Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Former VP says Microsoft wanted to stop Sony.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By mrfluke

http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/6/3961296/microsoft-sony-console-business

former VP of microsoft comes clean on this polygon story that apparently microsoft entered the console business to primarily stop sony.

"Sony was always very arm's length with Microsoft," Kempin said. "Yeah, they bought Windows for their PCs but when you really take a hard look at that, they were never Microsoft's friend. And Microsoft in a way wanted them to be a friend because they knew they had a lot of things we could have cooperated on because they are, in a way, an entertainment company, you know? I mean, at least a portion of Sony is and they had some really good things going there, but as soon as they came out with a video console, Microsoft just looked at that and said 'well, we have to beat them, so let's do our own.'"

very fascinating

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Patman99

I think Microsoft has been tremendously successful with developing their own console(s). In reality, I want both companies to be successful and drive each other to better and better places. And uhhh, Nintendo too.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mrfluke

@Patman99 said:

I think Microsoft has been tremendously successful with developing their own console(s). In reality, I want both companies to be successful and drive each other to better and better places. And uhhh, Nintendo too.

lol

i find it still very fascinating though that apparently one of the drives for microsoft to get into the console business was to go against sony.

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Icemo

"I mean, at least a portion of Sony is and they had some really good things going there, but as soon as they came out with a video console, Microsoft just looked at that and said 'well, we have to beat them, so let's do our own."

Are they talking about PS1 or PS2? If they are talking about PS1 then Microsoft planned to make Xbox for 7 years, or if they talk about PS2 then they planned for 2 years. That sentence indicates that Sony's first console was the inspiration but that can't be true.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@Icemo: I dunno MS spent about 4 years developing the original Surface (what is now Pixelsense) I could see developing a new console taking a long time. You might be right but I could see it taking 7 years from initial idea to production.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mrfluke

@Icemo said:

"I mean, at least a portion of Sony is and they had some really good things going there, but as soon as they came out with a video console, Microsoft just looked at that and said 'well, we have to beat them, so let's do our own."

Are they talking about PS1 or PS2? If they are talking about PS1 then Microsoft planned to make Xbox for 7 years, or if they talk about PS2 then they planned for 2 years. That sentence indicates that Sony's first console was the inspiration but that can't be true.

its what i quoted from the polygon story, *shrug*

maybe microsoft really did look at the ps1 and went into long R&D afterwards concepting the xbox., and then let the ps2 launch first i believe and then release the xbox.

hell that seems like probably still their strategy, as most likely sony is going first with their reveal of the ps4 on the 20th, and then microsoft.

still very fascinating to me that they are very combative against sony.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By GaspoweR

@Icemo said:

Well, seven years actually isn't really that far-fetched. They needed to do a lot of R & D since they were coming into a space that they had no experience in. At the very least, they had to do enough R & D for the first three or four years gathering enough data before they started doing prototypes and making development kits. Maybe also during that time they were just being slow with it and then they started to ramp up around the time the PS 2 was going to be released.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mrfluke

@GaspoweR said:

@Icemo said:

Well, seven years actually isn't really that far-fetched. They needed to do a lot of R & D since they were coming into a space that they had no experience in. At the very least, they had to do enough R & D for the first three or four years gathering enough data before they started doing prototypes and making development kits.

exactly

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mandude

It's a shame business is so underhanded.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jozzy

@mandude said:

I call it healthy competition.

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DaMisterChief

healthy competition.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By august

Yeah those MIcrosoft guys are big meanies wanting to compete with other tech companies in the marketplace. (!?!)

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By KaneRobot

Not sure why this would surprise anyone. It's no different than why Sony got in to begin with. There's money to be made there, let's do something to make more money than whoever is making money now. It's not like Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, or whoever is in this because they love "the art of video games" or some such bullshit.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By monkeyking1969
    @mrfluke said:

former VP of microsoft comes clean on this polygon story that apparently microsoft entered the console business to primarily stop sony.

"Sony was always very arm's length with Microsoft," Kempin said. "Yeah, they bought Windows for their PCs but when you really take a hard look at that, they were never Microsoft's friend. And Microsoft in a way wanted them to be a friend because they knew they had a lot of things we could have cooperated on because they are, in a way, an entertainment company, you know? I mean, at least a portion of Sony is and they had some really good things going there, but as soon as they came out with a video console, Microsoft just looked at that and said 'well, we have to beat them, so let's do our own.'"

very fascinating

What we read above does not seem to fit with Seamus Blackley's account of how XBOX came about, nor does it seem to fit Dean Takahashi interviews with Microsoft employees who actully worked on the project.  If you look into who Jachim Kempin was it is clear he was not in the XBOX loop.  Moreover, what he has been saying about Microsoft lately and how the compnay is run seems a bit...err singular in viewpoint.  Without a doubt Microsoft was interested in consumer hardware and getting into the living room, but this new view of events seems lack support from what was written is a few dozen interview articles and at least one book written in the last decade.
    mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mandude

@jozzy said:

@mandude said:

I call it healthy competition.

It's not as though there is any banter or playful dialogues exchanged between Microsoft and Sony. Competition might be healthy in certain ways, but it can't be argued that no one is going to feel any ill effects from the kinds of tactics businesses employ.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mrfluke

@august said:

Yeah those MIcrosoft guys are big meanies wanting to compete with other tech companies in the marketplace. (!?!)

your right, but usually imo its not so direct as what that polygon story implies though.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By KaneRobot

@MonkeyKing1969 said:

@mrfluke said:

very fascinating

What we read above does not seem to fit with Seamus Blackley's account of how XBOX came about, nor does it seem to fit Dean Takahashi interviews with Microsoft employees who actully worked on the project. If you look into who Jachim Kempin was it is clear he was not in the XBOX loop. Moreover, what he has been saying about Microsoft lately and how the compnay is run seems a bit...err singular in viewpoint. Without a doubt Microsoft was interested in consumer hardware and getting into the living room, but this new view of events seems lack support from what was written is a few dozen interview articles and at least one book written in the last decade.

