Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

"Friendship is free" - MS charging for 3+ player chat.

• 95 results
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#51  Edited By Red

I'm at the point where I don't know if I'll renew my Live subscription. Why?
    Because I have a PS3.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#52  Edited By KamasamaK
    BiggerBomb said:
    "LiquidPrince said:
    "Vinchenzo said:
    "You do realize $50 a year isn't that much and complaining about something like this is just stupid. Right?"
    True, but it's $50 too much.

"

No, it is not. They are providing a great service that they work hard to maintain, they should be payed for this. Not everything in life is free, especially the more valuable thigns."
    They get paid through their ads.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Kamasama said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "LiquidPrince said:
    "Vinchenzo said:
    "You do realize $50 a year isn't that much and complaining about something like this is just stupid. Right?"

"

No, it is not. They are providing a great service that they work hard to maintain, they should be payed for this. Not everything in life is free, especially the more valuable thigns."
    They get paid through their ads."

As does every newspaper you get a subscription to. Everything should be free? I think not.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By crunchUK
    Kamasama said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "LiquidPrince said:
    "Vinchenzo said:

"

durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr their ads are for THEIR OWN DLC
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By crunchUK
    Kamasama said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "LiquidPrince said:
    "Vinchenzo said:

"

durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr their ads are for THEIR OWN DLC
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By KamasamaK
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Kamasama said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "LiquidPrince said:
    "Vinchenzo said:

"

As does every newspaper you get a subscription to. Everything should be free? I think not."
    I never said it should be free, I was just refuting what you said. And comparing the funding/work it takes to put out a newspaper and to maintain an online network is laughable. I don't think the issue is that such a thing just needs to be free, since I doubt there would be much complaining if all the competitors charged as well. I do find it unfortunate, however, that you do not even have the option to fully access what you bought without paying an extra fee, by maybe hosting your own server or something.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Kamasama said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "Kamasama said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "LiquidPrince said:
    "Vinchenzo said:

"

As does every newspaper you get a subscription to. Everything should be free? I think not."
    I never said it should be free, I was just refuting what you said. And comparing the funding/work it takes to put out a newspaper and to maintain an online network is laughable. I don't think the issue is that such a thing just needs to be free, since I doubt there would be much complaining if all the competitors charged as well. I do find it unfortunate, however, that you do not even have the option to fully access what you bought without paying an extra fee, by maybe hosting your own server or something."

Then everyone would do that and no money would be payed. Xbox Live would become as plagued with pirates as the PC is, that kind of "solution" would be entirely ineffective; if anything, detrimental.
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By KamasamaK
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Kamasama said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "Kamasama said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "LiquidPrince said:
    "Vinchenzo said:

"

I never said it should be free, I was just refuting what you said. And comparing the funding/work it takes to put out a newspaper and to maintain an online network is laughable. I don't think the issue is that such a thing just needs to be free, since I doubt there would be much complaining if all the competitors charged as well. I do find it unfortunate, however, that you do not even have the option to fully access what you bought without paying an extra fee, by maybe hosting your own server or something."

Then everyone would do that and no money would be payed. Xbox Live would become as plagued with pirates as the PC is, that kind of "solution" would be entirely ineffective; if anything, detrimental."
    Why would they need to be payed if nobody was using their service? I disagree that everyone would do that, though, since Xbox Live has some features that people would still want. You'll need to clarify what you mean by that. And these servers would not be on Xbox Live, so it would be plagued by nothing. Also, by "your own" I didn't necessarily mean private, but that the publisher had the option to set up dedicated servers like is that case with PSN.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By Vinchenzo

Man, these PS3 owners keep trying to put down XBL. All they can do is loop the same argument, "$50? $50! $50!?"

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Kamasama said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    Then everyone would do that and no money would be payed. Xbox Live would become as plagued with pirates as the PC is, that kind of "solution" would be entirely ineffective; if anything, detrimental.
    Why would they need to be payed if nobody was using their service? I disagree that everyone would do that, though, since Xbox Live has some features that people would still want. You'll need to clarify what you mean by that. And these servers would not be on Xbox Live, so it would be plagued by nothing. Also, by "your own" I didn't necessarily mean private, but that the publisher had the option to set up dedicated servers like is that case with PSN."

