Getting a 360 - looking for good first gen titles

#1 Posted by JoyfullOFrockets (1177 posts) -

Since I'm not great on money, I figured I'd try out some of the quality earlier games for the platform. For now, I've got my eyes on these:

Perfect Dark: Zero
Battlefield: Modern Combat
Far Cry Instincts Predator
Crackdown
Dead Rising

And then there's some others which aren't that old but are still cheap:

Halo 3 
50 Cent: Blood on the Sand
Too Human
Call of Duty 3
Ninja Gaiden 2

That's pretty much it. I'm definitely not getting all of those, so opinions on which is better would be appreciated, or even some other good ones I haven't noticed :)

P.S. Any games that are available on the PC needn't be mentioned. Only multi-console platform or 360 exclusives.

#2 Posted by Icemael (6321 posts) -

The Darkness, Dead Space and Shadow Complex are all fantastic games that are really cheap.

#3 Posted by Valkyr (667 posts) -

Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, Bayonetta (ps3 version is crap)

#4 Posted by EpicSteve (6487 posts) -

Call of Duty 2 is a much better game than the third. The original Gears is great.

#5 Posted by ptc (619 posts) -

Bajo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts.

Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise.

Both fantastic, and fantastically inexpensive!

#6 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -
@Valkyr said:
"Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, Bayonetta (ps3 version is crap) "

It's been patched I believe.
#7 Posted by Gargantuan (1882 posts) -
@Icemael said:
" The Darkness, Dead Space and Shadow Complex are all fantastic games that are really cheap. "
Those three games are awesome!
#8 Posted by Bobby_The_Great (1004 posts) -

The Orange Box and  Banjo: Nuts and Bolts.
#9 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2688 posts) -

Dead Rising. Bioshock. Saints Row (1, but 2 is better). Mass Effect. Oblivion GOTY Edition is an absolute bargain these days.

#10 Posted by Necrotoxin (141 posts) -

The first Dead Rising.

#11 Posted by Chaser324 (6556 posts) -

I'm not sure if you really should even bother with a few of those games that you listed. Dead Rising and Crackdown are both very good, and you should definitely get them. I wouldn't bother with Far Cry Instincts or Battlefield: MC though because you can get the superior Far Cry 2 and Battlefied: Bad Company for probably about the same price.

I would also recommend getting CoD 2 instead of CoD 3, and you really probably shouldn't bother with Too Human or Perfect Dark Zero at this point.

Moderator Online
#12 Posted by Raymayne (1226 posts) -
@JoyfullOFrockets said:
" Since I'm not great on money, I figured I'd try out some of the quality earlier games for the platform. For now, I've got my eyes on these:  Perfect Dark: Zero Battlefield: Modern Combat Far Cry Instincts Predator Crackdown Dead Rising  And then there's some others which aren't that old but are still cheap:   Halo 3  50 Cent: Blood on the Sand Too Human Call of Duty 3 Ninja Gaiden 2  That's pretty much it. I'm definitely not getting all of those, so opinions on which is better would be appreciated, or even some other good ones I haven't noticed :)  P.S. Any games that are available on the PC needn't be mentioned. Only multi-console platform or 360 exclusives. "

Jesus no :| Don't waste your team with Battlefield 2 or Perfect Dark, really not worth it. Far Cry is also a shocking game, Far Cry 2 is pretty decent though and you can find that quite cheap. Halo 3 is obviously brilliant, as is Dead Rising and Ninja Gaiden 2 but everything else you listed....I'd kinda not recommend any of it. In fact if I were you I'd forget the idea of buying loads of cheap old games and just get a copy of Reach next week, I can pretty much assure you that you'd have much more fun with that than all those other old games combined.
#13 Posted by Ghil (229 posts) -

Here's a little breakdown:

Perfect Dark: Zero: a must..not buy. 
Battlefield: Modern Combat:  Bad Company is about the same price, and way better. 
Far Cry Instincts Predator: Far Cry 2 is in the bargain bin. 
Crackdown: a must. 
Dead Rising: as well.
Halo 3 : idem.
50 Cent: Blood on the Sand: nice action game that doesn' take itself seriously. 
Too Human: do not touch this. even with a ten-foot pole. It can and will be hazardeous to your health. 
Call of Duty 3: Grab the second instead. (like many others already said) or go straight to Modern Warfare 1. 
Ninja Gaiden 2: Yep!
The Saboteur is in the bargain bin these days, and quite a nice open world game.
If you like RPGs, Lost Odyssey.

