GIANT POLL: The BEST retail Xbox 360 game - read all before voting!

  • 98 results
  • 1
  • 2
#51 Posted by Jrad (623 posts) -

I'd vote for Alpha Protocol if it were on here, though I only played it on PS3 and PC.

#52 Posted by OwnlyUzinWonHan (1480 posts) -

Tough to pick between Bayonetta and Street Fighter IV, but Bayonetta. Bioshock would be #3, but this isn't a top three, it's what's your favorite.

#53 Edited by JasonR86 (9715 posts) -

I would like to say Halo Reach. I think picking a multiplatform game is weird because that isn't exclusively the best retail Xbox 360 game. It's just a good game anyone can play. In terms of Xbox exclusives, Halo Reach is the best example of what the Xbox is really good at. The gameplay, controls, and multiplayer is some of the best the FPS genre has seen and the campaign is, to me, the best of all the Halo games. I think Halo Reach is the quintessential Xbox 360 experience.

EDIT: Oops. I picked 'Other' because I didn't see Halo Reach in the list. Pretend I voted for Halo Reach.

#54 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7098 posts) -
@PillClinton

Uuuuummm, hmmmm, maybe... Skyrim? Or Orange Box? Red Dead Redemption maybe? I DON'T KNOW YOU GAVE ME TOO MANY CHOICES.

Yeah I'm completely overwhelmed with choices here. I'm going with Skyrim or RDR.
Online
#55 Posted by DeF (4905 posts) -

I would've made a list with exclusives. Otherwise there's no point in specifying Xbox 360 as a platform.

That said: no idea. too many great games listed :)

#56 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

I don't know, this is tough for me. Some of the games on the poll have given me some awesome experiences, which were all unique in their own way. I feel like choosing one does no justice to the rest of the awesome titles listed.

#57 Posted by thatguywiththedeepvoice (21 posts) -

I clicked other, and I must ask: Where is Castle Crashers? Between my friends and I, we must have sank an untold amount of hours into beating the hell out of monsters and soldiers in that game. Where else did you fight a cat that could shoot lasers out of its eyes?

#58 Posted by mlarrabee (2972 posts) -

Fallout 3.

No contest.

#59 Edited by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

This is extremely tough, but my most cherished game on the 360 is definitely Borderlands. My mate and I played so many hours of that game, and it was all such a blast. Dead Rising 2, Banjo and Kazooie N&B, The Fallout games, and myriads of others are also great, but Borderlands will always be a standout for me. In fact, I didn't even care about that game until he told me how good it was, I had thought it would just be another dull FPS that someone churned out.

EDIT: Crap, RDR also had the best story in video games ever. This list is unfair. At least nobody has voted for DA2.

#60 Posted by Zacagawea (1596 posts) -

Holy shit, 230 votes and not a single one for GTA IV. Hype train was way too crazy for that one.

#61 Posted by laserbolts (5324 posts) -

I picked NHL 10 because I randomly picked one.

#62 Posted by Counterclockwork87 (681 posts) -

GTA IV is the best, its number one on metacritic for a reason!

#63 Posted by rockyhorrorgerri (374 posts) -

WHAT? Deadly premonition wasn't on the list? Jokes.... that game sucks. Bioshock for real though, best.game.ever. (on 360)

#64 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

Fuck yeah, Hannah Montana!

#65 Posted by Butano (1741 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption for sure, as a multiplatform title.

For 360 exclusive, either Halo Reach or ODST (which is somehow missing in this list.....)

#66 Posted by Redbullet685 (6047 posts) -

Bioshock. Its my all time favorite game and happens to be on Xbox 360.

#67 Edited by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

@mcderby4 said:

Fuck that, I cannot be forced to choose a single game!

Vee have vays of making you vote!

@mosespippy said:

Deadly Premonition is not on the list. The list is invalid.

No, you're invalid!

@ShiftyMagician said:

I don't think this poll was well thought out even though some good effort was put into that large list. If you intended this to be a poll for best game that just so happened to release on the 360, then it's all good. If you meant best game to be released exclusively on the 360, then this poll ain't so great. I'll say Skyrim for the former and FEZ for the latter. Skyrim for both quality of the game itself, size of content and how great it presents itself with a context-aware musical score and beautiful visuals given the limitations of the hardware. FEZ for originality and fantastic execution, complimented with pleasing aesthetics and memorable soundtrack.