If nobody was using their service, what would be the point in providing the service? They would do away with a very high-end service all because people can't stand the thought of paying for a service, even if it is one of great value. And no one is forced to pay for Xbox Live. If you don't want to pay, you don't have to. Get a silver account, but then don't complain when you are not recieving the same quality of service that paying customers are recieving. That's absolutely ridiculous. (By the way, I'm using the "general you." I'm not directly criticizing you.)
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By Willy105

Money Money Money Money.

That's all they want. Not even Nintendo is that cheap. And they are cheap!

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By crunchUK
    Vinchenzo said:
    "Man, these PS3 owners keep trying to put down XBL. All they can do is loop the same argument, "$50? $50! $50!?""
    just like system wars!!
    Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

WilliamRLBaker said:
    "@bollum
    Actually wrong your not playing online JUST for the cost of the internet someone is paying money out for those servers weither it be a company or a person and it wont last forever.

For dedicated servers, yes, but then many old games still have servers up. Also, you can always host a game yourself.
    Avatar image for pirate_republic
    pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#64  Edited By pirate_republic

It's true, but to be honest, you don't really need to chat with the 360 if you can't play games with the people you talk to. That's what computers are for!

Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Colonel_Cool
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "Colonel_Cool said:
    "That's nothing compared to the crap they try and pull on Live for Winows."
    what crap was that? oh i know you mean the fact that online play was never for sale on live for windows you could ALL ways play online you just coulding use matchmaking which was sourced from THEIR servers. Live for windows was fine there was nothing wrong with it or bad about it and its free now.

@bollum
    Actually wrong your not playing online JUST for the cost of the internet someone is paying money out for those servers weither it be a company or a person and it wont last forever.

@colonal cools 2nd post in this thread.
    Live for windows isn't FORCED into any game its put in there but not forced and there is NO game that has live for windows that doesn't allso just play online againest pc users for free the only time you ever needed a gold membership on live for windows was crossplatform play and matchmaking both of which require servers on microsofts side."
    Regular online play is free and I'm fine with that. However, they still leave out some features that have been standard on all other games for the subscription-based gold membership. I don't care about matchmaking or achievments, since achievements are dumb and I just use a server browser, but being able to see your ping before you join a server is reserved for gold members. Absolute bullshit. And it is forced into some of their games, like Gears of War and GTA IV. You need to be logged in to live to save your game in singleplayer, making the game effectively unplayable without it. Steam offers ALL of this for free.
    TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#66  Edited By TheJollyRajah
    Vinchenzo said:
    Awe. That's if your mommy and daddy buy it for you.
    I'm enjoying an awesome online service that has almost all the features Xbox Live Gold has.... but it's free. 
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By BiggerBomb
    TheJollyRajah said:
    "Vinchenzo said:
    I'm enjoying an awesome online service that has almost all the features Xbox Live Gold has.... but it's free. 
    "

Exactly, "almost." If you want the whole thing, you have to pay. You can download a demo for a game for free OR you can pay and play the entire game.

People need to stop complaining. Xbox Live is a great service, one which you pay money for. If you do not want to pay for it, don't pay for it. Just don't expect to recieve the quality of service that paying customers recieve. Jeez!
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By crunchUK
    BiggerBomb said:
    "TheJollyRajah said:
    "Vinchenzo said:
    "

Exactly, "almost." If you want the whole thing, you have to pay. You can download a demo for a game for free OR you can pay and play the entire game.