After that, go on a buying frenzy on arcade titles that aren't that costy, but great games nonetheless:

Shadow Complex: Metroidvania at it's best in the recent years.
Monday Night Combat: for that multpiplayer frenzy, TF2 style.
Braid: best puzzle game on XBLA, period.
Geometry Wars 2: just great to have around when you want to waste 15 minutes.

and many many more titles are worth your attention, but...I don't have all day to list everything :)

#14 Posted by EVO (3913 posts) -

If those are first gen games, what gen are we in now?

#15 Posted by Ghil (229 posts) -

I don't think it's quite that clear cut. It probably applies just to the first wave of titles, which most of the time aren't as good as they should, in part because of the new systems.

#16 Posted by big_jon (5732 posts) -
@JoyfullOFrockets:

Don`t get Battlefield Modern Combat if you`re on a budget get the first Battlefield BadCompany game.
#17 Posted by audiosnag (1604 posts) -

Pick up Dead Space. And you can probably find Condemned 1 and 2 real cheap and those games are freaking awesome.

#18 Posted by Deusoma (3011 posts) -
#19 Posted by big_jon (5732 posts) -
@audiosnag said:
"Pick up Dead Space. And you can probably find Condemned 1 and 2 real cheap and those games are freaking awesome. "

Agreed 20 bucks easy and it is really awesome.
#20 Posted by twstd4lfe (3 posts) -

Great Early Games: 

PGR 3  
Kameo 
The Outfit 
PDZ 
Full Auto 

And relive the launch experience hahaha... seriously though thats a good start and its all first gen like you asked

#21 Posted by Scullinator (514 posts) -

Kameo is great.  I wasnt sure about the game at first it looks like a kiddie game,  but in the early days there was not a lot to choose from.  Still Kameo was one of my favorite games.

#22 Edited by kahi (114 posts) -

Kameo
Condemned 

#23 Edited by Heartagram (1182 posts) -
@JoyfullOFrockets: Dont get Perfect Dark Zero its horrible. Call of duty 3 is also my least favorite of the series. Deadrising 1 is really fun and has a bit of replay value and im sure its cheap by now.
#24 Edited by JoyfullOFrockets (1177 posts) -

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but I see most of you haven't noticed that some of the games you listed are also on PC, and as such, I've definitely played them. Dead Space, Call of Duty 2, Gears of War, Bioshock, Mass Effect + 2, Far Cry 2, and so on, I have played through.

But hey, thanks anyways. By the way, why is PDZ so hated? It's got good reviews all around.

#25 Posted by NickLott (793 posts) -

Most of the good stuff has been said. Might want to check out Bully: Scholarship Edition (Rockstar's best game IMO) and Fable II.

#26 Posted by JackColt (89 posts) -

For all that is wrong with it (and there is PLENTY) Too Human can actually be a fun Diablo-loot-grabbing dungeon crawler -- An itch not easy to scratch on 360, if you're in to that sort of thing. Plus the fighting mechanic is very unique, and satisfying once you get used to it. I recommend you play it co-op over XBL. And like others have said, even the low prices don't justify buying things like FC:Instincts and Battlefield MC. Go for the more recent iterations of those franchises. Also, look back on some gaming sites' archives for Best of the Year discussions from 3-4 years ago. All that stuff should be super cheap by now.

#27 Posted by gla55jAw (2689 posts) -

Rainbox Six Vegas 1 and 2!!!!

#28 Posted by Hunkulese (2729 posts) -

Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Gun. Both can be found for five bucks. Gun isn't a great game and has a lot of things wrong with it but the shooting mechanic is fucking awesome in that game. The story is also alright.

#29 Posted by JohnnyAutoFire (353 posts) -

First Generation?  They don't have achievements, but they have these sweat-ass overlays.
#30 Posted by KimFidler (311 posts) -

Definitely The Darkness, Orange Box, and The Club (under appreciated gem).  All can be had for around $10 now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.