Games for Windows is now FREE?

#1 Posted by gold_n_eye (82 posts) -
#2 Edited by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -

I always thought it was free, just not ranked games.
And yes i think its fair, pc gamers can play on servers not run by Microsoft and by individual company's.
Where as the 360 has to play on servers hosted by Microsoft afaik,  so our fee covers cost of keeping the servers up.

#3 Posted by Ryan_ (174 posts) -

GREAT, they did what they should have done at the start

#4 Posted by Flexiable (98 posts) -

Yep, means a lot more people will use it. Will it make 360 Live free? Not for the foreseeable future...M$ make a lot of money out of Live so it'll have subscription fees for as long as that holds true.

#5 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1913 posts) -

It doesn't really affect me much to be quite honest.  Microsoft just dropped the ball and let Steam pick it up.

#6 Posted by Termite (2398 posts) -

I think they realized that no PC gamer in his right mind would pay money when 99.9 percent of PC games have free multiplayer (Excluding MMOs)

#7 Posted by MasterSplinter (636 posts) -

I think all Xbox Live subscribers who have seen this bit of information is keeping their fingers crossed.

#8 Posted by larkins_1 (5 posts) -
MasterSplinter said:
"I think all Xbox Live subscribers who have seen this bit of information is keeping their fingers crossed.
"
How'd you know?
#9 Posted by Lilja (128 posts) -

Yaay :D

#10 Posted by Nobility (295 posts) -

The way it always should have been.  I think steam has the market though, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.  An even better idea is for Microsoft to consider approacing Valve and create a unified service off the steam platform or a new collaboration.

#11 Posted by MAV3R1CK (125 posts) -

Well, sadly, this will not result in any Xbox LIVE free service.....we can only hope...:D

#12 Posted by Nibbz (203 posts) -

idc tbh.

#13 Posted by MOLE (321 posts) -

Xbox LIve needs a price cut.  I'm not talking about a $5 cut, more like a $25 price cut

#14 Posted by sgthalka (55 posts) -

If you've ever tried using GFW Live on PC, you wouldn't be willing to pay for it either.

It's a bit of a slap in the face to their console users, though. I'd recommend you all cancel your acounts in protest and buy PS3s.

#15 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -
sgthalka said:
"If you've ever tried using GFW Live on PC, you wouldn't be willing to pay for it either.

It's a bit of a slap in the face to their console users, though. I'd recommend you all cancel your acounts in protest and buy PS3s.
"
I dont think the ps3 part is right, but protesting would be good.

#16 Posted by Morte (1 posts) -

helo im a dog lying i knw serious

#17 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -
Morte said:
"helo im a dog lying i knw serious
"
Why so serious? oh because your a dog. Carry on
#18 Posted by Pitta (182 posts) -

Anyone who says GFWL sucks is a moron... It works great...

I dont have an issuie with the $50 a year for LIVE... only reason I am glad to see GFWL go free is to get more people bought into the service. I didn't see the problem with it being a paid service, and $50 bucks is pennies.... Anone that already has a LIVE account on the Xbox is already subscribed.... its LVIE..... not Xbox Live, not Games for Windows LIVE, just LIVE....

You pay to access it from the 360, and now yuo don't on the PC... Once they update LIVE to use it on the desktop, not just in a game, and they release the marketplace for it... steam will start to die slowly....

#19 Posted by DualReaver (3882 posts) -

This wasn't free from the start? lol

#20 Posted by Will1Lucky (408 posts) -

Seeing how I have no games which allows PC vs 360 it really doesnt affect me.

#21 Posted by DarkLegend (1387 posts) -

It wasn't free till now? 

#22 Posted by Aaron_G (1610 posts) -

It always should have been free to the PC gamers in my opinion. 

#23 Posted by DualReaver (3882 posts) -

I honestly didn't even know wtf games for windows meant on my game boxes.
Awe I gotta go install something and try this out now.

#24 Posted by Relys (984 posts) -

Now they need to do this for the xbox, and they'll lose their title of "greedy bastards".

#25 Edited by DualReaver (3882 posts) -

Okay upon trying this with Crysis. Wtf does it do? Is there something I have to install first?
Seriously their official site isn't clear at all.

#26 Posted by legend_cloud (359 posts) -

Cool:D

#28 Posted by Abunai (147 posts) -

Whoever green lighted a charge for playing online on PC (which has always been free) at microsoft needs a good slap.
Good to see that it is free now though.

#29 Posted by Roland (42 posts) -

I'm glad to see its free now, PC games shouldn't have a monthly fee. If only M$ would get around to letting us have XBL for free...

#30 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -
BlindEffekt said:
"I always thought it was free, just not ranked games.
And yes i think its fair, pc gamers can play on servers not run by Microsoft and by individual company's.
Where as the 360 has to play on servers hosted by Microsoft afaik,  so our fee covers cost of keeping the servers up.

"
Good point.
#31 Posted by albaker (437 posts) -

Lol PC gamers won the battle

#32 Posted by Pitta (182 posts) -

You game has to have the orange LIVE strips under the Games For Windows banner at the top of the box.... the thread it only for LIVE enables games... givin you achivements, and the ability to log in and start a unified friends list.... If you have a 360 and are on LIVE already, you can login with that email address and password and add to your gamerscore, as well as see and message friends... it basically brings whats good about xbox and LIVE to the PC.... giving you a unified list of friends and a single identity online... across BOTH platforms.... and it allows for crossplatform play on selected titles... eventualy it will be implied if the game is on both platforms that they can play together... its just a matter of time.... and another reason 360 > PS3....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.