Forget Nintendo, Microsoft doesn't like fat gamers.

• 61 results
#1 Edited by oldschool (7264 posts) -

Xbox avatars to encourage exercise. 
Link:  Xbox Avatars to 'encourage exercise'? 

Microsoft patent details technology to make 360's avatars have same physical appearance as their real-world counterparts--and thereby promote physical fitness.

Microsoft has shown a keen interest in boosting the Xbox 360's status as a community hub. Leading this initiative has been Xbox Live Avatars, which offer a 3D representation of their owners on the online service. Now, Microsoft is contemplating tying real-world health and psychological data to said avatars in an effort to discourage many-a-gamer's sedentary lifestyle.

Here's the gist of what Microsoft has in mind.

Last week, Microsoft's patent application titled"Avatar Individualized by Physical Characteristic" popped up in the US Patent and Trademark Offices' online database. The filing details a way in which Microsoft can introduce a heightened degree of reality into the appearance of gamers' avatars by utilizing a third-party health-care data repository (Microsoft gives Health Vaultas an example) or a Wii Vitality Sensor-like device.

To incentivize people to improve their physical well-being, Microsoft's filing notes that gamers will be locked out of certain components of a game or a chat room until the proper health parameters are met.

"Physical data that reflects a degree of health of the real person can be linked to rewards of capabilities of a gaming avatar, an amount of time budgeted to play, or a visible indication," the filing reads. "Thereby, people are encouraged to exercise."

"For example, a locally executed video game on a game console or other device capable of interactive play rewards players that have achieved a degree of health or athletic skill in real life, even if played in a solitary fashion," the filing reads. "Alternatively or in addition, the degree of health can unlock additional playing time or can unlock certain aspects of a game, such as additional levels."

Microsoft's patent application might tie in with Project Natal, the Xbox 360's forthcoming camera-based motion-sensing add-on. As part of its 2009 Electronic Entertainment Expo press conference, Microsoft showed off how the device will scan a person's body and represent it onscreen via physically proportionate silhouette. It also showed off several activity-oriented titles in development for Project Natal, including the physically demanding Ricochet, a 3D, full-body version of Breakout.

Microsoft's filing goes on to note that it wouldn't just be physical characteristics that could be refined. "The physical characteristics can be further extended to psychological traits associated with the physical person, including intelligence, religious beliefs, political affiliations, and hobbies that affect the rendering of an avatar," the application reads.

The filing also indicates ways in which Microsoft can facilitate determining an individual's mental health or mood. "For example, as a person utilizes Voice over IP to chat with a viewing person in the virtual environment, stress could be detected to gauge honesty," the application notes. "As another example, skin resistance, pulse, and breathing could be detected to gauge mood."

According to the filing, the data will be beneficial to individuals looking to "meet and become acquainted with particular types of people." Microsoft's application notes that while self-defined avatars allow people to "overcome shortcomings that would otherwise inhibit them, such as pertaining to self-consciousness," there are those who would prefer to have "the cues that are available in meeting someone in person."

So for the Wii Vitality sensor, the Xbox 360 will be the centre of your healthy lifestyle.  Nice of them really.  I always knew they were a caring company.  This is where gaming is going guys.  Get used to it and get fit and slim before it arrives.

See how it even senses your mood?  Perhaps it will ring Lifeline for you after a particularly long session of games like Halo 3 or Modern Warfare 2?  It will be the end of the need for psychologists.  The Xbox 360 is going to solve all your problems.   Even your intelligence, plus political and religious beliefs matter.  Holy crap, if Illburtonboy gets this, his 360 will just explode from the overload  ^-^

Seriously, I am all for what Nintendo has done, but I think like all trends, they sometimes go too far and lead to the inevitable backlash.  What do you guys think?
#2 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -
#3 Posted by Drebin_893 (2902 posts) -

Saw this on Gamespot a few weeks back. Seems..... horrific.

#4 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

Thankfully I don't own a 360
It will be interesting to see the amount of hate Microsoft will get for this :D

#5 Posted by ez123 (1945 posts) -

I have no problem with that but it doesn't sound real unless they want a bunch of lawsuits.  Blocking out a part of a game until health parameters are met, Bullshit.

