Gamerpics and themes.

#1 Posted by shadowjak (456 posts) -

Will you continue to buy gamerpics and themes hoping the new XBL update will support them or no? The reason I ask is this has been a recent topic among my friends online.

I say no, with avatars I don't think gamerpics will be supported and I never bought themes.

#2 Posted by Philip (127 posts) -

I believe gamerpics will still be used, I dont see why they would not. And they did show that the Themes would somehow be intergrated. I am sure there is some tweaking to do, but if they did not support them, then there would be uproar.

#3 Posted by shadowjak (456 posts) -

Philip said:

"I believe gamerpics will still be used, I dont see why they would not. And they did show that the Themes would somehow be intergrated. I am sure there is some tweaking to do, but if they did not support them, then there would be uproar.
"

Agreed, people would want a refund. But what purpose could a gamerpic have with an avatar? I can see themes being used though.

#4 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -

No, iv finished buying themes and gamerpics after hearing about the latest dashboard update

#5 Edited by Eoco (81 posts) -

Major Nelson has recently confirmed that you do not HAVE to create an avatar with the new dashboard. Also themes and gamerpics, that have already been purchased, will be fully compatible, so you haven't wasted your money.

#6 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -

Yeah but whats the bet, most people will create one despite hating it or not.

#7 Posted by PeterPantsless (34 posts) -

I have a policy of never buying that stuff anyway, so I'm not affected. Am I the only person who is cautiously optomistic about the whole avatar thing?

#8 Posted by shadowjak (456 posts) -

PeterPantsless said:

"  I have a policy of never buying that stuff anyway, so I'm not affected. Am I the only person who is cautiously optomistic about the whole avatar thing?"

I actually don't mind it. For all the new features, it's by far worth it.

#9 Posted by Strife88 (225 posts) -

I already have enough themes and gamer pics, so I probably won't get anymore unless it's free since I don't know if the new dashboard will support them.

#10 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -

I dont mind the avatars, i just dont like the mii'ish approach to it.

#11 Posted by MsCortana (429 posts) -

I bore quite easily, therefore, I can almost guarantee I will download new themes. :D

#12 Posted by Bennyishere (1685 posts) -

For the last time, they WILL BE SUPPORTED. Watch the news.

#13 Edited by mistical (23 posts) -
Bennyishere said:
"For the last time, they WILL BE SUPPORTED. Watch the news."
Just as said above and by Eoco and among whoever else has stated this. Very much true. Especially because many people would be outraged and want refunds, it would not ever be really smart of Microsoft to do this. You can listen and read confirmation at these links at Major Nelson's site.

Listen to him explain it on his podcast (not sure of exact minute he discusses it): http://majornelson.com/archive/2008/07/20/show-287-e3-and-the-new-xbox-experience.aspx
Or slighty read about it in this post here: http://majornelson.com/archive/2008/07/16/what-your-themes-could-look-like-in-new-xbox-experience.aspx
#14 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -

Your post looks hard to read.

#15 Posted by JazzMaverick (108 posts) -

I've never wasted money on gamerpics and themes anyway....so no.

#16 Posted by Peacemaker (1106 posts) -

The only time I buy gamer pics and themes is A. if they are free or B.  I have a dumb number of points left over in my account.

#18 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -

I don't really like the avatar idea(like someone said before, too much like the Miis), but I think I'll keep buying themes.

#19 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -

I don't buy many but no I will not continue to buy them.

#20 Edited by AnEternalEnigma (285 posts) -

Paying for icons and wallpaper is the stupidest thing ever created. People that buy them are contributing to nickel and diming of this generation.

#21 Posted by Raiden36O (123 posts) -

I imagine they would have to still be supported in some capacity otherwise people would get pretty enoyed having wasted alot of microsoft points. Perhaps everyone would be given a free arcade game or something to shut them up.

#22 Posted by KiLL3r (100 posts) -

Naw, I'll upload my own themes. I'll probably buy gamer pics since I'm against the Avatar as my avatar.

#23 Posted by SlimDogg (159 posts) -

I am not buying anymore gamer pics or themes. Not that i have bought many. I have my Bungie 08 theme and gamer pics so i am good. I will continue my DL of all free themes and gamer pics . Just to show MS that free gets more DL.  Not that it prob has any effect.

#24 Posted by Bloodbath (85 posts) -

If you look at the marketplace, the number of gamer pics released ever week is going down A LOT, but themes are still coming pretty strong.

#25 Posted by TheGTAvaccine (2884 posts) -

I dont buy em to begin with.

#26 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -
AnEternalEnigma said:
"Paying for icons and wallpaper is the stupidest thing ever created. People that buy them are contributing to nickel and diming of this generation.
"

I agree, its just MS and their ways of making even more money on shit.
#27 Posted by mjwickstrom1 (186 posts) -

Gamerpics and themes will still be available to buy and use after the fall update. Major Nelson said so.

#28 Posted by Jolly_Lolly (3537 posts) -

I don't even see the need for purchasing them. The free one's are more than enough to satisfy anyone's taste, imo.

#29 Posted by BlackSuitAndTie9 (289 posts) -

I read somewhere that avatars will be implemented somehow, so I'm not worried. We already saw how Themes are going to work, so I'll continue to buy those.

#30 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Does anyone hear use MajorNelson.com?
Well he's confirmed both are still able to be used - With mock-up images provided :)

#31 Posted by ajarbuckle (173 posts) -

there will still be gamer pics and themes, it has already been confirmed dumbshit.

#32 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

on the subject there's these really cool gears 2 pics in the E3 08 section. they're free as well :D

#33 Posted by TOYBOXX (310 posts) -

I only download the free picture packs and themes. If they aren't free then I pass them by.

#34 Posted by shadowjak (456 posts) -
ajarbuckle said:
"there will still be gamer pics and themes, it has already been confirmed dumbshit."
Great job with the unneccessary flamnig when this was posted BEFORE confirmation.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.