Does anyone know if the 60 GB Premium bundle will be RROD free?

#1 Posted by manathirst (167 posts) -

Does anyone know if the 60GB 360 bundle will be RROD free and be more quiet than the previous versions?  If so, how will the new chip compare to the old one?

#2 Posted by Nobility (295 posts) -

Still the same and no changes until 65nm parts come out.

#3 Posted by JakeB (19 posts) -

All xbox 360s will always red ring you just gotta give it some time :)

#4 Posted by Ryan_ (174 posts) -

there is never gonna be a red ring free xbox, even if it was perfect there is always gonna be those times when something breaks inside of your console

#5 Posted by elliooo (293 posts) -

There will never be an xbox RROD free - otherwise, RROD wouldn't exist - it's an error message, so there has to be an error for it to be there! :P So yeah, hopefully it's improved and is far less likely, but definitely still would call the new bundle RROD free.

#6 Posted by Korrupt (31 posts) -

While they won't be RROD free, there is a chance that the smaller gpu/cpu will start shipping with the 60GB Xbox 360.  If thats the case, the chance of getting RROD on those consoles should be lower.

#7 Posted by suneku (2997 posts) -

probably not... if problem hasn't been solved by now... I don't see it getting completely resolved ever

#8 Posted by Matthew (1914 posts) -

I don't really think there is such a thing as RRoD free.  But the chances will be much slimmer of said event happening.  Just don't cradle your xbox in a towel, and you should be okay ;)

#9 Posted by Toseph (370 posts) -

Just don't keep it vertically and keep it well ventilated and most 360s will be fine

#10 Posted by tec3297 (1170 posts) -

I drawing a blank with the RROD acronym...

#11 Posted by Geldart (15 posts) -

Thomas: RROD = red ring of death, the signal the Xbox360 gives when it wants a ten day holiday at a Microsoft rebuild shop...

On my third Xbox360 now, anyone going for a record?

#12 Posted by Julian_jr (418 posts) -

It'll probably be better, the new ones now are already a lot better.

#13 Posted by NinjaMunkey (204 posts) -

I doubt it will be RROD free.

The 360 gets RROD because it gets too hot. MS tried to make the 360 smaller than the origional xbox,  which makes it heat up faster, also the soiler between the CPU and GPU is more brittle than what they used in the xbox, I think its becuase its lead free, so it developed hairline cracks when it gets too hot.

so basiclly keep the 360 in a place where it has room to ventilate. Mine has its own open shelf so it is fine, plus I dont play it for huge amounts of time.

#14 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4779 posts) -

I've yet to have a problem, but you gotta understand there is no such thing as a problem free system.

#15 Posted by Nateh8sYou (18 posts) -

yeah they wont be rrod free till the Jasper chipset starts rolling out

#16 Posted by AnonymousLegion (64 posts) -

It will still RROD it will probably still sound like a broken tornado machine.

#17 Posted by ManMadeGod (1587 posts) -

You have much to learn young one; there is no such thing as a RROD free Xbox 360.

#18 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

There will probably be a smaller chance since on newer models they have been putting in heat sinks. Not sure about the probability of failure, but good luck.

#19 Posted by sdodd02 (722 posts) -

I don't think it can be gaurnteed

#20 Posted by Biggie (43 posts) -

If the new 60GB use the new Jasper Motherboards, then the chances that they will be effected by the RROD will be greatly reduced. However the same is true of the 175w Falcon systems, less power = less heat problem.  Then again the Jasper 360's may have other issues.

#21 Posted by Met2609 (555 posts) -

Are we sure that the newer ones are completely RROD free?

I'm sure that there's a greater chance that yours will survive if you buy the newer one.

#22 Posted by Civvie (96 posts) -

I have yet to RROD with my elite. Just keep your XBOX away from the carpet, towels, and pets so nothing gets in there to block the fan or combust  and you should be fine.

#23 Posted by MAV3R1CK (125 posts) -

I have heard rumors flying that the new Jasper engine for the 360 on these 60GB models will eliminate the RROD from the 360 completely. Obviously, its been almost 3 years since the launch of the 360 and i'm sure also that the RROD has been fixed.

#24 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

I would imagine that Microsoft would have figured of how to fix the problem by now.  Hopefully it will be done with when the new 360's are released.

#25 Posted by C172Driver (63 posts) -

Like Br3adfan said, M$ has figured out the problem (I think) and the new 360s that will be put out on the shevles should be "jaspers" which are supossed to have less of a RRoD risk.

#26 Posted by Kenzo287 (722 posts) -

It shouldn't give you rrod but you take the risk of it by buying the xbox 360

#27 Posted by Smoolander (52 posts) -

My 360 just red ringed on me and about to send it off. I did all the right things by having it sitting in a well ventilated place, on a solid surface etc etc and it still went on me after 18 months. It just annoys me that you basically have to follow all these perfect steps to try and not brick your machine, and the planets have to be in constant alignment as well. I think the machine is great, but it does annoy the crap out of me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.