Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

E74 Ownage Any Advice?

KennyTheSober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By KennyTheSober
    e74 ownage
    While playing Left 4 Dead off-line co-op my xbrick bought the farm. We were about to launch up some 2player co-op, when the inFAMOUS E74 system error appeared. While in my mourning, my friend pointed out that Microshaft has an extended warranty on the RRoD and the E74 errors. Maybe my recent exodus into the world of retro game emulation made my xbox jealous and as a result it decided to give up the ghost after a whole 1year 9month of solid pwnage. I'm unsure how Microsoft handles these situations in the United Kingdom, has anyone here dealt with this probelm, and have you any advice on how to go about things??
    KennyTheSober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By KennyTheSober
    e74 ownage
    While playing Left 4 Dead off-line co-op my xbrick bought the farm. We were about to launch up some 2player co-op, when the inFAMOUS E74 system error appeared. While in my mourning, my friend pointed out that Microshaft has an extended warranty on the RRoD and the E74 errors. Maybe my recent exodus into the world of retro game emulation made my xbox jealous and as a result it decided to give up the ghost after a whole 1year 9month of solid pwnage. I'm unsure how Microsoft handles these situations in the United Kingdom, has anyone here dealt with this probelm, and have you any advice on how to go about things??
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Phone up microsoft and get them to fix it.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By eclipsesis

I was in his room when it happened the look on his face was priceless (im the ffriend he speaks of), just as we are about to play left for dead, bam E 74.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Scooper

I had the Red Ring error on my console but it's still the same process as the 374. I made a blog about what I've done to get my console fixed. Check it out.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

Whatever you do, DO NOT tell them you have the E74 error, unless you're willing to pony up $100.00 for them to "fix" it.

Just call up the Microsoft Customer Service number and tell them you got the RRoD (only the RRoD is covered by the 3 year warranty, not the E74). Follow their instructions, and just keep telling them "..uhh I see three flashing red lights" and they'll buy it. This is what I did and I got my E74 error repaired free of charge, and they sent me a 1 Month XBL Gold Card ;)

..unless you're still covered by the one year warranty, then disregard the above post.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Scooper
    Jolly_Lolly said:
    Whatever you do, DO NOT tell them you have the E74 error, unless you're willing to pony up $100.00 for ... [more]
    wrong
    Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jolly_Lolly
    Scooper said:
    Jolly_Lolly said: Whatever you do, DO NOT tell them you have the E74 error, unless you're willing to pony up ... [more]
    ..would you care to elaborate what's "wrong" with my post?

Or are you just joining the troll bandwagon?
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Scooper

"This article describes the extension of the warranty to three years for general hardware failures indicated by the E74 error message."

"While the majority of Xbox 360 owners continue to have a great experience with their console, we are aware that a very small percentage of our customers have reported receiving an error that displays “E74” on their screen. After investigating the issue, we have determined that the E74 error message can indicate the general hardware failure that is associated with three flashing red lights error on the console. As a result, we have decided to cover repairs related to the E74 error message under our three-year warranty program for certain general hardware failures that was announced in July 2007."

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By jakob187

It's covered under a 3 year warranty now, just like an RRoD.

Call Microsoft, say your shit is broken, and tell them to fix it.

/thread
    KennyTheSober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KennyTheSober
    Scooper said:
    I had the Red Ring error on my console but it's still the same process as the 374. I made ... [more]
    Thankyou for your blog about getting your console repaired, set me on the right track. I've filled out the forms on the microsoft support site, just waiting for a reply on how I am to ship my unit to them. Hopefully it'll go smoothly.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Scooper
    @KennyTheSober: That should take a day or so before they send you a couple emails with what to do next. Make sure you've got a printer or somewhere you can print an A4 bit of paper because you'll need to for the label.

You can get a box ready now though. Get something without any writing or anything on the outside and make sure the flaps aren't all ripped up ect., fit your 360 snugly in that and wrap it in a bunch of bubble wrap or packing beans or whatever you got to make sure your 360 won't be rattling around all over the place. Take all the wires, plugs, controllers, discs, hard drive off/out of your 360 and put it in that box. That should save you some time so when you get the emails tomarro or whenever all you'll have to do is print out a label, tape the sucker on the box, put your 360 tightly in the box, tape up all the seams well, ring up the number on the label and arrange for them to collect it (they came 1.5hours after I called!). Dude comes round, takes your box and goes away and then if you're anything like me it's 10 days later and you still haven't got it back! >:(

Good luck!

Edit: Just to be sure, I meant put nothing in the box apart from your 360. Keep all your wires, games, hard drive at home and only send off the Xbox by itself :)
    KennyTheSober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KennyTheSober

Got me UPS label printed out, after breaking out an old printer, right ball ache, spent the best part of last night trying to get it to quit 'align cartridges mode' ended up bootin it out of frustration and it fired up! And on another note, I had to seriously modify a quavers cardboard box, hope it holds out on its way to Germany. Dudes supposed to pick it up tomorrow.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Scooper

Make sure it's a decent box because they'll probably be throwing it around like monkies.
    Btw, I checked on UPS and they're apparently delivering my repaired 360 to me tomarrow! Horay! I bet it breaks a week later.

KennyTheSober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KennyTheSober

Yea I just received my 'repaired' 360, UPS pwns. So anyhoo, they sent another unit, new serial number and such. Plugged in all the wires, booted it up, and it froze. Left it for about five minutes, then shut it off and added me harddrive and wireless adapter, about half-way through the intial setup, it froze again. Looks like a decent dose of Microshaft this one, its now running ok, the menus seem a little clunky, but dvd drive sounds horrible, like a f'king helicopter, this refurbed unit has definately seen better days :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.