GOTY

• 57 results
#1 Edited by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -

If you could name Game Of The Year out of the xbox games you have played so far, what would it be?

Mine would be GTAIV, the game blew me away

#2 Edited by shadowjak (456 posts) -

GTAIV was only ok IMO compared to SA *is shot* Don't get me wrong, it was good, but I didn't enjoy it as much and really only beat it to beat near the end.

I would have to say Fallout 3 or MGS4. Both those games will pretty much be battling for it. MGS4 is now considered one of the greatest games ever. While Fallout 3 seems to rpovie endless fun with three ways to play.

#3 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

Seeing as the year isn't over...I can't really give an honest answer and you can't either.

#4 Edited by banksrob (1126 posts) -

what i predict will be has to be far cry 2, i am so hyped for this game, if its rubbish I don't know what i would do. Fallout 3, GOW2 however also look like strong contenders. Watch out for mirrors edge out there too and fable 2 :)

#5 Posted by RedSox8933 (2428 posts) -

Fallout 3, still foaming at the mouth because of that game.

#6 Posted by shadowjak (456 posts) -
Kush said:
"Seeing as the year isn't over...I can't really give an honest answer and you can't either.
"

But it is always fun to guess?
#7 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

I want to say Portal 2 if it comes out this year. :O But a logical guess would be RB2.

#8 Posted by epic_pets (1339 posts) -

Gears of war 2

#9 Posted by mad4it89 (115 posts) -

Right now I'd have to say GTAIV, but as Kush said it's still far too early to make a reasonable call for GOTY yet.

#10 Posted by twenty0ne (3071 posts) -

GTA IV was good, but doesn't deserve the GOTY in my opinion.

#11 Posted by BoG (5192 posts) -

It's July. We have plenty of great games ahead of us, why make a call now?

#12 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -

Like BoG said, I'll decide at the end of the year, when all the games that can possibly be release in 08 will be out.

#13 Posted by km1498 (5 posts) -

i agree with the users saying its too early, but my best guess would be that Gears 2 will take it.

#14 Posted by roofy (1005 posts) -

only time can tell. this thread will be more viable in november

#15 Posted by toast_burner (453 posts) -

littlebigplanet

#16 Posted by Godzilla_Sushi (1084 posts) -

So far....nothing?

I don't remember a more confusing time then when the big media sites were saying GTA 4 was "it" and everyone else was shrugging their shoulders. Like, "Really guys, are you SURE you want to give it a 10?"

At this point I've unfortunately convinced myself that Fallout 3 will be fantastic.

BUT! If you asked me right now which overall game would have the broadest appeal to every gamer this year, it would hands down be Spore. So, without playing anything or knowing what I'm speculating on.....Spore.

#17 Posted by Grilledcheez (3955 posts) -

I think it's too early to call...we don't know how the upcoming games are going to turn out, but I'm hoping Fable 2 is as good as I'm thinking it's going to be.

#18 Posted by David335 (15 posts) -

I am going to have to predict that far cry 2 or fallout 3 (if it makes it) will take it but right now it is GTA IV. That game was so amazing right before it came out I played San Andreas and it is such a giant improvement over an already amazing game.

#19 Posted by MatsSundin (84 posts) -

Based on the games that have already come out its MGS4 for me right now

#20 Posted by wizdom (28 posts) -

As of now MGS4, but I think LBP or Spore will overtake it by the end of the year for my personal GOTY.

#21 Posted by Termite (2398 posts) -

I think fallout 3 will have a chance when it comes out.

But that's just me

#22 Posted by ZeroCast (1869 posts) -

Well i guess it's going to be tough to choose 2008 Game Of The Year , you have got 2 amazing candidates until now ,not to mention the upcoming games that might be packed with surprises so until the end of 08 my GOTY is definitely GTA IV.

#23 Posted by solidphoenix (286 posts) -

The year's not over yet, so can't really say.

I'd predict the nominees will be:
Grand Theft Auto IV
Metal Gear Solid 4
Spore
Fallout 3
Little Big Planet

#24 Posted by Batman (1016 posts) -

Its really to early to say.  There are going to be a lot more great games coming out this year.

