Do you install all of your games to hard drive?

• 59 results
#1 Posted by ElNeebre (99 posts) -

I just noticed that my 360 Slim is down to 90GB after installing nearly every game I own.

I haven't really noticed any load time changes, but it's definitely a LOT quieter than playing without installing.

#2 Posted by SadPatrol (502 posts) -

When I remember I do

#3 Posted by pyromagnestir (4339 posts) -

I install it when I start it and remove it once I beat it.

#4 Posted by invadernick (260 posts) -

Yeap I make it a point to install everything before I play a game.

#5 Posted by Ben_H (3444 posts) -

Nope, I only have a 20GB drive so I can't really. I might delete a bunch of stuff and install Forza though. My Xbox has lasted since 2007.

#6 Posted by Commisar123 (1798 posts) -

I usually do, it makes them perform better

#7 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6403 posts) -

I do it for the games I am currently playing.

#8 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

I tend to install whatever few games I'm currently playing and then delete the ones I'm not. But then again, I only have a 60gb hard drive. I had to go through and delete a bunch of games from it the other day. I wouldn't have believed that hard drives could fill up so quickly, but game installs will really eat away at your storage space.

#9 Posted by punisherkaos (278 posts) -

Everytime I do the games always freeze. Then I uninstall and their fine :(

#10 Posted by Nux (2427 posts) -

Nope. I don't really see a reason to as I have never really had any problems with load times.

#11 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Yeah, I still have like 70 gbs left.

#12 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5818 posts) -

Yes. My xbox is loud as hell otherwise.

#13 Edited by louiedog (2335 posts) -

I have 4 or 5 disc games installed right now. All of them I'm either playing or plan to come back to in the near future. I have to delete something before I can install another one because I've only got 5 GB free on my 250 GB drive. If Microsoft let us use 500 GB - 1 TB off the shelf drives I'd keep all of my games installed.

With the exception of a handful of short (~30 min) sessions, I've never played a game off the disc since they implemented the installation feature.

#14 Posted by Sjupp (1912 posts) -

I actually never do that. Maybe I should? Though I rarely use my 360.

#15 Posted by Redbullet685 (6090 posts) -

Hell no. I only have a 20 gig hard drive.

#16 Posted by natetodamax (19220 posts) -

I only install the games I'm actively playing.

#17 Posted by Vextroid (1430 posts) -

Nope. Rockin' a 20GB HDD.

#18 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1212 posts) -

Yeah. Games almost always perform better/faster. I have the 320 GB so space is not an issue.

#19 Posted by Hector (3381 posts) -

I do. Games load faster and system is quieter.

#20 Posted by TheIronYuppie (120 posts) -

Absolutely. Better load times and the quiet are just bonuses, I do it because I live in perpetual fear of my box Red Ringing. Anything I can do to reduce power draw and/or heat I am all for.

#21 Posted by NTM (7547 posts) -

Yes, the game or games I'm playing at the time I install, and all the games I stop playing, I uninstall.

#22 Posted by laserbolts (5370 posts) -

Definetly. If you have the space why not do it? Sure you wait 5 minutes or whatever but in most cases it is totally worth it.

#23 Posted by TheGamerGeek (2500 posts) -

I do when I realize my 360 is eating my disk.

And burping at the same time...

It's loud is what I'm saying.

#24 Posted by Robot_Sneakers (417 posts) -

I usually install my games as soon as I open them, and then when I need space I'll go through and delete any I don't play as much.

#25 Posted by JJOR64 (19070 posts) -

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

I do it for the games I am currently playing.

Same thing for me.

#26 Posted by sickVisionz (1268 posts) -

@ElNeebre said:

I haven't really noticed any load time changes

Which is why I don't install games. It seems like a waste of time and HDD space. When they first added it, I tried on a couple of games I didn't notice a change in loading. If there was one, it must have been like shaving 1 or 2 seconds. I did notice the 7+ minutes it took to install though.

As far as loudness, I live alone and purchased a nice sound setup so that I don't have to play my games at whisper levels. I never notice the 360 over the sound of the game audio.

#27 Posted by mlarrabee (3064 posts) -

Always. When installed, the thing is quieter than my disk-less PS3, and the more strain I can transfer from CD-ROM to HDD, the better.

