Does the play and charge kit not work with the 360 S?

#1 Edited by nemt (863 posts) -

I got tired of using AAs so I bought a play and charge kit last night - but I can't get it to do anything except freeze my 360. If I turn it on with the charger plugged in I get a red ring and it won't boot. If I plug it in when it's already on the whole system freezes until I unplug it. I can't get the USB ports on my PS3 or cable box to do anything either, the charging light never turns on and the controller seems dead as long a the thing's attached to it.

Any idea what could be wrong with it? It's the first party one from Microsoft. The battery it came with seems to be working fine, it's about 75% charged according to the dashboard.

#2 Edited by mscupcakes (612 posts) -

I had a similar problem with mine until I switched to a different controller. Now it works like a charm.

#3 Posted by JoeyIA (662 posts) -

I've never had a play-n-charge kit freeze an Xbox before. Are you using an old Xbox or an S? Sometimes, on the old Xboxes, "they" say to plug stuff into the back USB port because its hard-wired to the motherboard and the front ones are not; not sure it that works for the S or not.

#4 Posted by Kandycane2029 (511 posts) -

Sounds like either a faulty battery or cable. Possibly a controller flaw. I've never had a problem using a P&C kit with my slim model, though I switched to the charging station because it's faster and allows you to charge two at once (which is more convenient if you own 2+ battery packs).

#5 Edited by nemt (863 posts) -

The battery and cable are brand new, is it possible I just bought a defective one? I don't think it's the controller, as it's only about a year old too.

I'm using the one that came with my 360 S I bought about a year ago.

#6 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

Sounds defective to me. I am using the controller I received with my 360 Slim and it works fine with my play and charge kit.

#7 Posted by nemt (863 posts) -

I noticed when I plug it in as the plug inserts it lights up green for a split second. it doesn't seem to be related to a point on the metal contact (since I can position it to stay green, it just flashes once when I plug it, nothing on the unplug).

Now I'm wondering if by design it doesn't charge partially charged batteries?

#8 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

I bought a new one about a month ago and I'm not having any issues. My old ones lasted for 4 years before they completely died out. Make sure you''re not wrapping the cords because a charge won't pass through them after a while.

#9 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

Works with my 360 S, but it's only a couple months old.

#10 Posted by nemt (863 posts) -

@Axxol said:

I bought a new one about a month ago and I'm not having any issues. My old ones lasted for 4 years before they completely died out. Make sure you''re not wrapping the cords because a charge won't pass through them after a while.

I though you had solved it there for a second, since I didn't take the twist tie off the cable. Sure enough I'm still having the same problems though. No USB port will charge it - and it freezes my 360 when I plug it into the system.

Guess it's time to call MS about a replacement. I don't have high hopes though, since I threw out the box and receipt before I tested it.

#11 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

@nemt said:

@Axxol said:

I though you had solved it there for a second, since I didn't take the twist tie off the cable. Sure enough I'm still having the same problems though. No USB port will charge it - and it freezes my 360 when I plug it into the system.

Guess it's time to call MS about a replacement. I don't have high hopes though, since I threw out the box and receipt before I tested it.

Sorry about the vague post. I meant make sure you don't wrap your cord around the controller. A twist tie won't hurt the cords.

#12 Posted by nemt (863 posts) -

I'll try getting an out of box, no receipt refund from Best Buy tomorrow. Maybe their customer service desk will be so busy they won't care - plus I can give them the card I used and the date/time, most stores are pretty good about receiptless returns when you can do that.

I ordered the wall quick charge kit off Amazon, those seem to be much more realiable anyway.

#13 Edited by nemt (863 posts) -

I got a refund on my credit card from Best Buy if anyone's interested.

The best part is I kept the battery from the kit and only returned the cable, so I guess that puts me in the black technically.

So yeah if anyone needs a free controller battery, that's how to get one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.