People need to stop complaining. Xbox Live is a great service, one which you pay money for. If you do not want to pay for it, don't pay for it. Just don't expect to recieve the quality of service that paying customers recieve. Jeez!"
    PSN is roughly 18% of xbox lives awesomeness
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By crunchUK
    BiggerBomb said:
    "TheJollyRajah said:
    "Vinchenzo said:
    "

People need to stop complaining. Xbox Live is a great service, one which you pay money for. If you do not want to pay for it, don't pay for it. Just don't expect to recieve the quality of service that paying customers recieve. Jeez!"
    PSN is roughly 18% of xbox lives awesomeness
    TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By TheJollyRajah
    BiggerBomb said:
    "TheJollyRajah said:
    "Vinchenzo said:
    "

But what Microsoft makes you pay for, everyone else offers free. I own a 360 and a PS3. The Playstation Network has made so many improvements since it was first introduced, that it rivals Xbox Live Gold in almost every way. 
    Notice how I say almost.

The tiny little extras Live has over PSN does not justify paying $50 a year. Live should be FREE. But it seems like enough of you have been brainwashed into thinking that Live is superior because you pay for it.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By BiggerBomb
    TheJollyRajah said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "TheJollyRajah said:
    "Vinchenzo said:
    "

But what Microsoft makes you pay for, everyone else offers free. I own a 360 and a PS3. The Playstation Network has made so many improvements since it was first introduced, that it rivals Xbox Live Gold in almost every way. 
    Notice how I say almost.

The tiny little extras Live has over PSN does not justify paying $50 a year. Live should be FREE. But it seems like enough of you have been brainwashed into thinking that Live is superior because you pay for it.
    "

Live is superior because the profits they recieved from our subscriptions over the last 4 years have solidified a base upon which to build a superior community, one that also has headsets. It's nice that PSN is now starting to catch up, but it's a little too late. Let's also not forget that Xbox Live is a far more fluid program than PSN and the ease with which it takes to play online is invaluable.

I haven't been brainwashed into thinking Xbox Live is superior because my parents pay for it, I have been wooed by a superior online service that is superior because my parents pay for it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get all my community right here on the internet, and I also have a headset. :)

lodar011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By lodar011

I know how to get free voice chat with silver.  Pick up a phone and dial.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got free mobile to mobile, bitches!!

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#75  Edited By breadfan

I don't really see what the problem is, as someone said earlier in this thread the price for a year of Xbox Live is not that much.  I mean at this point who sticks with just a silver account anyway?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By crunchUK

because being unconformist is WAY KEWL LOLOLOLOLOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So that's what motivates people. Thanks for the enlightened message.

justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#79  Edited By justinnotjason

In all honesty I don't believe that they'd lose that much money if they didn't charge. Having a solid online should be what makes people want to buy a console, however it should be included in the console. Microsoft cuts alot of corners to save money and that's all well and good, I mean I don't really care too much about not having wireless I can deal. I don't really feel like paying for gold so I deal with silver. So it's not that big of a deal to me personally, but that being said I still think that it would be quite easy for them to maintain a good online while it still being free.
    I mean as someone said previously most games have the player host the game, so that really cuts the cost of servers out. I don't really want to get into logistics of it since it really comes down to two things: If you want it you'll get it, if you don't you'll deal. It's as simple as that. When I get a game that I want to play online I'll pay the 8 dollars for a month of LIVE and deal.

The party thing does kind of get on my nerves but being that most of the games I like are single player (on the console anyway) I'll manage.

NinjaMunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By NinjaMunkey

This  is why I dont use my 360 for online gaming...

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Player1

They have to someway differentiate the silver from  the gold.

Stop bitching and fork over 50 dollars a year for a GREAT service.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#82  Edited By Vinchenzo
    NinjaMunkey said:
    "This  is why I dont use my 360 for online gaming..."
    Guess you like missing out. :D
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    Bellum said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:
    "@bollum

For dedicated servers, yes, but then many old games still have servers up. Also, you can always host a game yourself."
    Many old games? whats your idea of many old games?  host a game my self? oh you mean like how it is on xbox live? Surfice to say A majority of PC games are DEDICATED and do not have client server models so unless your willing to spend 2000 dollars for a server and then pay for it to be online or pay a 3rd party to host a server for you then your screwd when it comes to many many many many PC games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WilliamRLBaker said:
    "Many old games? whats your idea of many old games?
    "

Everything by Blizzard and id, at least, many games made from the id engines, savage, tribes, the works.

host a game my self? oh you mean like how it is on xbox live?

