Hard drive transfer kit & data transfer question

#1 Posted by raddevon (437 posts) -

I had to replace my original 360 because the video started going out. I ordered a data transfer cable from eBay to get the save data from my hard drive to the new console. This is where things get tricky. I want to transfer everything from the old console, but I have also played 10 hours of Borderlands on the new console and don't want to lose that data. Is there any way I can transfer all my old data but keep the Borderlands save using nothing but the transfer cable? I have thought of a couple of possible solutions, but I don't know if they would work.

I hear you can connect a 360 HD to a computer and transfer save data to and from the computer using the cable. Perhaps I could copy the Borderlands save to the computer, transfer the save data from my old hard drive to the new one, connect the new HD to the computer, and copy the Borderlands save onto it. My doubt in this one comes from a claim made by Microsoft saying the transfer cable can only be used one time. It sounds like bullshit to me. Can anyone comment?

My other possibility is to buy a memory card and use that to transfer the data. I want to avoid this because I have no use for a memory card outside this one circumstance. I would hate to pay $30 to use the damn thing one time.

Does anyone have experience that would be relevant here?

#2 Posted by JJWeatherman (14571 posts) -

Uhhh, well I'm fairly sure you can use the cable more than once. In fact, my friend bought a new HDD and used my old cable and disc to do his transfer. So you could try to transfer the file onto your computer. I think I connected my HDD to my computer once to see if I could but I think I needed a special program to explore the drive. I would recommend either starting Borderlands over or buying the memory card because who knows what using a 3rd party program to modify HDD content could end up doing.

#3 Posted by raddevon (437 posts) -
@JJWeatherman: I thought that sounded pretty preposterous. Thank you for the information.
#4 Posted by raddevon (437 posts) -

For anyone who may be interested, I fixed this problem. I got my transfer cable in the mail last night. I hooked up the new hard drive (the one with the Borderlands save) to my computer and used Codejunkies' Xport 360 software to browse the drive and find my save file. I copied this onto my computer, hooked up the other hard drive (the old one with all my stuff on it), and copied the file back onto it. It's not quite that simple, but that's basically what I did. It worked like a charm. I plan to post a guide to show how to transfer save data from one hard drive to another using this method.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.