FUCKING NOOOO >__>

#1 Posted by Pleasureizmine (2136 posts) -

Anyhow, so I got my launch elite model back from a RROD repair, and to my pleasant surprise i received a 06-28-08 model, she was running like a champ..... Until my controller died so I plugged it in. Now during all this there was a massive storm of which the power turned on and off 3 times in about 20 seconds. Because my controller was plugged in it kept turning the xbox back on and now i have RROD again >____>.

Moral of the story, never ever plug you controller into a 360 in a storm........

#2 Posted by BlackWaterCO (1574 posts) -

I used to be so paranoid of the three red lights, but i've had this 2006 model 360 until now and she's running well to this day...

I think I might get an elite someday when I get some extra money saved up

#3 Posted by FoxMcCloud (43 posts) -

I've had an xbox that was made around 3 months after launch, and it lasted me more than 2 years. Although, death comes to everyone some day and so does the red light for xboxes, be it a ring or 3 or 2 or 1. I got a hard drive failure and a cold solder problem on this one and now own an Elite and yes it took lightning to break my 2 year old xbox.

#4 Posted by MagusMaleficus (1035 posts) -

Moral of the story should be: never play your 360 during a storm, unless you have that thing plugged into a UPS.

#5 Posted by Pleasureizmine (2136 posts) -
MagusMaleficus said:
"Moral of the story should be: never play your 360 during a storm, unless you have that thing plugged into a UPS."
I hate how they use UPS they are the garbage company of shipping, USPS is so much cheaper and faster
#6 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

I've gotten RROD once but since then (Early 2007) it's been fine.

#7 Posted by Pleasureizmine (2136 posts) -

AARRRRRRRGHASDOFSIJDIFO;

#8 Posted by MagusMaleficus (1035 posts) -
CaseyWegner said:
"MagusMaleficus said:
"Moral of the story should be: never play your 360 during a storm, unless you have that thing plugged into a UPS."
I hate how they use UPS they are the garbage company of shipping, USPS is so much cheaper and faster
"
No, I meant a Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS for short). I guess I should have elaborated earlier. They're like power strips, but they use batteries to insure uninterrupted use of electronic appliances in case of a power outage.
#9 Posted by Pleasureizmine (2136 posts) -

i c

#10 Posted by BlackWaterCO (1574 posts) -
MagusMaleficus said:
"CaseyWegner said:
"MagusMaleficus said:
"Moral of the story should be: never play your 360 during a storm, unless you have that thing plugged into a UPS."
I hate how they use UPS they are the garbage company of shipping, USPS is so much cheaper and faster
"
No, I meant a Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS for short). I guess I should have elaborated earlier. They're like power strips, but they use batteries to insure uninterrupted use of electronic appliances in case of a power outage."
Good for power outages, but a lightning bolt hits the house's systems directly, it will blow that strip up and cook the Xbox and then your TV and whatever else you had plugged in on that curcuit

I live in Florida, and our Thunderstorms are a daily factor and they are very violent when it comes to Air-to-ground lightning. My old tube TV and PS2 got fried once from a hit. Loudest boom ive ever heard
#11 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

Hmmm i've never i had a problem with surge protectors or UPS...since all UPS are a surge protector as it is.
if you had a problem with one then you should have kept the warrenty and registered it cause they cover all stuff on those things up to 100k.

#12 Posted by REforever101 (258 posts) -

i just got my launch 360 back from the repair shop yesterday. I have no idea if its a new system, or just my old one fixed.

i really hope it doest rrod again, my 3 year warranty is almost up!

#13 Posted by MagusMaleficus (1035 posts) -
BlackWaterCO said:
"Good for power outages, but a lightning bolt hits the house's systems directly, it will blow that strip up and cook the Xbox and then your TV and whatever else you had plugged in on that curcuit

I live in Florida, and our Thunderstorms are a daily factor and they are very violent when it comes to Air-to-ground lightning. My old tube TV and PS2 got fried once from a hit. Loudest boom ive ever heard"
I know. I was just pointing out to CaseyWegner that if he absolutely had to play during a storm, a UPS is pretty much the only way to go. However, I agree the smartest thing to do would be to turn everything off, unplug it all, and just read a damn book until the storm passes.
#14 Posted by CaptainErock (19 posts) -

I feel your pain on this,  on my 3rd. 

