Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Easy platformers

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BSw

Recently, my girlfriend asked me if there existed a relatively easy game like the old Mario games that she could play on my 360. Usually, she doesn't really take an interest in playing games, and the only game she ever really enjoyed playing on the 360 was the HD remake of the original Prince of Persia that was released a couple of years ago, because she remembered the game from when she was young. She is therefore mainly interested in an accessible 2D (platform) game. I normally don't have a problem coming up with an answer to these type of questions, but now, I really don't know.

Games I thought of were 'Splosion Man, Sonic, Eets: Chowdown (not a platformer, but maybe interesting nonetheless), and Rayman Origins, of which 'Splosion Man seemed to be the most easy-to-enter one. However, after seeing her struggle with the demo (although she completed it eventually), I doubt she'll make it any far in to the game while still having fun. I checked almost the entire list of (European) XBLA releases, but nothing popped out as a clear winner. I’m checking The Fancy Pants Adventure right now to see if that might be something she’d enjoy, but I was wondering if you guys have got some suggestions?

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Karl_Boss

I thought Cloning Clyde was pretty easy

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By big_jon

Rayman Origins is pretty forgiving, it is also a very good game, it's funny, and cute too.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By Dagbiker

@big_jon said:

Rayman Origins is pretty forgiving, it is also a very good game, it's funny, and cute too.

liston to the bombcast of the week of 11-22-11, where Patrick talks about playing Rayman origins with his GF. He says something along the lines of it was to hard for Katie to keep up with him and she was just stuck in the respawn state for the whole level. Im not trying to invalidate Rayman Origins, i haven't played it, but it sounds like it wouldn't be one to play co-op.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By WinterSnowblind

The Maw on XBLA is really good, although quite short. All of the Lego games come highly recommend too (which are platformer-ish)

Rayman Origins is definitely worth checking out too, though it apparently does get quite tough.

The new Spyro is a platformer too, right?

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By big_jon

@Dagbiker: It's more forgiving than the other options.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By Dagbiker

@big_jon said:

@Dagbiker: It's more forgiving than the other options.

I agree, also what other options.

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BSw

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

@Unknown_Pleasures: I'll check it out, thanks!

@big_jon: The original Rayman was the first game that came to mind, since I think that one would have worked really well. Therefore, I was hoping that Origins, which has a lot similarities with that game, would be as forgiving. However, after having checked the demo, it seems to take off way to fast for someone who rarely ever plays games. I'll probably buy it anyway, since I'm a big Rayman fan myself, but I doubt it'll work for her.

@WinterSnowblind: The problem with The Maw, Lego, and Spyro is that they're 3D (otherwise, they are great suggestions). For us, using dual stick is as intuitive as breathing, but for non-gamers, it unfortunately isn't. However, since I have Lego Batman lying around anyway, which I never played after my first five minutes with it, it might be a nice game to try to play together.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By DeF

If you had a Wii the answer would be easy: Kirby games

What about Braid? I haven't (yet) played that myself but isn't that more about hard puzzles than hard platforming? Sounds like something she could get into since most girls I know who aren't into games very much do like puzzles.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Julmust

Get a Wii

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BSw

Yeah, the Wii is way more suitable for these easy games, but I am not going to get a Wii.

@DeF: Braid, yeah, maybe. I played the pc version a few years ago, but never finished it. That might work.

kidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By kidman

Exactly. Get a Wii. I've been playing NSMBWii with my girlfriend and it's a blast. It even made her go back to original SMB and she did finish it. Besides, Donkey Kong and Kirby games are great for couples too.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By GunstarRed

The Lego games obviously, Sonic Generations is pretty easy and maybe a game like Mini Ninjas, although there are some trickier parts towards the end. Alice Madness Returns is pretty forgiving, but definately gets challenging in places. Some of the film tie-ins are less terrible than others, theyre not all soul crushingly bad (most are).

Avatar image for wrinklydinosaur
    WrinklyDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By WrinklyDinosaur

@BSw said:

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

@Unknown_Pleasures: I'll check it out, thanks!

@big_jon: The original Rayman was the first game that came to mind, since I think that one would have worked really well. Therefore, I was hoping that Origins, which has a lot similarities with that game, would be as forgiving. However, after having checked the demo, it seems to take off way to fast for someone who rarely ever plays games. I'll probably buy it anyway, since I'm a big Rayman fan myself, but I doubt it'll work for her.

@WinterSnowblind: The problem with The Maw, Lego, and Spyro is that they're 3D (otherwise, they are great suggestions). For us, using dual stick is as intuitive as breathing, but for non-gamers, it unfortunately isn't. However, since I have Lego Batman lying around anyway, which I never played after my first five minutes with it, it might be a nice game to try to play together.

Definitely go the lego route together. Although, if I got frustrated trying to S rank it by myself, be prepared to potentially get frustrated at/with her. However, mad potential to get her into games!!!

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BSw

@GunstarRed: True, but than you still have the 3D issue. Although Mini Ninjas is awesome.

@GloriousDinosaur: I wasn't really looking for a game to do together, but the Lego games look easy enough to maybe give it a shot to ease her into 3D. That would make the hunt for the occasional game for her on the 360 a lot easier, with games like for instance the suggestions above, De Blob, etc. But for now, I first need to get her to understand the darn controller. I already got quite frustrated while playing Fancy Pants with her today (you know, the good old "Push jump when you get of that thing" "I am jumping" "No, you're not" "Yes, I am" "Yeah, I can see that on the screen" conversation), which is by far the easiest 2D thing I've seen so far on the 360. I'll probably just buy this one and let her figure it all out by herself, maybe that'll give her some feeling for it.

I also just downloaded a couple of general 2D demos like Outland, Shuggy, Winterbottom, Braid, Lode Runner, etc. Not all ideal given their difficulty and/or variety/wide array of options, but maybe one of those will be playable for her. I can actually see some potential in Lode Runner.

Still, not a lot of easy-access 2D platformers out there for 360. It's a shame LBP is only a PS3 game, that would have been great. Thanks anyway, I thought I was just missing some games!

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Ravenlight

Drop her into Super Meat Boy. She either sinks or swims. If she sinks, dump her.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Hizang

The original Banjo-Kazooie is a easy platformer, I don't know though because I've played it so many times that I know where every single collectable is and can play it blindfolded.
    I can't think what it would be like to play through it for the first time again.

SanjK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SanjK

How about Limbo or any of the Sonic the Hedgehogs.

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BSw

Limbo is not really a game for someone who is looking for a simple platformer just for the hell of playing a game, and Sonic was too fast for her.

Ended up buying Fancy Pants (it even was on sale this weekend), I'll just wait and see how that works out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.