Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Do you remember the RROD?

• 51 results
    AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AcidBrandon18

By RROD I mean the Red Ring of Death. It was an infamous early XBOX 360 dilemma that caused many consoles to break. I only suffered through one RROD ,but have known people who have suffered from far more. I'm curious as to how many RROD's you have had if at any and whether the RROD incident will come into your purchasing decision for the Next-Generation of consoles.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Feanor

I do not but I suffer from a condition. However I do have a tattoo that says REMEMBER RRODS. Thank you for helping me solve that mystery.

Avatar image for deactivated-5945386c8a570
    deactivated-5945386c8a570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

i have to see what each companies have to offer next gen before i make any decisions, but im surely not going to buy day one anymore, i wait and see, take my time.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By JTB123

I have had 6, I think my 4th 360 only lasted about 3 months. Really hope this isn't the case next time around.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TruthTellah

I have never had a RROD, but I have heard of friends getting them. I certainly remember it, as people do see them sometimes nowadays on older 360s. I hope the console builds for the next generation will be better, but to keep costs down, I'm sure they'll have their own issues.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SomeJerk

I'm going to invest in a launch console as the next generation comes. Normally I would not advise this, but I live in Europe, where by EU law electronics manufacturers are required to ship goods with two year warranties, and not only that, I live in Sweden where if it can be proved that a dead item, say a 360 RROD, was not my fault, it would get replaced or reimbursed fully by the manufacturer, thanks to a government agency that looks into these kind of things. Not many people know of its existence, even less use it.

andrew2696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By andrew2696

@SomeJerk: That's a pretty great law. I wonder if Canada has anything like that. (Probably not.)

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SomeJerk
    @andrew2696 said:

@SomeJerk: That's a pretty great law. I wonder if Canada has anything like that. (Probably not.)

Probably too close to the corporate lawmaking of the US for it to happen :(

I feel sorry for all you guys who suffered RROD, YLOD and WiiConnect24 burn and could do nothing but throw it away or pay for repairs. Save your receipts! I should learn that some day.
    Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bell_End

do you remember space hoppers...

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By ReyGitano

I had my Xbox break 3 or 4 times. Once by RROD, once by disc-tray, and once because of Vinny Caravella.

System failures won't effect my buying decision since it won't be something we'll know about right away. As for this gen I always had my consoles replaced for free, and when Vinny broke my 360 I even got a Giant Bomb shirt out of it, so in a way, it turned out for the best.

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Mijati

RROD, man that was years ago! How do people still remember something that happened in the last 5 years! Crazy man!

I had one RROD, I swapped my console with the store I bought it from as within 1 year. My second console broke as well but not RROD, the two after that have both been fine and work great.

My Wii died within a month of me getting it with corrupt system data causing the console to fail to launch.

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Revan_NL

Ah, the RROD, along with the disc scratching issue helped kill the 360 in Europe. Had two myself, but as mentioned there is a two year warranty, and I believe MS extended it to three. I really think that the 360 would be more succesfull on the European mainland if it didn't have the RROD.

L44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By L44

This is the first time I've seen it referred to as the RROD, and unless you are 5, how could you not remember?

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By TobbRobb

Launch 360, 6 years and running without and RROD. :D

That said, it hasn't really been overused for those 6 years.

amardilo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#16  Edited By amardilo

My launch console lasted about 3 years before it got the Red Ring of Death. The refurbished/replacement console they sent me lasted just over a year before that also got the Red Ring of Death, I sent that one back and got another replacement from Mircosoft but I've since replaced that console with a Xbox 360 S.

My old console is connected to a TV in another room (not my main setup), it works but I don't play it much.

Keavy_Rain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Keavy_Rain

My RROD's were tied to two things: Me wanting a game and me playing FFXI.

First RROD occured the day after I beat Maat in FFXI.

Second RROD occured the Sunday before Mass Effect came out.

Third RROD occured after I received Lost Odyssey as a Valentine's day gift. Disc one in hand, open the tray, RROD.

Fourth (and final) occurred the day after I bought a PS3.

My fourth RROD replacement was traded in for a Slim 360, no issues since.

trav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By trav

@Jaytow said:

I... REMEMBER....

I DO...TOO...UOH!