#6 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

i actually really like this idea, and think it would work for a lot of people. Considering all the gamers that value their e-penis, having a fat avatar would be inexcusable. 

#7 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@AgentJ said:
" i actually really like this idea, and think it would work for a lot of people. Considering all the gamers that value their e-penis, having a fat avatar would be inexcusable.  "
Oooh, gamer burn  ^-^
#8 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Because they couldn't have their sister pose for a second or whatever and use her parameters eh? Or, since I imagine actual visual verification won't be obligatory as not everyone may have the equipment for it, just, *gasp* lie about their appearance on teh internet!

Anyway, sounds like the vitality sensor, I don't think they can patent those functions? Maybe their tech for their own sensor can be patented but the application types in which such a device can potentially be used surely can be open for anyone?

#9 Posted by IcySandman (474 posts) -

360's are coming to life!  They'll take over the world!

"I can't let you leave Jimmy"  "But I played your games already" "My games aren't finished until you're DEAD"

#10 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Being fat is pretty gross and should be discouraged. And mom's tried nothing and is out of ideas, so let the games fatty lives in front of do something about it.

#11 Posted by natetodamax (19170 posts) -

I spend $400 on their console and spend hundreds of dollars on games, and now they want to dictate how much time I spend using their product?

#12 Posted by JokerClown88 (1051 posts) -

#13 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
"

I spend $400 on their console and spend hundreds of dollars on games, and now they want to dictate how much time I spend using their product?

"
Your leasing the ability to use their product services. If you had free reign there wouldn't be millions of banned consoles out there.
#14 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -
@ryanwho: If they actually limit the amount of time you can play, there'll be an EXTREME backlash, unless the limit approaches the "100 hours per week" point where they're doing it to prevent the kind of ridiculous addiction that happens with World of Warcraft. 

As for locking out content for those who are "under health capacity", I hope for two things. 
1) They specifically mean obesity. What if someone has a disease, and their refuge is playing video games? Surely it won't reflect that a cancer patient is dying and therefore refuse to let them play, right? 
2) It is the individual game developer's choice to include those features or not. Subsequently, I expect those developers to be blacklisted pretty quickly if the limits affect anyone under 300 pounds, playing a still-reasonable 20 hours per week or anyone who is genuinely sick.
#15 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

I doubt this will ever be implemented, pretty much one of the worst ideas I've ever heard

#16 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@Little_Socrates said:
" @ryanwho: If they actually limit the amount of time you can play, there'll be an EXTREME backlash, unless the limit approaches the "100 hours per week" point where they're doing it to prevent the kind of ridiculous addiction that happens with World of Warcraft.  As for locking out content for those who are "under health capacity", I hope for two things. 1) They specifically mean obesity. What if someone has a disease, and their refuge is playing video games? Surely it won't reflect that a cancer patient is dying and therefore refuse to let them play, right? 2) It is the individual game developer's choice to include those features or not. Subsequently, I expect those developers to be blacklisted pretty quickly if the limits affect anyone under 300 pounds, playing a still-reasonable 20 hours per week or anyone who is genuinely sick. "
Im not defending it, just pointing out its legal. It doesn't sound like something that would work. It sounds like something that would force people to hack their consoles which MS could then ban which would then force people to buy new consoles. Or some other far reaching conspiracy.
#17 Posted by Pinkshley1 (453 posts) -

I hate fat people too.

#18 Posted by Brendan (7687 posts) -

I was going to make a whole bunch of points for both sides of the argument, but then I remembered I'm in shape so this doesn't affect me in the slightest.  Oh well.  I agree with ryanwho and ChristOnIce. 
#19 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Did you really have to post just to boast about your fitness on a gaming forum? It's not rare. Okay, you did it in a subtle way, but not quite subtle enough to not make it obvious that is all you wanted. Anyway, there are many health conditions that could deem people as not fit enough, it's not just about being fat (which can also be caused by health conditions), otherwise they could just weigh you instead of take all that info. Saying it doesn't affect you (actually, it affects nobody since at this moment it's nothing more than a patent, duh) so there's no reason to care about it and how that means that everyone must be like you to enjoy the same software features is stupid and on par with saying that because someone doesn't have a dark skin he doesn't care about racism since it doesn't affect him so he agrees everyone should have his skin tone and nothing else. Stupid.

