Games for a co-op party

#1 Posted by isomeri (1254 posts) -

After watching the new co-op oriented TNTs here on Giant Bomb, I’ve started to crave for a similar kind of experience myself. Sure you can play co-op online, but it doesn’t really compare to being in the same room with your friends. So I’ve decided to throw a small LAN-party for three of my friends, hopefully within a couple of weeks. I just sold my old Elite 360 to one of these friends, and he doesn’t yet own any co-op games. The rest of us have the usual suspects like Halo and Gears, but we’ve already played through those games previously in online co-op.

So I’m hoping that you, the Giant Bomb community, could recommend us some great co-op games for the party. These games would have to be less expensive if all of us are going to buy copies, so I’m mainly looking for older gems of the 360 catalogue. Games from XBLA are contenders as well.

#2 Posted by isomeri (1254 posts) -

The party is coming up this Saturday, and I'm making my final picks. Since I got no recommendations from you guys I'm looking at playing through Halo 3: ODST on Legendary. I'd still be interested in your suggestions though. Especially XBLA-titles, since I probably don't have time to order any new games from Amazon.

#3 Posted by ptc (615 posts) -

Recent XBLA game Dungeon Defenders is supposed to have excellent co-op.  Up to 4 players too, local or xbox live.

#4 Posted by phish09 (1109 posts) -

Left 4 Dead should be pretty cheap now, even L4D2, but I prefer the first one.

Castle Crashers can be fun with friends, and pretty much only with friends.

I dunno...I don't play a ton of co-op games.

#5 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -

Lost Planet 2 is great coop, and I believe it supports system link

#6 Posted by ptc (615 posts) -
@SteamPunkJin said:

Lost Planet 2 is great coop, and I believe it supports system link

Lost Planet 2 is also available from games on demand ($20 download) if you don't have time to order the copies before the LAN party.
#7 Posted by chan05 (318 posts) -

If you are into sports games there is a lot to play: FIFA 12 (or 11), NBA 2K12 has a nice co op mode where you can play together in one team..which is quite fun. Or you just play against each other. Never had more fun gaming with my friends than while playing FIFA 12.

Other good co-op games:

• Gears of War 2 or 3 => Horde mode is a blast!
  • Halo 3/ Reach/ Anniversary has nice co op
  • Burnout Paradise has an awesome party mode
  • Rainbow Six Vegas 1/ or 2 is perfect for 2-3 player in co-op
  • Modern Warfare 1 / 2 / 3 => Spec Ops Mode
  • Black Ops => Zombie Mode
  • Skate 3 has nice multiplayer
#8 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -
  • Borderlands
  • Left 4 Dead
  • Left 4 Dead 2
#9 Posted by isomeri (1254 posts) -

Thanks for the recommendations! We're definitely going to go for some Halo 3/ODST/Reach as well as Gears 3. Dungeon Defenders and Castle Crashers sound like good Arcade picks. I'm heading to my local electronics store to pick up some CAT cables, and after that we're gonna start with the games.

#10 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Mario Party 2.

#11 Posted by pweidman (2326 posts) -

Rainbow Six:Vegas 1 or 2 Terrorist Hunting is amazingly fun, and will system link pretty sure. If you wanna have more laughs along the way, try Borderlands. As previously suggested, Lost Planet 2 has fantastic 4 player co-op with some of the best set piece boss fights ever. On XBLA, maybe Iron Brigade...it has a new survival mode too.

Ah...lucky you tc, good good times await. Nothing like local co-op w/friends.

#12 Posted by cotubbs (18 posts) -

No one has mentioned Scott Pilgrim! Great game, I even got my girlfriend sucked into it.

#13 Posted by Trylks (829 posts) -
#14 Posted by ptc (615 posts) -

@isomeri: so , what did you end up playing at the LAN party?

#15 Posted by isomeri (1254 posts) -

@Trylks said:

If I could I'd play horde in gears of war 2, I'm looking for a group of people that really want to get to level 50.

But if you want an answer to your question, this is what you want.

http://www.co-optimus.com/system.php?id=1&sort=rating&direction=ASC&playerComp=%3E%3D&playerNum=4&esrb=%&released=All&lan=on

Maybe for the next one. Enjoy, I wish I had friends could do the same.

Thanks for the link. I'll make use of it before our next LAN.

@ptc said:

@isomeri: so , what did you end up playing at the LAN party?

We ended up playing through Halo 3: ODST on Legendary. The game crapped out on us on one of the levels, and corrupted our game so that we didn't get the achievement for playing through on Legendary. I'll have to fix that before the weekend. At one point, with whiskey-induced nostalgia, we dug up a Monopoly board and spent a couple of hours with that. And finally at around 5am we got into a bit of Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer. Having not played any Call of Duty since the release of MW2 and being in a somewhat compromised physical state, I was still happy with my performance.

Our conclusion was, that we need to go organize a similar night around both Halo 3 and Reach. Playing through them on Legendary, before the release of Halo 4.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.