Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Ebay Hard Drives

scubasteve2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By scubasteve2010

I picked up Mass Effect 2 last night. While I was installing the first disk and the Cerberus content it became painfully aware that my 20GB HD just wasn't cutting the mustard anymore. I have to look through my system's memory for things I can delete almost any time I want to add new content. I been looking through Ebay for larger HD's and I've been seeing a lot "genuine" 120 gigs for around $30. The only catch is many are from Hong Kong. The land were you could probably find a knock off version of your own mother if you looked hard enough. What do you guys think? Am I just better buying a new drive?  If I had too I could buy a new retail version. I however find it kinda personally insulting of Microsoft to chart $100 for 120 gigs. Hell most 1TB hard drives cost about a Benjamin.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By louiedog

Standalone 250 GB drives have been showing up in retailer listings for $120 (I think that's the price). They're due to go on sale later this month. So take that into consideration before buying new from retail.

Another route you can go is buying a bare drive that's compatible (you'll have to google for this) and put it in your 20 GB enclosure. Most of the cheap drives on ebay used to be made using this method. Of course they may be making knock off enclosures in China now, so I can't speak about the current market.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By gla55jAw

Don't buy those fakes on ebay. Look for someone who is selling a genuine Microsoft hard drive. I just recently upgraded to a 120GB from my 20GB. You have to find someone who is selling a new or open box 120GB hard drive with the official transfer cable. Otherwise forget about keeping your old saves. After you're done you can sell the transfer cable for about $30. That's what I did. If you go with one of those cheap knock offs your taking a risk that it won't work.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By louiedog
    @gla55jAw: The person who bought your transfer cable is a complete moron. They're $15 from Microsoft.

I also believe the retail package comes with a transfer cable, so if you're buying one new it should have it.

And yes, you're taking a risk that one of those ebay hard drives won't work, but you're taking the same risk with a genuine Microsoft drive if you buy it used. A hard drive in an enclosure isn't new or mysterious technology. If you decide to buy a bare drive and go the DIY route you'll probably have a 3 or 5 year warranty on the drive.
    gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#5  Edited By gla55jAw
    @louiedog said:
    " @gla55jAw: The person who bought your transfer cable is a complete moron. They're $15 from Microsoft.   I also believe the retail package comes with a transfer cable, so if you're buying one new it should have it.  And yes, you're taking a risk that one of those ebay hard drives won't work, but you're taking the same risk with a genuine Microsoft drive if you buy it used. A hard drive in an enclosure isn't new or mysterious technology. If you decide to buy a bare drive and go the DIY route you'll probably have a 3 or 5 year warranty on the drive. "
    Good thing you posed that. A few months ago Microsoft didn't have the option of buying one from their site at the time. When I got mine they were selling on ebay for $30-$40.
    sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By sopranosfan

I don't think I would buy a knockoff it seems like Microsoft banned non Microsoft save devices a few months ago.  I am not for sure if it was just memory cards or if that includes hard drives but even if it didn't include hard drives there is a chance it will in the future.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By OllyOxenFree

They were just banning the memory units that were not official.  Knock-off HDDs are OK but if you want the "official" one then do not purchase them.  If you got the dough then go genuine.  If you're feeling cheap then buy a 120GB HDD from newegg and swap your 20GB out with it.  There are tutorials on how to do this through google.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.