Disc Tray not ejecting

#1 Edited by kerse (2113 posts) -

So lately every once in a while my disc tray just no longer ejects, I can hear the motors inside trying but it won't come out. It seems like something might be blocking it maybe but it only happens like once a month but it gets harder and harder to get it to work again. Anyone else have this happen? I'm afraid of having a game get stuck in there.

#2 Edited by spiceninja (3062 posts) -

I've had the same problem. The reason it's doing that is because there is dust built up around the rubber band that moves to open the tray. You can easily fix this. I recommend watching this video from ScrewAttack, they'll show you how to do it.

#3 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1225 posts) -

I don't know if the Slim60s have it, but the original 360s had a secret disc tray eject button under the faceplate in case of stuff like this.

#4 Posted by Butler (384 posts) -

I had the same problem, switching it from vertical to horizontal position helped me. Although this isn't solving the root problem, it still helped with getting it to consistently open.

#5 Posted by kerse (2113 posts) -

@PlasmaBeam44 said:

I've had the same problem. The reason it's doing that is because there is dust built up around the rubber band that moves to open the tray. You can easily fix this. I recommend watching this video from ScrewAttack, they'll show you how to do it.

Awesome thanks, I thought it was gonna be a lot worse than that. I wonder how you would get the tray open again if you accidentally let it slide back in.

#6 Posted by believer258 (11902 posts) -

@TheCreamFilling said:

I don't know if the Slim60s have it, but the original 360s had a secret disc tray eject button under the faceplate in case of stuff like this.

All disc drives are supposed to have that very button.

OP: Yeah, I've been having the same issues. Usually I can just wait a minute and push the eject button again, or turn it off and wait, but if that doesn't work then I have to turn the console off, pop the face plate off, push the aforementioned eject button with a pen or something, and then close it and that makes it work again. Actually starting the game, however, usually doesn't fail.

#7 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

I had that problem. I pulled the front plate off and reattached it.

#8 Posted by codynewill (166 posts) -

As long as the games are playing, then I'd say it is probably just the dust buildup that brought up. If the discs stop playing and the console is making mechanical noises, you're in trouble.

#9 Edited by milsorgen (30 posts) -

I had a problem like that on my original first gen unit. I would hit eject and it would pop out a fraction of an inch and then retreat. At first it was just once in a while and might only require the occasional fiddling with the console but I quickly learned that with it in a horizontal position and exhibiting said behavior, the best remedy was a quick sharp closed fist bump to the top of the console above the drive: immediately after hitting the eject button. This method worked for me for some time, however the console would increasingly mistake game discs for DVDs, as in "Please insert this disc into an Xbox 360 Console" and that was not a problem smacking it could fix.

#10 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1545 posts) -

Replace or clean the belt in the drive, it's the inevitable fate of all disc drives.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.