#15 Posted by Ehden (214 posts) -

I'm on my 3rd right now and it keeps getting one red light, So im going to have to purposefully overheat it until it gets three red lights so that I dont have to pay a ridiculous amount to get it repaired.

#16 Posted by xplodedd (1316 posts) -

im on my second.

#17 Posted by ManMadeGod (1552 posts) -

At least you can send your system back in and get it fixed for free.
My wireless adapter just broke. I'm forced to go buy another for $100. Thanks MS for making the most faultily hardware in the history of video games.

#18 Edited by ThomasP (1655 posts) -
CaseyWegner said:

"Anyhow, so I got my launch elite model back from a RROD repair, and to my pleasant surprise i received a 06-28-08 model, she was running like a champ..... Until my controller died so I plugged it in. Now during all this there was a massive storm of which the power turned on and off 3 times in about 20 seconds. Because my controller was plugged in it kept turning the xbox back on and now i have RROD again >____>.

Moral of the story, never ever plug you controller into a 360 in a storm........
"

The moral of the story is don't by faulty hardware.
#19 Posted by Shawn (3825 posts) -

Some call it bad luck. I call it karma.

#20 Posted by Arestice (468 posts) -
CaseyWegner said:
"Anyhow, so I got my launch elite model back from a RROD repair, and to my pleasant surprise i received a 06-28-08 model, she was running like a champ..... Until my controller died so I plugged it in. Now during all this there was a massive storm of which the power turned on and off 3 times in about 20 seconds. Because my controller was plugged in it kept turning the xbox back on and now i have RROD again >____>.

Moral of the story, never ever plug you controller into a 360 in a storm........
"
Justice has been served. All is right with the world aga-- ZOMBIES.
#21 Posted by heretrix (84 posts) -
ManMadeGod said:
"At least you can send your system back in and get it fixed for free.
My wireless adapter just broke. I'm forced to go buy another for $100. Thanks MS for making the most faultily hardware in the history of video games.
"
A regular Xbox wireless adapter will work and there are other cheaper options. Buying the 360 wireless adapter is for suckers.
#22 Edited by staxontoplyon (18 posts) -

I figured it out, its that damn "sucked in" design of the case, totally bad for air flow, it should have been inhaling instead.

#23 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

Lol that sucks bro, im sorry. :( Living in fear of your console dying on you isn't easy!

#24 Posted by Dj (913 posts) -

I would recommend some Surge protectors.

#25 Posted by Shocker (2339 posts) -

Unlucky. So far mine hasn't broken...yet.

#26 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

Sucks for you. Not for me.

Watch as Karma strikes me the instant I go play my 360...

#27 Posted by Pleasureizmine (2136 posts) -
Dj said:
"I would recommend some Surge protectors."
Yeah, mircosoft recommends that you plug it directly into the wall though
#28 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

Have you tried turning it on again or is it shot?  I had a power surge, giving my 360 the RROD.  I turned it off.  When I turned it back on it was fine, and it has been fine ever since.

#29 Posted by Shotaro (820 posts) -
BlackWaterCO said:
"MagusMaleficus said:
"CaseyWegner said:
"MagusMaleficus said:
"Moral of the story should be: never play your 360 during a storm, unless you have that thing plugged into a UPS."
I hate how they use UPS they are the garbage company of shipping, USPS is so much cheaper and faster
"
No, I meant a Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS for short). I guess I should have elaborated earlier. They're like power strips, but they use batteries to insure uninterrupted use of electronic appliances in case of a power outage."
Good for power outages, but a lightning bolt hits the house's systems directly, it will blow that strip up and cook the Xbox and then your TV and whatever else you had plugged in on that curcuit

I live in Florida, and our Thunderstorms are a daily factor and they are very violent when it comes to Air-to-ground lightning. My old tube TV and PS2 got fried once from a hit. Loudest boom ive ever heard
"
ooh I hope that happens here the one I have will pay out $100,000 if something plugged into it get fried by a surge. (the manufacturer obviously not the actual UPS itself)
#30 Posted by Blu_Magic (2021 posts) -

Wow that sucks.

#31 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -
BlackWaterCO said:
"I used to be so paranoid of the three red lights, but i've had this 2006 model 360 until now and she's running well to this day...

