Games you'd say I should play on XBLA.

#1 Posted by NTM (7234 posts) -

So, right now, I'm on the XBLA menu, and I'm going to go through the menu of the games I don't have but am interested in; some I already know about, some of which I don't really. I'll even add ones I see and think look interesting as I go and hadn't thought about previously, and I'd appreciate it if you guys can recommend me any of them, perhaps one above another, so I can tell which one I should play first. Just know, there's quite a lot of them because I didn't have a job when most of these games came out, so I couldn't buy them, but got a few great titles (like Outland; Shadow Complex; Scott Pilgrim and what have you) due to my brother being interested in them enough to buy them himself. Anyways, here we go.

• Any of The Walking Dead games.
  • Brothers
  • Terraria
  • Spelunky
  • Super Meat Boy
  • Fez
  • Limbo
  • Lara Croft: GoL
  • Mark of The Ninja
  • Dust: An Elysian Tail
  • Bastion
  • Exit
  • Exit 2 (Wow, I knew of the first, but didn't know of a sequel...)
  • I Am Alive

Alright, there you have it, those are the games. What do you think? I know, I know, it's a sin that didn't play some of these. Oh, and there's also Beyond Good and Evil, but I didn't add it because I already have it on the original Xbox, but the thing is I never actually beat it. Not sure if I should buy the HD version, or take out the old Xbox and play it if I wanted to (which I don't). My real question is, which order would you say buy and play them in? Thanks in advance :).

#2 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2284 posts) -

Definitely pick up Brothers and I Am Alive while they're both on sale. I haven't played either beyond the trial versions but they were pretty awesome.

Impressions of the ones from that list I own and have played:

• Walking Dead: First season was fantastic and I'm already liking Season Two even more. (Buy)
  • Spelunky: It's pretty damn difficult but oddly I always feel inspired to try again and again. Definitely not for everyone. (Try)
  • Super Meat Boy: My biggest surprise of 2010. Tight platformer. (Buy)
  • Fez: I think the design is brilliant but something about it never quite gripped me. Maybe it was because of Phil Fish. (Try)
  • Limbo: Fantastic game, can't praise the design enough. (Buy)
  • Mark of the Ninja: This game is pretty sick but I never got around to finishing it. (Still Buy though!)
  • Dust: It's pretty good. The story is interesting, characters are great, looks gorgeous, and it's fun to play. (Buy)
  • Bastion: It's pretty good. Not as great as GB will tell you but still worthy of trying. (Try)

Note: Even though I rate the games on a Buy/Try/Skip scale I'd still recommend trying all the free trials before purchasing. Just to make sure you like them.

#3 Posted by pweidman (2284 posts) -

Playing Brothers now and it's pretty good. Get it while it's cheap. Only other two I played on your list are Dust and Lara Croft: GoL. Both are very good and I recommend them too.

#4 Posted by realph (253 posts) -

The list you have above is a great starting point. I'd also recommend these:

• Trials
  • Trials Evolution
  • Battlefield 1942 (if the servers are still up)
  • Joe Danger
  • Geometry Wars
  • Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
  • Braid
  • Costume Quest
  • Lucidity (one of XBLA's hidden gems, IMO)
  • Rock Band: Blitz
  • Stacking
#5 Edited by pantzing_nome (581 posts) -
  • Wolf Among Us: The first episode of the is free until December 31.
  • Dead Rising Case Zero
  • Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon
  • Splosion Man
  • Ms Splosion Man
#6 Edited by YI_Orange (1124 posts) -

I have to disagree with @turtlebird95 about Bastion. It was my Game of the Year for 2011(somehow even beating Dark Souls) and all around fantastic game.

#7 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1577 posts) -

Definitely play Mark of the Ninja.

#8 Edited by NTM (7234 posts) -

@realph said:

The list you have above is a great starting point. I'd also recommend these:

• Trials
  • Trials Evolution
  • Battlefield 1942 (if the servers are still up)
  • Joe Danger
  • Geometry Wars
  • Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
  • Braid
  • Costume Quest
  • Lucidity (one of XBLA's hidden gems, IMO)
  • Rock Band: Blitz
  • Stacking

The ones I added were the ones I wanted to play, but also the only ones I added because I may already have ones I hadn't listed, or simply am not interested in. I have and beat Braid, and have Battlefield 1942, played it for a little bit but am not a multiplayer type of person. Thanks for the other recommendations, but like you said, the ones I mentioned are good starting points, so I'll be trying those first.

@pantzing_nome said:
  • Wolf Among Us: The first episode of the is free until December 31.
  • Dead Rising Case Zero
  • Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon
  • Splosion Man
  • Ms Splosion Man

I have and love Blood Dragon, and have Dead Rising Case Zero, that was alright. Thanks for those recommendations. I actually don't have Xbox Live anymore, and I'm guessing Wolf Among Us isn't free for non live users. I used to have a debit card, but not anymore, so I'd have to get one. Right now I'm going to have to ask my brother, and then I can immediately pay him back in cash.

#9 Posted by BBAlpert (1354 posts) -

I may be alone in this, but I'd say Orcs Must Die! is totally worth playing.

#10 Posted by Iodine (540 posts) -

You should get Uno.

I have no idea is people play Uno on 360 anymore, but that is my most played 360 game

#11 Edited by DarthOrange (3810 posts) -

Deadlight is probably my favorite XBLA game. It kinda gets iffy in the middle and the story is dumb but I liked the aesthetic.

#12 Edited by MetalBaofu (1343 posts) -

I had fun with the XBLA versions of Half-Minute Hero and Clash of Heroes. Others I would recommend have already been mentioned: Mark of the Ninja, Dust, Bastion, Wolf Among Us, etc.

#13 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2284 posts) -

I have to disagree with @turtlebird95 about Bastion. It was my Game of the Year for 2011(somehow even beating Dark Souls) and all around fantastic game.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Bastion. Just not as much as the rest of GiantBomb lol

#14 Edited by bigjeffrey (4709 posts) -

pac man ce dx bro

#15 Posted by pantzing_nome (581 posts) -

@ntm: I think its free for everyone because its grouped in with the year end deal and not the deal of the week(which is gold only)

#16 Posted by Archer88 (130 posts) -

I would second a lot of the games on here, like Bastion for example, but I wanted to add another to the list - Fusion: Genesis. Fun little top down space shooter with some RPG elements. There are MMO aspects too but there aren't enough players at this point.

#17 Posted by MetalBaofu (1343 posts) -

@ntm: I think its free for everyone because its grouped in with the year end deal and not the deal of the week(which is gold only)

Yeah, I got it just fine and don't have gold anymore. And will probably never play it because I already have it on PS3, but I figured I might as well grab it since it was free.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.