#20 Posted by quezen (138 posts) -

wait, what does this have to do with new great IP's ?
MS needs to go back and fucking fix their exclusives then spend money on this shit.
Im 6'2 feet and 205 pound, I have nothing to hide, but some of these things which MS spends money are a waste of time, GTA4 Exclusive DLC cost MS 50 million dollar, rather had an AAA-title in 2009 over that crap.

#21 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Because Microsoft is totally a company that can only afford dabbling into a single thing at a time and that should be traditional video games. Lol. Guess what, Microsoft wasn't born alongside the Xbox and their games division is hardly their biggest or most important or close to that...

#22 Posted by ApertureSilence (1154 posts) -

All I want is the ability to make my current avatar fatter.

#23 Posted by itzjayjay (21 posts) -

Lol let's have a look at the PS3-sales when this is released. 

Sounds kinda funny, let's see how they pull this off. Since I'm not fat, I don't have to fear playing Xbox.

#24 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@ChristOnIce said:
" @ryanwho:  The far-fetched interpretations of the patent that people are considering would not likely be legal.  People are talking about a mandatory system that would limit playing based on physical shape, which would likely run afoul of the law.  Just as a restaurant can't refuse service to fat people, a console manufacturer probably couldn't refuse service or offer diminished service to the same.  It would be a very mild extension of public accommodation law.  This is all, of course, beside the point.  There is no reason to expect the fearful overreactions of such people have any merit. "
I didn't know that. That seems irresponsible. Now the restaurant's reputation suffers when an obese person orders something they shouldn't be eating and has a heart attack in the restaurant. But smokers gotta go outside, now. If you're gonna be a dick about people's health choices, I feel like there should be consistency.
#25 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" @ChristOnIce said:
" @ryanwho:  The far-fetched interpretations of the patent that people are considering would not likely be legal.  People are talking about a mandatory system that would limit playing based on physical shape, which would likely run afoul of the law.  Just as a restaurant can't refuse service to fat people, a console manufacturer probably couldn't refuse service or offer diminished service to the same.  It would be a very mild extension of public accommodation law.  This is all, of course, beside the point.  There is no reason to expect the fearful overreactions of such people have any merit. "
I didn't know that. That seems irresponsible. Now the restaurant's reputation suffers when an obese person orders something they shouldn't be eating and has a heart attack in the restaurant. But smokers gotta go outside, now. If you're gonna be a dick about people's health choices, I feel like there should be consistency. "
Does being fat put other people in danger?  No.  This is why smokers have to go to a certain section or go outside to smoke.
#26 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

I get a little sick watching them eat. Post traumatic stress.

#27 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

That is completely mental. Completely. Fucking. Mental.

#28 Posted by Daryl (1781 posts) -

Can I still play games on my Xbox 360?

#29 Posted by Fripplebubby (1027 posts) -

So, it's going to, like, evaluate our mental state too? It says it even checks for honesty over video chat? So if I lie to someone over video chat, a little banner pops up on their screen telling them, "Kill that bitch, he isn't telling the truth!". 

This right is here is scary stuff.

#30 Posted by Bones8677 (3210 posts) -

Fat people...next thing you'll know, they'll want the right to vote. pfft     ^.^

#31 Posted by GoodKn1ght (491 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" @natetodamax said:
"

"
Your leasing the ability to use their product services. If you had free reign there wouldn't be millions of banned consoles out there. "
i wouldn't say millions....hundred of thousands maybe.
But its not the amount of time its just about how fit you are. Fat people can still play for however long they want.
#32 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@oldschool said:
"  
 Xbox avatars to encourage exercise. 
Link:  Xbox Avatars to 'encourage exercise'? 

Microsoft patent details technology to make 360's avatars have same physical appearance as their real-world counterparts--and thereby promote physical fitness.