I think I might get an elite someday when I get some extra money saved up"
Same with mine, but I'm not thinking of getting an Elite.
#32 Posted by twenty0ne (3071 posts) -

I've only had the red rings once.

And I've also noticed that the impersonator CaseyW is quite a spaz.

#33 Posted by Jonathan (654 posts) -

Unplug it and plug it back in. Then turn it on again. You often get red lights when the power goes out for a second but it isn't the 3 red lights.

#34 Posted by zmf (50 posts) -

A RROD is the biggest dissappointment since Peter Molyneux's Fable 1 claims.

Only received them twice but have never had to send them back to Microsoft as they fix themselves after a day somehow.

#35 Posted by twenty0ne (3071 posts) -
zmf said:
"A RROD is the biggest dissappointment since Peter Molyneux's Fable 1 claims.

Only received them twice but have never had to send them back to Microsoft as they fix themselves after a day somehow.
"
You're really lucky.
#36 Posted by VibratingDonkey (862 posts) -
Arestice said:
"CaseyWegner said:
"Anyhow, so I got my launch elite model back from a RROD repair, and to my pleasant surprise i received a 06-28-08 model, she was running like a champ..... Until my controller died so I plugged it in. Now during all this there was a massive storm of which the power turned on and off 3 times in about 20 seconds. Because my controller was plugged in it kept turning the xbox back on and now i have RROD again >____>.

Moral of the story, never ever plug you controller into a 360 in a storm........
"
Justice has been served. All is right with the world aga-- ZOMBIES.
"
Just bite back.

CaseyWegner
said:
"Moral of the story, never ever plug you controller into a 360 in a storm........
"
Just storm back.
#37 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -

Mine RROD'd during a storm also. But within 10 minutes or so it was fine again

#38 Posted by BiffMcBlumpkin (3720 posts) -
CaseyWegner said:
"MagusMaleficus said:
"Moral of the story should be: never play your 360 during a storm, unless you have that thing plugged into a UPS."
I hate how they use UPS they are the garbage company of shipping, USPS is so much cheaper and faster
"

Hahaha.
#39 Posted by BiffMcBlumpkin (3720 posts) -
Shotaro said:
"BlackWaterCO said:
"MagusMaleficus said:
"CaseyWegner said:
"MagusMaleficus said:
"Moral of the story should be: never play your 360 during a storm, unless you have that thing plugged into a UPS."
I hate how they use UPS they are the garbage company of shipping, USPS is so much cheaper and faster
"
No, I meant a Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS for short). I guess I should have elaborated earlier. They're like power strips, but they use batteries to insure uninterrupted use of electronic appliances in case of a power outage."
Good for power outages, but a lightning bolt hits the house's systems directly, it will blow that strip up and cook the Xbox and then your TV and whatever else you had plugged in on that curcuit

I live in Florida, and our Thunderstorms are a daily factor and they are very violent when it comes to Air-to-ground lightning. My old tube TV and PS2 got fried once from a hit. Loudest boom ive ever heard
"
ooh I hope that happens here the one I have will pay out $100,000 if something plugged into it get fried by a surge. (the manufacturer obviously not the actual UPS itself)
"
I don't know what UPS manufacturer you got that guarantee from, or how much you paid for it, but even if it did happen you'd never be able to prove it.
#40 Posted by Nik_NYG (558 posts) -

Bad luck dude

#41 Posted by Pleasureizmine (2136 posts) -
twenty0ne said:
"I've only had the red rings once.

And I've also noticed that the impersonator CaseyW is quite a spaz.
"
I know that rat bastuard
#42 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -
twenty0ne said:
"I've only had the red rings once.

And I've also noticed that the impersonator CaseyW is quite a spaz.
"
lol. I didn't know there were two.
#43 Posted by Steve_Ramirez (1257 posts) -

Hope that does not happen to me, expecting mine back in a couple of weeks

#44 Posted by Pleasureizmine (2136 posts) -

Buy a can of dust off, alot of the time the GPU heatsink gets covered in dust and doesnt function at full capacity.

#45 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -
CaseyWegner said:
"Buy a can of dust off, alot of the time the GPU heatsink gets covered in dust and doesnt function at full capacity.
"
I heard that. Didn't think it was true.
#46 Posted by DarkLegend (1387 posts) -

Fuck man, that sucks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.