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Devil240Z

Ive never had an RROD. and I continue to never have one cause my 360 isn't even hooked up and hasn't been for the last several months. GOD THERE ARE NO GAMES FOR THIS THING. I'm dying for a reason to plug my 360 in.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Devil240Z

@Keavy_Rain said:

My RROD's were tied to two things: Me wanting a game and me playing FFXI.

First RROD occured the day after I beat Maat in FFXI.

Second RROD occured the Sunday before Mass Effect came out.

Third RROD occured after I received Lost Odyssey as a Valentine's day gift. Disc one in hand, open the tray, RROD.

Fourth (and final) occurred the day after I bought a PS3.

My fourth RROD replacement was traded in for a Slim 360, no issues since.

My best 360 memories are from FF11. I remember running around in the woods fighting stuff. and then I was in a desert fighting stuff with some dudes I met in the woods. My best FF11 memory is being able to replace the music with music from my Ipod. Having a well integrated podcast listening experience while playing a game was great, I havent had once since.

mostly cause I never play 360 anymore and when I play games while listening to podcast I have to account for story beats and pause the podcast so I dont get distracted from the story of the game.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By buft

@JTB123 said:

I have had 6, I think my 4th 360 only lasted about 3 months. Really hope this isn't the case next time around.

im in exactly the same situation, except now that RROD seems to be going away all of my freaking disk drives keep breaking.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DukesT3

Mine crapped out in 09 I think or something. Actually paid a dude 40$ or something to try and fix it... then it only lasted for like three days so that was cool.

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Stete

Of course I do, that's why I never bought an original 360. Every single person I know who had an original 360 had a RROD, which is the most ridiculous hardware failure rate I have ever seen. The slim version works damn fine for me although I barely use it and I have it sitting on top of a fan.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mrpandaman

@L44 said:

This is the first time I've seen it referred to as the RROD, and unless you are 5, how could you not remember?

Really? You've never seen it referred as RROD? That's crazy.

Anyways I went through 5 360s and the longest lasting one was 9 months and that one wasn't RROD, the laser on the disc reader became really messed up and made perfect rings around my GeOW and Oblivion discs; made them unplayable. So i went to Best Buy used my warranty, got a new 360 and was able to get new copies of GeOW and Oblivion through persuasion while giving them my dinged up copies.

3 months later got my first RROD, went to Best Buy, was able to get another 360 using my "warranty" which should've been used up. And then repeat that part of the story 3 more times.

Finally on the 5th time (it was mid 2008), I said fuck it, I'm not dealing with it anymore I'm getting an 80GB PS3 (no ps2 compatibility model). My PS3 has already lasted 4 times longer than all my 360s combined.

@Devil240Z said:

Ive never had an RROD. and I continue to never have one cause my 360 isn't even hooked up and hasn't been for the last several months. GOD THERE ARE NO GAMES FOR THIS THING. I'm dying for a reason to plug my 360 in.

You know what's going to happen when you turn it on? Bam! RROD. That's what happened to one of mine. I didn't turn it on for 2 months and it immediately RROD.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Canteu

I am on my 6th xbox, but 2 of the faults were the disc drives failing.

Those disk drives suck balls.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By Hizang

Never forget.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By DeeGee

My launch 360 is still chugging along perfectly fine. Always thought it was crazy that people have to buy the console more then once.

cutyoface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By cutyoface

I indeed remember because I went through 7 Xbox's

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#29  Edited By AndrewB

Of course, because it happened to me twice and so many other people that every time I hear someone boast about their console working perfectly fine, I wonder just how lucky they realize they are. The original model has a known, though easily fixed, defect in the heatsink design. It's one of the reasons they rushed a quick fix and then a manufacturing process shrink (then ultimately, a new model altogether).

Will it affect my future purchase? No. Because I kind of have faith that a second failure on the magnitude of the original Xbox 360 will result in much graver consequences than this round. It still baffles me that Microsoft got away with what they did, even with the significant losses they took doing everything *but* recalling the system. I think Microsoft has learned their lesson.

Edit: indeed, the original disc drives were also faulty. Though it's not the only console to suffer from this; the PS2 was notorious.

Amducious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Amducious

Never, but then again I only bought a 360 when they bought out the shiny revised edition in 2010.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By penguindust

...Pepperidge Farms remembers.