Awww, you made me sad ....... it was only intended for the retail versions of any game on the Xbox 360. It doesn't matter about what platform it can be played on, it is simply intended that you have an Xbox 360, what was the best game on it.

@LordAndrew said:

Fuck yeah, Hannah Montana!

The video game militia will be paying you a visit soon!

#68 Posted by sarge1445 (676 posts) -

GTA4

#69 Posted by meaninoflife42 (513 posts) -

There is only one choice here and that choice is Hanna Montana: The Movie.

#70 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11138 posts) -

Why isn't Deadly Premonition there? WHY?!

Moderator
#71 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

@meaninoflife42 said:

There is only one choice here and that choice is Hanna Montana: The Movie.

Just showing up the litle girl demographic of Giantbomb ...... hey, they play games too!

#72 Posted by Tophat666 (232 posts) -

I can say without hesitation, no questions asked.

Dark Souls.

#73 Posted by VoleMaulder (63 posts) -

I admit that for a moment I was a little tempted to vote for Hannah Montana, just for the trolling of it, but I'm glad to say that I'm better than that!

I voted for Mass Effect 2. While it's true that the first one was truly special in terms of atmosphere, its characters and its sense of wonder, 2 was a better game overall.

I have to say, though, that Alan Wake has a special place in my heart.

#74 Posted by believer258 (11949 posts) -

The best exclusive, for me, is Halo 3. Yeah, Reach has more features but I put a whole lot more time into, and still have more interest in, Halo 3. I should like Reach better by all means - it's got less backtracking and a more difficult campaign, it brings the elites back, it's freakin' difficult - but I still like 3 better everytime I play it.

The best game on the system, period, is Skyrim. No contest. No other single game this generation has kept my attention for so long and so well, with nary a sign of a lull in interest, as that game. I'm still playing it, and fairly often.

#75 Posted by Alkaiser (364 posts) -

Its shocking to me that I only own a few of the games on that list. I've rented a bunch of them, but the majority hold little to no interest to me.

If we're going just general favorite game on the system I'd have to go with KOF 13. Man, every time I play that game I learn something new.

If we're going console exclusive, then... uh... shit. I guess I'd have to go with Protect Me Knight. An incredibly fun multiplayer game, but it feels weird to say its my favorite xbox 360 game.

#76 Posted by buft (3318 posts) -

Mass Effect 1, I was gonna say Oblivion because that was the game i played the most on this gen of consoles but when I think long and hard about it I think Mass Effect was the single biggest reason I went back to playing primarily on my Xbox after buying the Playstation and Wii.

#77 Edited by big_jon (5734 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

Critically acclaimed.

This is tough, but this is one of them.

Halo 3 is probably IMO, I love Halo Reach, Gears of War and so on, but those games have some glaring flaws.

I still think Halo: Reach has the best single player, and Battlefield Bad Company 2 has the best multi-player.

#78 Edited by Ares42 (2693 posts) -

It's tempting to say Mass Effect, Gears of War or Fallout 3 just because they are the games that have really colored this generation of games, however I have to go with Borderlands. While Borderlands hasn't had the same impact as the other three I've mentioned, it had at least the same amount of of innovation and I enjoyed it way more than Gears and Fallout. I did enjoy Mass Effect more than Borderlands, but it has been thoroughly tarnished by its sequels.

If one game should win this vote though it's Gears. It's easy to look back at it now and not think much of it, but at the time it was absolutely one of the biggest game-changers in the industry. The third-person cover gameplay, the way it told it's story, it has just had such a major impact on the industry. Most of the other games you see high in this poll owes so much to what Gears brought to the table.

Also, as a sidenote, I love that you included Resonance of Fate in your poll.

#79 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

It's a tie between Sleeping Dogs and Catherine. But i voted for Sleeping Dogs because it's the one i'm playing right now.

#80 Posted by VoleMaulder (63 posts) -

@Ares42: Gears has undeniably set the basis for much of this generation. I'm not sure if most influential equals best game, though. Still, that's a very good point. Gears is often not appreciated as much as it deserves.

#81 Posted by ReCkLeSs_X (460 posts) -

There are definitely a few on my list - skate 3 is one of them, but for the sake of this poll, I chose Bioshock.

