I just glanced over and my charge kit is unplugged at the controller end. Mayhaps this could be a lead.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @RedEyesBlueBunny said:
    " take the disc out before you turn it off. and call the ghostbusters "
    I wouldn't want to waste their time. The light on my Xbox is green, so I think I'm safe to assume: trap is clean. 

Besides, they told me to stop calling after that  last incident.
    strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By strainedeyes

This just happened with my brand new 360 S, scared the shit out of me. I had just finished using the Gamertag suggestion wheel for a bit and used the guide button to turn the console off.

Did this ever cause real trouble for anyone, or is it just a random non-issue?

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By rjayb89

Hm, this has happened to me as well. Pretty random as far as I can tell. If I can remember correctly, it usually happened when I touched the power button on my 360 S to turn it off.

codynewill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#26  Edited By codynewill

I've had this problem with my Xbox 360 S, but only when I shut down the console with the Xbox guide button. I haven't noticed any damage to my discs or how the system runs, it just gets rilled up every once in a while.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By superfriend

Ugh, most of you guys seem to leave discs in the tray. I don´t know why, but I´ve never done that.

I EXTRA-didn´t do it on my 360 since that launch unit was basically eating discs or something. So. Many. Scratches.

GiantBomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GiantBomber

Yeah I've heard of this, apparently it's the spirit of Steve Jobs seeking to kill the root of all evil. Physical Media.

TheGoatMan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By TheGoatMan1

I've had this happen with my "S" console as well. Does your power light flash slowly while it is happening. That is what mine does.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NTM

I think it's weird how/when people leave discs in their consoles once they're done playing. It's... wrong. To me, it's a sign that someone doesn't care for their system all that much. It may not say anywhere that it's bad for it, or it might, but I like to think it does.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32  Edited By Justin258

Just make sure to take the disc out before shutting the console down if you think it's going to hurt something.

Also, make sure you unplug all rechargeable controllers. Leaving a still-charging controller in keeps the Xbox on for a little while for some stupid reason.

@RedEyesBlueBunny said:

take the disc out before you turn it off. and call the ghostbusters
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#33  Edited By musubi

Sorry to raise a zombie thread but I just did a google search to see if this was a thing with anyone else or just me and oddly enough this thread was like 2nd google result. Anyways same thing with me the 2 times I get it is when exiting an app or demo that runs exclusively off the HDD or sometimes when I enter the avatar editor. Its also really odd that it spins up discs when you play demos. Was playing Dragon's Dogma Demo turned it off just now and it spun up pretty loud. Haven't had this happen in a while so its scared the crap out of me.

I don't think its a hardware issue at all has to be some odd bug due to the disc check stuff that they added. Its pretty random so....I guess I won't worry about it but still when it happens it legit sounds like your xbox is going to explode.

mscupcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By mscupcakes

This has happened to me a few times since I bought my Xbox S in September, never really gave it any second thought until now.

Vandical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Vandical

Same thing happens to me, I have the Gears S Console. I initially thought it was a fan trying to cool it off but every once and awhile when I open the avatar marketplace it also does that. Also now that I think about it when I would start up Halo Reach or Gears 3 it would spin super fast (even though they are installed to the HDD) for a few minutes then stop.

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37  Edited By deanoxd

i have a launch 360 s as well and it does the same thing but not all the time, i asked MS support about it and they didn't believe me, they assumed i was confused about whether the console was on or off. But everything works great so i just don't worry about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Maybe your console is just a transformer and it's getting ready to transform. Make sure it's not a decepticon.

DefAde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#39  Edited By DefAde

I can't believe people are getting their panties in a twist about leaving discs in the drive when the machine is switched off.... this has been an acceptable practice since the dawn of disc based media, be it a portable CD player (remember those, they were a dumb idea) or a games console.

Regarding the mental disc spinning... i've experienced this also about a dozen times since moving to an Xbox slim... sometimes on switch off, sometimes upon exiting the avatar editor... it has nothing to do with leaving discs or peripherals plugged in... it's clearly a very strange and rare bug in the firmware....

At this point in the Xbox's life, there are so many iterations and various combinations of motherboards and disc-drives, that there is always going to be situations that exists whereby a random bug will affect a small percentage of people with a certain configuration of hardware that doesn't effect anyone else... hence it's very easy for Microsoft to be totally unaware of the issue (think back to the last Dashboard update where a number of people had weird dark videos issues that many other people didn't get - i for one, never suffered that one)

The mad spinning disc bug is not a major issue, the spinning stops on it's own accord around 15 seconds or so after the console is switched off - nothing blows up, no damage is caused to the disc, the world carries on turning

Vandical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Vandical
    @believer258:Leaving a still-charging controller in keeps the Xbox on for a little while for some stupid reason.

I was under the impression that leaving a controller plugged in lets it finish charging then it would power off once finished?

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By Nilazz

I have the same problem, sends chills down my spine everytime!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42  Edited By Justin258

@Vandical said:

@believer258:Leaving a still-charging controller in keeps the Xbox on for a little while for some stupid reason.

I was under the impression that leaving a controller plugged in lets it finish charging then it would power off once finished?

Yes, that's what happens.

Old thread, duders.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.