By the by, there's a pretty helpful thread I've used to determine which games should/not be installed. It's a short list, but I've referred to it several times throughout the few years installation has been an option.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202456

#28 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Yeah. I usually wont play a game unless I have it installed.

#29 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1542 posts) -

Yep. Mostly for sound/vibration purposes. I have my 360 on my desk and when there's a disc spinning the vibration gets quite annoying.

#30 Posted by Dimsey (967 posts) -

Nope. I look at load times as small breaks so I don't really mind them being a little lengthy as as far as console noise goes I usually have my TV up loud enough that I can't hear it, so not a factor. 

#31 Posted by bybeach (5004 posts) -

I tend to for the AAA big demanding games. Shadows of the damned ran fine off the disc(and I really enjoyed that games despite some fustrations..and I have a little bit to finish..heh) But Halo Reach got the HD treatemant. I wasn't going to screw around. So did Gears of War 3..but I still think fondly of my GoW 1 on the PC. That was pretty neat.

#32 Posted by NMC2008 (1237 posts) -

Only the ones I plan on playing, some games I keep installed just in case I want to play all of a sudden(Lips, Guitar Heros, DJ Heros, Sonic Generations, Sonic Unleashed, Beautiful Katamari, Burnout Revenge).

#33 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

I install everything before I play it, I can't stand the 360 when it's being super loud.

I should look into getting a slim, I suppose.

#34 Posted by mrcraggle (1979 posts) -

Usually. It helps with things other than load times like texture buffering. It was pretty much mandatory for something like Mass Effect or Mirror's Edge or maybe other games with M & E.

#35 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

Everyone keeps mentioning noise and load times. For me it's wear and tear. The optical drive in my original Xbox died. My roommate's 360's drive died a few weeks after his warranty expired. Luckily it red ringed shortly after so he didn't have to pay for a repair. Two other friends have had theirs die as well. The less stress that I can put on my drive the better.

#36 Posted by sashimi_biscut (98 posts) -

I have a slim and I try to install every new game I get. I do notice a difference in the load speed and sometimes better performance. The only one I had to uninstall was skyrim, because of the texture bug.

#37 Posted by YOUNGLINK (552 posts) -

My 20 gig launch 360 needs all the help it can get so YES, always be installing ALWAYS!

#38 Posted by believer258 (12210 posts) -

Yes, I install new games when I get them and delete the games that I currently feel no need to play. I do it mostly for noise purposes, though the damn thing just sounds like a quieter jet engine now, and to make the disc drive last longer. And just because, why not? I can shave a few seconds off of load times and it doesn't cost me a dime.

#39 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1771 posts) -

I usually only install the game I am currently playing because I barely have any space on my 120GB HDD. I blame Rock Band.

#40 Posted by LukeyBaby93 (14 posts) -

When I'm playing the game I do but as soon as I stop playing it I uninstall it to free up space for the next game that I start to play.

#41 Posted by Morningstar (2242 posts) -

Why of course.

#42 Posted by razkazz (167 posts) -

I install whatever I'm playing at the moment, mainly because otherwise the framerate is noticeably worse.

#43 Posted by TEHMAXXORZ (1133 posts) -

No. I'm patient enough to wait through load screens and I can ignore the sounds of the disc.

And besides, the download sizes for games is ridiculous some times! Gears 3 is like 9 gb. Sure not all games are that huge, but I own around 30 retail games and 20 arcade games or something, so I can't spare the space of installing all of my retail games.

#44 Posted by Kiro (288 posts) -

I honestly see no reason not to install games.

#45 Posted by Zidd (1857 posts) -

Always.

#46 Posted by MideonNViscera (2252 posts) -

Yeah, always. I have a 320 gig hard drive, so why not. Now that I've been doing it for years it's really annoying to listen to an uninstalled disc.

#47 Posted by Quarters (1885 posts) -

I have the old 20 GB or whatever, so I can't do that for crap, unless I just want to clear out all DLC in order to install something. It's a major pain. It is nice when stuff is installed though. Much smoother all around.

#48 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

No, very rarely do i ever install games to my hard drive. I have one of the early 20gig units, actually now that im thinking about it i have skyrim installed, and i just bought skyrim for the pc. so i can uninstall that.

#49 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Always.

The 360 disk drive is a rickety piece of shit, so the less I run it, the better.

Also, pretty much every game loads faster while installed.

There's really no reason not to install to HDD.

#50 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

I've never installed a game to my 360.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.