Exactly. And Battle.Net, y'know, that free service people use to play Blizzard games online, or most other RTS or TBS or RPG games out there. Don't stray from the point of this discussion. There is absolutely no reason to charge for such a service.
    Surfice to say A majority of PC games are DEDICATED and do not have client server models so unless your willing to spend 2000 dollars for a server and then pay for it to be online or pay a 3rd party to host a server for you then your screwd when it comes to many many many many PC games.

Now you are using quantitative statements. Tell me, what games worth their salt are like this outside of the MMO genre, which does charge montly costs out of necessity? Or are you talking about the dedicated servers on most FPSs? I don't think FPSs can be said to make up that majority of online gaming for PCs. Dedicated servers do cost money, but it doesn't cost me anything. (Appreciate the service, though!) Also, I am fairly sure you can host your own temporary servers (listen servers?) for many FPSs just as you can for other genres, though with limmitations.
    CreamyGoodness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By CreamyGoodness
    Vinchenzo said:
    LightTang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By LightTang

Well its not completely stupid to complain about it because after all he is a silver member. He should be entitled to something like this. On the other hand, Microsoft wants to make money, and has every right to do this. The party system should be for gold users only. I mean when the NXE didn't even come out yet, I'm pretty sure you were able to deal with it. Now that it has, it shouldn't change for you lol :D

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#87  Edited By Jeffsekai

If you can't manage 5$ a month for a gold membership then what are you doing with a fucking 360 ? suck it up butter cup n buy a gold membership.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeffsekai said:
    "If you can't manage 5$ a month for a gold membership then what are you doing with a fucking 360 ? suck it up butter cup n buy a gold membership."

Some people value their five dollars and would rather not support a waste of money, no matter how small, you superficial prick.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Meowayne
    Bellum said:
    "Jeffsekai said:
    "If you can't manage 5$ a month for a gold membership then what are you doing with a fucking 360 ? suck it up butter cup n buy a gold membership."

Some people value their five dollars and would rather not support a waste of money, no matter how small, you superficial prick."
    +1. This has nothing to do with affordability. I am a gold member. That's why I'm complaining. Locking away stuff for silver members just for the heck of it isn't great service for gold members. It's pathetic and sad.
    Early available demos isn't great service. It's having people pay to be advertised to.
    P2P Online Play isn't great service. It's a matter of course.

Xbox Live is great, fast, offers a lot of content, friend/messenging options and is and pretty reliable.
    So is Steam.
    Microsoft charges just because they can. X360 users pay just to get the option to pay more. There's no reason to collect fees from Xbox Live members. If it wasn't for the fact that Microsoft locks online play for non-paying X360 owners, no one would buy gold memberships, and because of that, Microsoft pulls stuff like this - locking away 3 player chat - to make Gold seem worth the money.
    Regardless of the price - 10$, 50$ or 200$ - this is just sad.
    Avatar image for aneternalenigma
    AnEternalEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By AnEternalEnigma

Good. They need to start making Xbox Live Gold worth more of a damn. People who are not paying should get a more gimped service than the people that do pay. Sorry, but it's the truth.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#91  Edited By jakob187
    Vinchenzo said:
    /agreed
    BxGT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By BxGT

Dude it's like four dollars a month.

nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By nickdastick
    Emilio said:
    "Kamasama said:
    "Drebin_893 said:
    "This was \n incredibly misleading thread title for me."
    What did you think it was? I understood it immediately."
    I thought MS would start charging. Also misled me.

Well that sucks. I mean, you could always just buy 13 months of Live and never think of it again until you have to renew... but whatever."
    No joke, I mean, you can get 13 month memberships for $38... That's what I paid and it's worth every penny.
    mclakers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By mclakers

xbox live gold cards 12+1 free month 29.99 at wall mart

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#95  Edited By clubsandwich

No they're not charging for it, that's a XBL Gold feature, that's different.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.