Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Good intro FPS on 360?

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ZenaxPure

Title almost says it all, but anyhow allow me to explain. I like the FPS genre quite a bit, but as a kid my mom rarely let me own a FPS (crazy christian lady, my FPS thus far includes PD on the N64, MoHH2 on the Wii I quite enjoy, and the not so good not so bad Red Steel) so it is just recently I have really been able to get into the genre. The bad part is as much as I like them I am terrible at them, especially when it comes to dual analog. 

So I am looking for a good console FPS on the 360 to really give me some practice with dual analog, I want something that is not too challenging but not too easy, fun, not Halo 3 (nothing again the game/series, but I've no desire to start at the end of a series), and no auto aiming preferably... Any ideas?
    roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By roofy

COD4 is usually good for beginners because the controls are very intuitive

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By RandomHero666

Yea COD4 or the amazing Orange box, 5 shooters for the price of one, and a very involving story

DrPepper1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By DrPepper1990

Get Gears of war if you just want a shooter, but if you have to have an fps tjhen get all the halos, 1 and 2 are cheap as hell while 3 isnt too expensive Either,I got all 3 of them for like $70.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By atejas

If third person is not an issue, get Lost Planet. Highly underrated.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Demilich

The Orange Box, Call of Duty 4, BioShock. In that order.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Emilio

Condemned!

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Are you looking for a good single player experience, multiplayer experience or both?

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By crunchUK

get them all. can't go wrong there

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By crunchUK

get them all. can't go wrong there

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By kush

I would probably recommend COD4 and Bioshock.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ZenaxPure
    MattyFTM said:
    "Are you looking for a good single player experience, multiplayer experience or both?"
    Doesn't really matter, just something to get used to being good with dual analog controls. Played COD4 online at a friend's once and failed horribly at it. Kept trying to aim by moving my actual character instead of aiming since it took me to long to really aim at him and shoot.
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Demyx

Get Orange Box, COD4, and Bioshock. And maybe Perfect Dark zero, im sure its pretty cheap

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#15  Edited By wefwefasdf

I would recommend Halo 3 if you are going for multi player because of the ranking system.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By crunchUK

actually the ranking system in halo 3 is pretty bad. what with boosters and de-expers. but hey tomorrow there's a NEW one coming out

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Systech

Bioshock, you'll love it. Make sure you play it in the dark though because daylight ruins the game's atmosphere.

Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Fosssil

If you are looking for awesome multiplayer, and don't mind a bit of a learning curve, then I wholeheartedly recommend Shadowrun. It can be a challenge for new players at first because of the complex nature of the gameplay, but once you get over that initial step you will find an incredibly diverse and competitive game. Plus, it's only $15 for a copy at Gamestop.

If you're looking for something that you can just jump in to and start playing, try Call of Duty 4; it's pretty easy as far as multiplayer shooters go.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I'd say Orange Box. Half Life 2 has some of the best shootouts in the history of the genre.

drsalvador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By drsalvador

I'd suggest Cod4, start on the eaisest mode and make your way up.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#21  Edited By Vinchenzo
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "I'd say Orange Box. Half Life 2 has some of the best shootouts in the history of the genre."
    I agree. And with 5 games you have a lot of variety.
    TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Orange Box or CoD4.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23  Edited By kush

I do want to say that even though you stated you don't want to play Halo 3 because it's #3...you should really play that game too. If you're holding out for a "story" ...don't bother. And Halo 3 is really shooter friendly and definitely the best in the series for newcomers.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ZenaxPure

Hmm, looks like I can get orange box for a lot cheaper than CoD4 so I will probably go that route for now. Thanks for the feedback folks.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dabear
    Zenaxzd said:
    "Title almost says it all, but anyhow allow me to explain. I like the FPS genre quite a bit, but as a kid my mom rarely let me own a FPS (crazy christian lady, my FPS thus far includes PD on the N64, MoHH2 on the Wii I quite enjoy, and the not so good not so bad Red Steel) so it is just recently I have really been able to get into the genre. The bad part is as much as I like them I am terrible at them, especially when it comes to dual analog. 
    So I am looking for a good console FPS on the 360 to really give me some practice with dual analog, I want something that is not too challenging but not too easy, fun, not Halo 3 (nothing again the game/series, but I've no desire to start at the end of a series), and no auto aiming preferably... Any ideas?
    "
    If you want to teach yourself how to play games with using the dual analog sticks, get Geometry Wars.  If you must learn on a FPS, go download Halo (1) in the "XBox Originals" marketplace.
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#26  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Orange Box is an excellent choice for learning the ropes.  Portal alone will get you used to the dual analog sticks without having to worry too much about massive amounts of chaos happening while you're learning.  I'd also go with Halo 1 on Xbox Originals, then work up to 3.  The multiplayer alone is worth it.

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Xandurson

I as well would go with COD4. Or Halo but COD4 is MUCH better!

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

Call of Duty 4 is newbie friendly

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By coakroach

Halo 3 is the best newbie friendly game no doubt

agent_lost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By agent_lost

Call of Duty 4, it easy for someone to get what going on.

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bulldog19892

COD4, by far.