I red-ringed twice on my launch model 360 but it was in the 3-year warranty for Microsoft fixed it for free each time. I haven't had any trouble since, but my game time on the box has substantially dropped since then. My PS3 yellow-lighted last Christmas. I replaced that one with a Slim.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Since they offered the option to install games I havent had a single problem with my 360 plus games load and perform better aswell.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By Sambambo

I suffered one on an Xbox Elite.

The week after I sold my Xbox launch it got the RROD though, which was still (by about 2 days) in warranty, which was lucky for my mate.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ShaggE

Of course I do. 6 years isn't that long, and RROD didn't really stop until 2010 (I say "stop" even though it can still happen, if only because there are no rings on the Slim).

As for myself, I never got it. I did get E74, though, which is just as bad. The refurb they sent me has been going strong for 4 years, thankfully. *knocks wood* Dunno if I'm lucky or if they just did an exceptional fix job, but for a refurb from the launch era, it's a hardy little box. I still want a Slim just to put my mind at ease during long sessions, though.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By JasonR86

I've had two. I think I'm on my way for a third because my xbox sounds like a jet engine and the disc drive won't open unless a disc is already in the system. What a piece of shit design the xbox was and still is.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MideonNViscera

I had one, but I came in somewhat late this gen so by the time I got my replacement everything was pretty much good to go. I can only imagine if I'd bought a 360 in 2005 or whenever it came out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I never had RROD, but my xbox died once. I think after the way Microsoft handled it last time, I wouldn't have any hesitation buying a new one. Microsoft customer service was actually pretty good.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Devil240Z

@mrpandaman: Oh also mine is a jasper model so I think its fairly RROD resistant.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39  Edited By Cube

Uh, yeah it wasn't like it was that long ago, lol.

Gantrathor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Gantrathor

I have gone through 7 RROD cycles. I've only had to pay for the repair once, though, and it wasn't Microsoft who repaired it. But now my disc tray has broken, and I don't think I'll repair it again. I'll Probably switch over to Playstation, because Adbox LIVE is getting pretty annoying. What a colossal piece of shit.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FengShuiGod

My 360 rrod'd back in '07. Went PC and never looked back.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BraveToaster

I don't remember RROD. I mean, it didn't happen this generation, so it's hard to remember.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I've had two xbox 360s my entire life. The first I got shortly after launch and it lasted until last year when the disc drive gave out. Somehow I avoided the Red Ring of Death, I guess I'm like one of those people that never get's chicken pox.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By Justin258

I've only had one and my 360 was shipped to and from MS in a week. No big deal for me.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By NTM

No, it doesn't really have any affect on the purchase, 'cause I'll want to play them as soon as I can, but I do fear that the next gen, as with almost all technology, certainly consoles, that something will go wrong, even if you take the best care you can with them. I've had two 360's die before, but luckily the one I have now is doing fine, and has been for years now. Also, I hope you're joking with the "do you remember?" part.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#46  Edited By WickedCobra03

Yeah, and I am currently super leery about buying anything straight away next-gen upon launch. I mean I know I have backlogs that span all the way to the late 80's and early 90's anyways... so its not a lack of games I have to play. Maybe I will just stick with PC for the first few years of the next generation.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By EquitasInvictus

I got a '360 around release and experienced the RROD right about the time it became a big deal. It was extremely devastating for me because I was so into playing Gears of War with friends back then that I went so far as to buy a second Xbox 360 as I sent the first one for repairs with the intention of returning the second '360 once my old one came back. Never did actually return the second '360.

I would never go so far as buy a second system anymore, however! I'm not as naive as I was during my teen years!

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Ben_H

The RROD is still a very real possibility for me. I've had my Xbox since 2007 (It's an Arcade with a 20GB harddrive I bought from Microsoft used) so it will likely happen to it at some point. My brother's Xbox from 2006 got one a few years back so I'm shocked mine hasn't yet. I kinda want it to so I can get a new one with a proper sized HDD but I can't justify buying a new one when my old one works just fine.

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#49  Edited By GoofyGoober

I never got the RROD. I got disc drive failure and the E74 error. That Error was the AV chip malfunctioning or some shit. The screen went all crazy and then when you cut it back on you got black error screen. Does anybody remember the infamous "Towel trick"? were you wrapped a RROD'd 360 in a towel, turned it on and let it run while it heated itself up and fixed itself for a short period.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#50  Edited By Green_Incarnate

Hell yea I do. I went through like 5 consoles. Probably the biggest reason I wont get next xbox.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.