Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Help! Microsoft Have Voided My Xbox for False Reasons

Avatar image for prettyhatemachine
    prettyhatemachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By prettyhatemachine

Ok so my younger brothers Xbox 360 was having problems, namely the disc drive just wasn't reading discs and had the stupid habit of in the middle of a game deciding the disc was dirty and then it wouldn't read it etc etc. So I filled out the Repair Centre form and everything for him and they took it away and everything seemed fine and dandy. Next thing it gets sent straight back with a letter daying they refuse to repair it because apparently its been tampered with (no details or other explanation) so after repeatedly trying to get in touch with them and being brushed off and left on hold endlessly they finally say "Oh well we'll look into it for you and get back to you on your home number ASAP". Lo and behold, they never bother getting in touch or making any effort whatsoever.

So again after the same ardous run-around trying to speak to someone who actually knows anything/in the correct sub department of a sub department I'm told "Yeah it was tampered with so we've voided you warranty and we wont repair it." when asked how exactly the console (Purchased in October 2008) has been tampered with (by a 12 year old seemingly) is that hes downloaded illegal software on to it (from where exactly this is, or even what the hell this is they didn't say or even know) and when presented with his download history consisting of game demos and offical Marketplace add ons they shrugged us off with "Well it could have been pirated software or a pirated game". I know for a fact that a pirated game has never been in that Xbox, let alone my house for that matter, but what the hell am I supposed to do?

I'm being presented with a united front of beligerence and bureaucratic nonsense that the Xbox will not get repaired and its warranty is now void. Oh yeah and just to top it all, in clarifying that the Xbox has been "tampered with" its now completely broke; they've taken a console with a dodgy disc drive and turned it into a useless piece of junk which adds a nice finish to the b/s they've piled on us already. Does anybody know of way around this crap or how the hell I can get this sorted? It seems to me to be a complete injustice and gross error by Microsoft but what can I do? How the hell do I even go about proving innocence and the truth?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

Pop off the faceplate and look at the condition of the official Microsoft seal. My guess is that the seal is broken.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Do you still have the receipt? Because depending on the warranty laws in your part of the world, it should still be covered by the store warranty (which are usually 1 year). So the store should replace it. They'll probably have to replace everything that came in the box though, which includes your Hard Drive, so you'll lose you're save data and stuff (but you could back that up on a memory unit before hand if you can get access to a non-broken 360) but it's better than having a bricked console.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By meptron

Dude that sucks. They might be giving you the run around because you're a kid and they figure they can get away with it. If you think your parents will help you with this, you could explain the problem to them and ask them to call in for you. If your parents can be really firm over the phone, you'll get them to listen eventually. If they are going to void your warranty, I feel they have an obligation to provide specific details as to what the violation was.

Dealing with microsoft is such a hassle... and I don't want to sound like a fanboy, but their product is so dodgy with regards to hardware reliability... meaning the consumer gets fucked.
    Avatar image for prettyhatemachine
    prettyhatemachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By prettyhatemachine
    Meptron said:
    Dude that sucks. They might be giving you the run around because you're a kid and they figure they can ... [more]
    I'm 20 myself,so you would expect them to at least treat me with some modicum of respect. Problem is I'm now having to try and help my parents sort this out for my brother from other side of country. My dad has been calling them past couple of days and just being redirected down an endless barrage of foreign call centres. I haven't had too many problems with them in previous repairs on my console,aside from usual bureaucratic nonsense you get when ringing up repair centres that have a god awful grasp of English. But this is first time anythings needed to be done on my brothers console. 
    MattyFTM said:
    Do you still have the receipt? Because depending on the warranty laws in your part of the world, it should ... [more]

Yeah my parents are real sticklers for things like that, they bought him it for his bday so they've still got it safely with their other documents. With my first repair I needed to make on my console I first went to store where I still had warranty but they palmed me off on to Xbox repair center (Oh the joys of a small local store run by losers who spend all day playing games and loathe customers/daylight) . I think, fingers crossed anyway, that my parents bought it from Amazon or Argos so theyre far more reliable with replacing and refunding on such things. Shall have to confirm that however
    MB said:
    Pop off the faceplate and look at the condition of the official Microsoft seal. My guess is that the seal ... [more]
    It's a possibility, I haven't looked myself. Against my advice my dad changed the faceplate on his Xbox (my Dad runs an electronic components company so doubt he would be careless about it)  though it was an official Microsoft one that they supplied in his Xbox bundle so seems slightly crazy to include something that deliberately sabotaged it

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.