#25 Posted by RelentlessKnight (963 posts) -

its a bit too early to say it

#26 Posted by Strife88 (225 posts) -

Fallout 3, Metal Gear 4 or LittleBigPlanet.

#27 Posted by Nobility (295 posts) -

The year isn't finished yet but right now it would be GTA4.

#28 Posted by Wolverine (4282 posts) -

I don't know what the game of the year will be until the end of the year.

#29 Posted by samcotts (2258 posts) -

Wow, It's a really tough call thinking about it.

The games I really think have the potential to win GOTY:
LittleBigPlanet
Metal Gear Solid 4
Grand Theft Auto 4
Gears of War 2
Resistance 2
Spore
Fallout 3
Far Cry 2
Fable 2

Personally, I think it will be down to MGS4, LittleBigPlanet and Gears of War 2.

#30 Posted by Raiden36O (123 posts) -

I think either Metal Gear Solid 4 or Fall Out 3 will win, Fable 2 has a chance, and so does GTAIV given its critical acclaim but to be honest I got sick of GTAIV pretty quickly after completing it.

If i had to bet on it id say Fall Out 3 will win.

#31 Posted by Blu_Magic (2021 posts) -

So far GTA IV is GOTY for me but I'm pretty sure Gears of War 2 will dethrone it.

#32 Posted by MsCortana (429 posts) -

Too early to pick one....there are more games to come this year. :D

#33 Posted by TheGTAvaccine (2884 posts) -

Too early to tell.

#34 Posted by tancred8120 (93 posts) -

^^ what they said

#35 Posted by DarkLegend (1387 posts) -

I want to say Fallout 3.

#36 Posted by Alynablaze (82 posts) -

Gears of War 2

#37 Posted by steve316 (102 posts) -

gears of war 2 for sure, followed closly by mgs4 and gta4

#38 Posted by TheGTAvaccine (2884 posts) -

It's too early to be picking GOTY.

#39 Posted by MsCortana (429 posts) -
roofy said:
"only time can tell. this thread will be more viable in november
"
I agree, but if I had to guess based on what's been released to date....it would have to be GTA IV. :(
#40 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -
MsCortana said:
"roofy said:
"
I agree, but if I had to guess based on what's been released to date....it would have to be GTA IV. :(
"
No way! There's been more quality games than GTA IV.
#41 Posted by Churchy (17 posts) -

Well, out of whats come out so far this year I'd go with Patapon :)

#42 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -
Vinchenzo said:
"MsCortana said:
"roofy said:
"
"
No way! There's been more quality games than GTA IV.
"
In your opinion. Remember that
#43 Posted by Manks (836 posts) -

You have to wait and see because there are still some good games coming out that people haven't played yet. 

#44 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

GTA IV GOTY? Lol....

LBP for me, 100% sure of it.

#45 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -
Sentry said:
"GTA IV GOTY? Lol....

LBP for me, 100% sure of it.
"
Well GTAIV was a rare exception, in the case of multiple perfect scores. Lol all you want good sir
#46 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

But there are way more games better then GTA IV this year, honestly. Gears 2, Resistance 2, LBP, Fable 2, Fallout 3, and more. All those games are at least as good as GTA IV if not better. I just think GTA IV is overrated, play the game for a month then a review it. And its 10s were a huge part from R*, btw. Know this as fact.

#47 Posted by Thunder (390 posts) -

My three choices will be Gears 2, MGS4 and Fallout 3

Honorable Mention: LittleBigPlanet i think its a long shot for this game to win

#48 Posted by libertybell (8 posts) -

How about we wait until the year ends.....

Game of the YEAR. Not Game of the first 7 months of the year.

#49 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -
Sentry said:
"But there are way more games better then GTA IV this year, honestly. Gears 2, Resistance 2, LBP, Fable 2, Fallout 3, and more. All those games are at least as good as GTA IV if not better. I just think GTA IV is overrated, play the game for a month then a review it. And its 10s were a huge part from R*, btw. Know this as fact.
"
Your statement is pretty unfounded, i bet you haven't played half those games yet.
#50 Posted by ajarbuckle (173 posts) -

it's way to early to say but my bet is on Gears of war 2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.