Microsoft has shown a keen interest in boosting the Xbox 360's status as a community hub. Leading this initiative has been Xbox Live Avatars, which offer a 3D representation of their owners on the online service. Now, Microsoft is contemplating tying real-world health and psychological data to said avatars in an effort to discourage many-a-gamer's sedentary lifestyle.

Here's the gist of what Microsoft has in mind.

Last week, Microsoft's patent application titled"Avatar Individualized by Physical Characteristic" popped up in the US Patent and Trademark Offices' online database. The filing details a way in which Microsoft can introduce a heightened degree of reality into the appearance of gamers' avatars by utilizing a third-party health-care data repository (Microsoft gives Health Vaultas an example) or a Wii Vitality Sensor-like device.

To incentivize people to improve their physical well-being, Microsoft's filing notes that gamers will be locked out of certain components of a game or a chat room until the proper health parameters are met.

"Physical data that reflects a degree of health of the real person can be linked to rewards of capabilities of a gaming avatar, an amount of time budgeted to play, or a visible indication," the filing reads. "Thereby, people are encouraged to exercise."

"For example, a locally executed video game on a game console or other device capable of interactive play rewards players that have achieved a degree of health or athletic skill in real life, even if played in a solitary fashion," the filing reads. "Alternatively or in addition, the degree of health can unlock additional playing time or can unlock certain aspects of a game, such as additional levels."

Microsoft's patent application might tie in with Project Natal, the Xbox 360's forthcoming camera-based motion-sensing add-on. As part of its 2009 Electronic Entertainment Expo press conference, Microsoft showed off how the device will scan a person's body and represent it onscreen via physically proportionate silhouette. It also showed off several activity-oriented titles in development for Project Natal, including the physically demanding Ricochet, a 3D, full-body version of Breakout.

Microsoft's filing goes on to note that it wouldn't just be physical characteristics that could be refined. "The physical characteristics can be further extended to psychological traits associated with the physical person, including intelligence, religious beliefs, political affiliations, and hobbies that affect the rendering of an avatar," the application reads.

The filing also indicates ways in which Microsoft can facilitate determining an individual's mental health or mood. "For example, as a person utilizes Voice over IP to chat with a viewing person in the virtual environment, stress could be detected to gauge honesty," the application notes. "As another example, skin resistance, pulse, and breathing could be detected to gauge mood."

According to the filing, the data will be beneficial to individuals looking to "meet and become acquainted with particular types of people." Microsoft's application notes that while self-defined avatars allow people to "overcome shortcomings that would otherwise inhibit them, such as pertaining to self-consciousness," there are those who would prefer to have "the cues that are available in meeting someone in person."

So for the Wii Vitality sensor, the Xbox 360 will be the centre of your healthy lifestyle.  Nice of them really.  I always knew they were a caring company.  This is where gaming is going guys.  Get used to it and get fit and slim before it arrives. See how it even senses your mood?  Perhaps it will ring Lifeline for you after a particularly long session of games like Halo 3 or Modern Warfare 2?  It will be the end of the need for psychologists.  The Xbox 360 is going to solve all your problems.   Even your intelligence, plus political and religious beliefs matter.  Holy crap, if Illburtonboy gets this, his 360 will just explode from the overload  ^-^ Seriously, I am all for what Nintendo has done, but I think like all trends, they sometimes go too far and lead to the inevitable backlash.  What do you guys think? "
I am really fat.
#33 Posted by FlipperDesert (2081 posts) -
@demontium said:
" I am really fat. "
Well, you'd better lose weight quick or you won't ever see the end of Fable 3!

Seriously, this is a dumb idea, even if they do mean well.
#34 Posted by zombie2011 (4968 posts) -

Fuck Yeah. 

My Avatar is gonna be a beast, I got a little mad when i couldn't make a muscular avatar. 

#35 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

If they're going to do this they should take it all the way.  IQ tests, air sensors to tell if you drink or smoke.  Mandatory urine samples and blood tests.  Checks for STDs.  Psych evaluations to ward off psychos.  Scan your PC's HDD to see if you're a pirate or have any CP on there...

Then restrict gameplay accordingly.  Only smart people can be wizards in a fantasy RPG, smoking lowers your endurance...