Not many games captivate me in the way that Bioshock has; & I'm not even referring to the story twists and such, but the world. I had to have played that game at least 3 times when it game out - a rarity for me. I was so utterly awestruck at the world built in the game that just walking through the environment and studying each nook and cranny was an absolute pleasure.

Online
#82 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

@Contrarian: My refusal is law!

#83 Posted by Ares42 (2693 posts) -

@VoleMaulder: I agree that the "best game" award should probably go to the game that executed best on the new, great, innovative mechanics and concepts (as you see with ME2/RDR being highly praised), But ye, I think it's important to recognize that they would never be as great as they are if it wasn't for the true source material.

#84 Posted by Dixavd (1358 posts) -

Mirror's Edge as it is one of the few games of this generation which not only made me play the entire way through it glued to the screen in one sitting once, but twice years later! It is one of the few games of this generation which truly brought my body into it, one which left me with a beaming grin the moment it ended, and continued the development of my faith in video games to be able to actually continue to produce experience which truly envelops the mind around sensations that are more than just conflict.

#85 Posted by spazmaster666 (1968 posts) -

Tough choice for me between Gears of War 1 and Mass Effect 2. Gears of War 1 for me was THE reason why I bought a 360 while Mass Effect 2 was just damn impressive. I think I would have to go with Mass Effect 2 in the end.

#86 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1407 posts) -

Has to be Fifa 10 for me. I've played that game soo much and loved it.

#87 Edited by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1728 posts) -

ME2 is winning? Fucking gross. 

#88 Edited by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

People's love for ME2 is fucking mind boggling to me. It was good, but not the incredible masterpiece that some make it out to be; and not even the best of its own series.

#89 Posted by McGrittles (92 posts) -

Rainbow 6 Vegas is best game this gen IMO

#90 Posted by DarthOrange (3864 posts) -

Alan Wake. I mostly play on my PS3, Alan Wake was the only retail exclusive that made me want to get a 360. It did not disappoint.

#91 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

@mcderby4 said:

@Contrarian: My refusal is law!

I am above the law!

@Dixavd said:

Mirror's Edge as it is one of the few games of this generation which not only made me play the entire way through it glued to the screen in one sitting once, but twice years later! It is one of the few games of this generation which truly brought my body into it, one which left me with a beaming grin the moment it ended, and continued the development of my faith in video games to be able to actually continue to produce experience which truly envelops the mind around sensations that are more than just conflict.

With my propensity to motion sickness, Mirror's Edge is only less sickening to me than Portal. My copy will sit and never get played again I am guessing.

@DarthOrange said:

Alan Wake. I mostly play on my PS3, Alan Wake was the only retail exclusive that made me want to get a 360. It did not disappoint.

Had my copy for so long now and haven't touched it - I must put in the slot try and give it a go.

#92 Posted by shootermcclay (219 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

Deadly Premonition is not on the list. The list is invalid.

#93 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (1018 posts) -

Bayonetta, because it is goddamn Bayonetta.

#94 Posted by ssj4raditz (1125 posts) -

OTHER: Borderlands 2. No, I don't care if it's not out yet, it will be the GREATEST GAME EVER. GODDAMMIT.

#95 Posted by Grimluck343 (1149 posts) -

I have a feeling the games at the top are going to be the most heavily voted for.

I threw my vote in for Dead Space, because I fucking love me some Dead Space.

#96 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

@Grimluck343 said:

I have a feeling the games at the top are going to be the most heavily voted for.

I threw my vote in for Dead Space, because I fucking love me some Dead Space.

Well, the ones at the top are the highest rated games, which is only fair and expected really. I am a little surprised by how GTA IV has gone and it is right on the top. Hannah Monyana has more votes ...... didn't realise how many little girls there are around here!

#97 Posted by Dixavd (1358 posts) -

@Contrarian said:

@Dixavd said:

Mirror's Edge as it is one of the few games of this generation which not only made me play the entire way through it glued to the screen in one sitting once, but twice years later! It is one of the few games of this generation which truly brought my body into it, one which left me with a beaming grin the moment it ended, and continued the development of my faith in video games to be able to actually continue to produce experience which truly envelops the mind around sensations that are more than just conflict.

With my propensity to motion sickness, Mirror's Edge is only less sickening to me than Portal. My copy will sit and never get played again I am guessing.