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By DARKIDO07
    RandomHero666 said:
    "Yea COD4 or the amazing Orange box, 5 shooters for the price of one, and a very involving story"
    No Orange Box is horrible if your new to shooters. I would say Call of Duty 4 or Halo 3 come to mind.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Vinchenzo
    DARKIDO07 said:
    "RandomHero666 said:
    "Yea COD4 or the amazing Orange box, 5 shooters for the price of one, and a very involving story"
    No Orange Box is horrible if your new to shooters. I would say Call of Duty 4 or Halo 3 come to mind."
    Why is Orange Box horrible for newcomers? It's accessible, has a great control scheme, an involving story, and unlike the original it is more lenient in it's difficulty. Also, you have 3 offline shooters, 1 mp shooter, and a puzzle fps.
    Ubergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ubergeist

COD4 is the best FPS out right now imo. Great single player, amazing multiplayer. I also started playing Battlefield: Bad Company recently and it's pretty fun, a change from a "run and gun" shooter. The Orange Box is a steal with Half Life 2 and Team Fortress 2 being great shooters. Bioshock is also amazing.

If you wanna get something a little cheaper there's COD2, Battlefield: Modern Combat or FEAR, which is decent.

Roger_Klotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Roger_Klotz

Definately Halo 3. The game is very simple and easy to play. As you get better there is still enough challenge as well.

tokyochicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By tokyochicken

Bioshock is definetly a interestign shooter with a nice setting and I suppose halo 3 its probably easy to find and cheap and isnt super dificult. Oh, and cood4 is definetly a must buy.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    Roger_Klotz said:
    "Definately Halo 3. The game is very simple and easy to play. As you get better there is still enough challenge as well."

but he's going to get owned online.  This actually applies for just about ever fps for him, but halo just has very good players.
    but the campaign would be good for him
    Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Warfare

Call of Duty 4.

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39  Edited By DARKIDO07
    Vinchenzo said:
    "DARKIDO07 said:
    "RandomHero666 said:
    No Orange Box is horrible if your new to shooters. I would say Call of Duty 4 or Halo 3 come to mind."
    Why is Orange Box horrible for newcomers? It's accessible, has a great control scheme, an involving story, and unlike the original it is more lenient in it's difficulty. Also, you have 3 offline shooters, 1 mp shooter, and a puzzle fps."
    Because Half-Life 2 is more complex and harder than most shooters. The opening is a little slow too, if you have rarely played shooters before or not at all your not going to have a clue what to do as opposed to Call of Duty 4 or Halo 3 where its pretty much (even though they are good games) "Here are some baddies, kill them." Where Half-Life is more "Here is a pistol, escape a city full of Combine, solve puzzle, drive/boat/walk for about two hours with no map, solve puzzle, and take on a few more Combine and Helicopters, solve puzzle, obtain Gravity Gun, solve puzzle, then massive Zombie attack level.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By keyhunter

Dark Messiah of might and magic Elements.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Vinchenzo
    DARKIDO07 said:
    "Vinchenzo said:
    "DARKIDO07 said:
    "RandomHero666 said:
    Why is Orange Box horrible for newcomers? It's accessible, has a great control scheme, an involving story, and unlike the original it is more lenient in it's difficulty. Also, you have 3 offline shooters, 1 mp shooter, and a puzzle fps."
    Because Half-Life 2 is more complex and harder than most shooters. The opening is a little slow too, if you have rarely played shooters before or not at all your not going to have a clue what to do as opposed to Call of Duty 4 or Halo 3 where its pretty much (even though they are good games) "Here are some baddies, kill them." Where Half-Life is more "Here is a pistol, escape a city full of Combine, solve puzzle, drive/boat/walk for about two hours with no map, solve puzzle, and take on a few more Combine and Helicopters, solve puzzle, obtain Gravity Gun, solve puzzle, then massive Zombie attack level."
    I think you assuming everybody who picks up a game completely out of their normal genre is an idiot. HL is linear enough that anybody with half a mind can pick up on what is going on. I think this is an arguable issue as to whether or not a "newbie" can pick-up and play, but I believe we can both [presumably] agree HL is way better than pretty much any other FPS.
    Ubergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Ubergeist
    Vinchenzo said:
    "DARKIDO07 said:
    "Vinchenzo said:
    "DARKIDO07 said:
    "RandomHero666 said:
    Because Half-Life 2 is more complex and harder than most shooters. The opening is a little slow too, if you have rarely played shooters before or not at all your not going to have a clue what to do as opposed to Call of Duty 4 or Halo 3 where its pretty much (even though they are good games) "Here are some baddies, kill them." Where Half-Life is more "Here is a pistol, escape a city full of Combine, solve puzzle, drive/boat/walk for about two hours with no map, solve puzzle, and take on a few more Combine and Helicopters, solve puzzle, obtain Gravity Gun, solve puzzle, then massive Zombie attack level."
    I think you assuming everybody who picks up a game completely out of their normal genre is an idiot. HL is linear enough that anybody with half a mind can pick up on what is going on. I think this is an arguable issue as to whether or not a "newbie" can pick-up and play, but I believe we can both [presumably] agree HL is way better than pretty much any other FPS."
    Yea HL2 is very linear.
    xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43  Edited By xplodedd
    Demilich said:
    "The Orange Box, Call of Duty 4, BioShock. In that order."
    weren't you the guy who said Bioshock sucked and you pirated it?
    anyways, id go with Halo 3 because it is so easy to get into.
    Max_Chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Max_Chill

Halo3 is easy to get into

chronicsmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#45  Edited By chronicsmoke

COD4,Halo 3,or Orange Box

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.