Not directly related, but I really need to reread those Takahashi books about the two XBox consoles. The first one was especially interesting.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MikkaQ

@mrfluke said:

@Patman99 said:

lol

i find it still very fascinating though that apparently one of the drives for microsoft to get into the console business was to go against sony.

Which is funny because Sony sort of got in the business to spite Nintendo for disbanding their partnership.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#19  Edited By Hailinel
    @Patman99

Haha. Microsoft hasn't been tremendously successful. They struggled for most of a decade to turn a profit on their hardware.
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Justin258

@Hailinel said:

@Patman99

Haha. Microsoft hasn't been tremendously successful. They struggled for most of a decade to turn a profit on their hardware.

Hmmm... they seem to be doing better now, though. I don't have any sort of numbers but if they aren't making any sort of profit now then they should probably give up.

...oh, man. What if Microsoft simply doesn't release another Xbox and just lets the 360 peter out? And then it will be just Sony, Nintendo, and PC's?

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Sooty

Well they failed and ran their console into the ground. Lack of exclusives and poor software.

Bit weird considering how far ahead the 360 was initially, those first two years were terrible for the PS3.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mrfluke

@Hailinel said:

@Patman99

i believe they turned a profit the same time the ps3 did. both companies are turning a profit after so long now.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By Dagbiker

@mrfluke said:

@Icemo said:

its what i quoted from the polygon story, *shrug*

maybe microsoft really did look at the ps1 and went into long R&D afterwards concepting the xbox., and then let the ps2 launch first i believe and then release the xbox.

hell that seems like probably still their strategy, as most likely sony is going first with their reveal of the ps4 on the 20th, and then microsoft.

still very fascinating to me that they are very combative against sony.

I would beleave that it took 7 years if the original xbox wasn't just a pc with directx on it. If it takes 7 years to figure out that the best you can do is run the thing you can do is run windows on a tower.

Although I might beleave it took 7 years to send J Allared to Tool school.

ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By ssj4raditz

*gasp!* A company wanted to compete with a rival? ...Heaven forbid!

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GnaTSoL

Some classic WCW vs WWE going on in here. :D

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@Hailinel said:

@Patman99

Aside from that being wrong, they have been making a profit on the 360 for several years now, even when they weren't making a profit on each individual consoles they were still getting millions of suckers (myself included) to spend $50 a year for Xbox Live. They have indeed been tremendously successful.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Brendan

@Hailinel said:

@Patman99

Not making a profit for a while doesn't mean Microsoft wasn't tremendously successful with what they set out to do. Creating an entire division of a company along with the software and hardware for the products itself, the many partner deals, ect...it's a lot to pay for up front to suddenly compete in an oligopoly. I mean, if anyone could do it Microsoft could but taking a while to finally get into the black doesn't mean that Microsoft has been unsuccessful.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EXTomar

I was initially surprised but then I remembered that Microsoft has a recent history of misreading threats. Microsoft is trying to kill Apple in the mobile space when Google is really their threat. Microsoft trying to kill Google in cloud server space when it was really Amazon that was their real threat. Doing everything they could to mess with Oracle and OpenOffice when it turns out that their real competition for office product was Google... So on and so on.

So I shouldn't be that surprised when it turns out that they though Sony was a threat when really they weren't.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By JasonR86

I figured this went without saying. Also there were probably a bunch of other reasons. Like revenue.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Patman99

@Brendan said:

@Hailinel said:

@Patman99

Not making a profit for a while doesn't mean Microsoft wasn't tremendously successful with what they set out to do. Creating an entire division of a company along with the software and hardware for the products itself, the many partner deals, ect...it's a lot to pay for up front to suddenly compete in an oligopoly. I mean, if anyone could do it Microsoft could but taking a while to finally get into the black doesn't mean that Microsoft has been unsuccessful.

This is what I was getting at. The Xbox and Xbox 360 are two great consoles. Granted, the 360 has a reputation for not being the most durable, but it is still a great console (as is the PS3 and Wii). Microsoft essentially went from being a tangent when discussing video games to being extremely recognizable in the medium. I mean just look at all the multiplatform games whose quicklook is done on the 360. That doesn't mean it is better than the PS3 but in terms of prominence, it is definitely there. I would define that as a sort of success.

According to Wikipedia, the Xbox sold 24 million units from it's launch in 2001/2002 to 2006. The 360 sold 75 million units from it's launch until 2012. So at least in relative terms, Microsoft has been successful.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By fattony12000

Wait, what? I thought everyone knew this back in 1999. Sony were THE thing in video games at that time and Microsoft wanted, nay, needed a piece of that sweet video game pie.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#32  Edited By ShadowMoses900

They didn't succeed, but they did give them a run for their money.

I don't want anyone to be "stopped", we need the competition and Sony is my favorite company/system in the industry.

manicraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By manicraider

It's a shame when a competitor wants to do better than the other guy. They should all be helping each other make great games and profit. [/sarcasm]

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34  Edited By VoshiNova

I've noticed Polygon providing some awesome reads - thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: source IGN....nvm

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.