The funny thing is, before I played Mirror's Edge I was exactly the same. I found the entire First Person perspective to be extremely jarring and confusing. I bought Mirror's Edge purely because I thought it was beautiful and the music was fantastic while expecting to not even get half way through it as I wouldn't struggle through the perspective that long. But what I found was that it was so good at showing speed and movement that I could run around in it and have an understanding of where my character was at all times. I found that the games limited use of weaponry really helped me not get confused; the part I usually found in games before it were that the weapon seemed to be in a very unrealistic position (either not seeing enough of it as my characters eyes were extremely narrow, or seeing too much or it as if my characters arms were right next to their face the whole time) but since most of the time you can play the game without picking up a weapon at all (you could play the entire game without picking up a weapon but I am just so bad at knowing when/where to run when snipers are on me that a couple times I hade to use weapons).

Now that I have played Mirror's Edge, it was a fantastic way of learning the entire first person perspective in games (to be able to look past the barrier that I always had with it) and now I am ok with the perspective (it isn't my favourite, and I am usually very inefficient when playing them as don't like to quickly jerk my characters head around; but I enjoy it). I would say that if you ever get an afternoon free or something that you should play the first few levels of it (especially since you already own it) since the game is extremely good (at least in the first few levels) of pointing out exactly where you need to go with their red markers so you could play them focusing only on those before you got used to it and then from that you could be able to look around the character world in relation to these red markers (and in turn know where that left you) until you get to a point where you actually know where your own character is in the 3D space.

#98 Posted by kindgineer (2738 posts) -

Mass Effect (series, I refuse to choose).

One of my favourite Sci-Fi stories ever (especially in a video game).

#99 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

@Dixavd said:

@Contrarian said:

@Dixavd said:

Mirror's Edge as it is one of the few games of this generation which not only made me play the entire way through it glued to the screen in one sitting once, but twice years later! It is one of the few games of this generation which truly brought my body into it, one which left me with a beaming grin the moment it ended, and continued the development of my faith in video games to be able to actually continue to produce experience which truly envelops the mind around sensations that are more than just conflict.

With my propensity to motion sickness, Mirror's Edge is only less sickening to me than Portal. My copy will sit and never get played again I am guessing.

The funny thing is, before I played Mirror's Edge I was exactly the same. I found the entire First Person perspective to be extremely jarring and confusing. I bought Mirror's Edge purely because I thought it was beautiful and the music was fantastic while expecting to not even get half way through it as I wouldn't struggle through the perspective that long. But what I found was that it was so good at showing speed and movement that I could run around in it and have an understanding of where my character was at all times. I found that the games limited use of weaponry really helped me not get confused; the part I usually found in games before it were that the weapon seemed to be in a very unrealistic position (either not seeing enough of it as my characters eyes were extremely narrow, or seeing too much or it as if my characters arms were right next to their face the whole time) but since most of the time you can play the game without picking up a weapon at all (you could play the entire game without picking up a weapon but I am just so bad at knowing when/where to run when snipers are on me that a couple times I hade to use weapons).

Now that I have played Mirror's Edge, it was a fantastic way of learning the entire first person perspective in games (to be able to look past the barrier that I always had with it) and now I am ok with the perspective (it isn't my favourite, and I am usually very inefficient when playing them as don't like to quickly jerk my characters head around; but I enjoy it). I would say that if you ever get an afternoon free or something that you should play the first few levels of it (especially since you already own it) since the game is extremely good (at least in the first few levels) of pointing out exactly where you need to go with their red markers so you could play them focusing only on those before you got used to it and then from that you could be able to look around the character world in relation to these red markers (and in turn know where that left you) until you get to a point where you actually know where your own character is in the 3D space.

I really enjoyed Bioshock, which is the firs time I wanted to play a first perspective game despite my nausea. However, no matter how great the game is, I still found that nausea and vertigo struck me pretty hard for indulging in a couple of hours of it. WHo knows, maybe mine is worse than yours, maybe not. Lucky for me I almost always dislike first person shooters, so it isn't something I need to worru about. On the other side though, I used to avoid cockpit view in car racing and I love car racing games. Then I gave it a good shot in GT5 and have never looked back, no more motion sickness on that at all, but it is a 3rd person perspective, not first (I get sick playing a lot of games). I remember my first try at Mass Effect, that hurt bad, so I never went back to that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.