Actually nevermind all that, this is all retarded and the antithesis of an entertainment product, MS is nuts.

#36 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -

I think people are taking this a little too extreme.  I think they have gameplay implications then say some restrictions on being able to play.

#37 Posted by CowMuffins (1760 posts) -

I'm underweight, so it will probably shut off the xbox and make me go eat or something. D:

#38 Posted by Systech (4078 posts) -

I'm glad I'm a tall, skinny white kid right about now.

#39 Posted by Druminator (1676 posts) -

That's just stupid. Now way I'm putting down my junk food for Microsoft. How can they even consider doing this when not that long ago there was a Windows 7 Whopper???

#40 Posted by Brodehouse (9585 posts) -

First, they came for the fat gamers, and I did not speak out, for I was not fat.

And then they came for the stupid gamers, and I did not speak out, for I was not stupid.

And then they came for the ugly gamers... and there was no one left to speak out for me.

#41 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@FlipperDesert said:
" @demontium said:
" I am really fat. "
Well, you'd better lose weight quick or you won't ever see the end of Fable 3!  Seriously, this is a dumb idea, even if they do mean well. "
Explain that joke to me.
#42 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -
@CowMuffins said:
" I'm underweight, so it will probably shut off the xbox and make me go eat or something. D: "
I lol'd. Same here ... Natal is going to ask me if I would like a hamburger before I continue playing ...
#43 Posted by Evilsbane (4531 posts) -

O.O Microsoft STOP NOW WTF ARE YOU DOING!!!!!

#44 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@Brodehouse said:
" First, they came for the fat gamers, and I did not speak out, for I was not fat. And then they came for the stupid gamers, and I did not speak out, for I was not stupid. And then they came for the ugly gamers... and there was no one left to speak out for me. "
I think you missed a few gamers before they got to you, or perhaps there are others after you: 
Then they came for old gamers ....... 

Lucky I have had Wii Fit to get me ready for the brave new world of gaming  ^-^
#45 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

dang, i don't want to play motion control exercises. i just think that people should be happy with their fattyness. i'm a skinny person but i wish that i had more fat in me. i eat fast food just about every weekend. i never gain any weight.

#46 Posted by Shirogane (3563 posts) -
@iam3green said:
"dang, i don't want to play motion control exercises. i just think that people should be happy with their fattyness. i'm a skinny person but i wish that i had more fat in me. i eat fast food just about every weekend. i never gain any weight. "
There's your problem, you need to eat it every day for every meal. 

The whole fitness and gaming thing is getting a bit too crazy now. I  mean, wii Fit sounded awesome when it was first out, but  this is just insane.
#47 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@iam3green said:
dang, i don't want to play motion control exercises. i just think that people should be happy with their fattyness. i'm a skinny person but i wish that i had more fat in me. i eat fast food just about every weekend. i never gain any weight.
Just eat more bread stuff.  Eat like 2-3 sandwiches a day.  Don't even need any meat or fatty stuff on it.  Substitute pasta or something in there if you like.

Also, be sure to drink stuff with high fructose corn syrup, make sure you don't get any real sugar, that stuff will have you running down the street and before you know it you'll be really fit.

Fast food will do it, but there's easier ways.
#48 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -
@Brodehouse said:
" First, they came for the fat gamers, and I did not speak out, for I was not fat. And then they came for the stupid gamers, and I did not speak out, for I was not stupid. And then they came for the ugly gamers... and there was no one left to speak out for me. "
Man, Giantbombers have been using things with historical significance to great comedic effect this week.  +1
#49 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -
@hidys said:
"
"
hahaha, well played sir.
#50 Posted by Persecution (22 posts) -
@xobballox said:
" @ryanwho said:
" @ChristOnIce said:
I didn't know that. That seems irresponsible. Now the restaurant's reputation suffers when an obese person orders something they shouldn't be eating and has a heart attack in the restaurant. But smokers gotta go outside, now. If you're gonna be a dick about people's health choices, I feel like there should be consistency. "
Does being fat put other people in danger?  No.  This is why smokers have to go to a certain section or go outside to smoke. "

Does being fat put people in danger? sure it does.. what if the lard ass falls on you?!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.