How Many USB Drives Can I Use At Once?

#1 Posted by 1337W422102 (1021 posts) -

Hey duders, sorry if this is a stupid question, but I can't find an answer on the Xbox Support site.
So you can use 16-gig USB flash drives to store stuff, yes?  But how many are you allowed to have plugged into the system at once?  Am I only allowed to use one, or could I jam five drives into all those USB ports?

#2 Posted by 1337W422102 (1021 posts) -

Bueller?  Bueller?

#3 Posted by AndrewB (7686 posts) -

As far as I know, as many as you have USB ports. I only have an ancient 360 dug up from the depths of the red-ring apocalypse with 3 ports, but I've filled them with two USB sticks and a hard drive before.

#4 Posted by OldGuy (1574 posts) -
@1337W422102: Keep plugging them in until you run out of ports... they'll all work.
#5 Posted by 1337W422102 (1021 posts) -
@AndrewB said:

As far as I know, as many as you have USB ports. I only have an ancient 360 dug up from the depths of the red-ring apocalypse with 3 ports, but I've filled them with two USB sticks and a hard drive before.

@OldGuy said:
@1337W422102: Keep plugging them in until you run out of ports... they'll all work.
Thanks, fellas!
#6 Posted by believer258 (12103 posts) -

There are three ports on my Xbox. I would assume this means that I can have three USB flash drives plugged in at any given time. I'm not sure if there are more or less USB ports on any other Xbox.

@1337W422102 said:

Bueller? Bueller?

I think his grandmother died.

(or was it aunt? Damn it, I can't remember)

#7 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

@OldGuy said:

The USB standard allows for something like 100+ devices to be connected. I wonder how many hubs you could chain together before the 360 says no more.

#8 Posted by 1337W422102 (1021 posts) -
@believer258 said:

There are three ports on my Xbox. I would assume this means that I can have three USB flash drives plugged in at any given time. I'm not sure if there are more or less USB ports on any other Xbox.

@1337W422102 said:

Bueller? Bueller?

I think his grandmother died.

(or was it aunt? Damn it, I can't remember)

The Slim has 5, three in the back, two on the front, so I was just wondering if I could slam in 5 USB drives and call it good.  I think there used to be a limit of 2 USB drives, but I'm probably mistaken.

@louiedog said:

@OldGuy said:

The USB standard allows for something like 100+ devices to be connected. I wonder how many hubs you could chain together before the 360 says no more.

Someone should try this, for science.
#9 Edited by Zidd (1857 posts) -

2 drives or 32GB worth I believe

#10 Posted by 1337W422102 (1021 posts) -
@Zidd said:

2 drives or 32GB worth I believe

I thought it was something like that.  I remember reading on their Xbox support site that this was the limit, but I can't find that information there any more, so I assumed it might have changed.  Thanks!
#11 Posted by JasonR86 (9763 posts) -

All of them.

#12 Posted by HadesTimes (826 posts) -

On my XBOX 360 there are 2 USB ports that acknowledge drives so, that means that you can use up to 2 USB drives totally 16 GB. Unless they have changed the cap since this feature was introduced.

#13 Posted by bobafettjm (1560 posts) -

I thought I remembered something about a limit of two of them as well.

#14 Posted by Branthog (5595 posts) -

USB allows for 127 connected devices, but the 360 would not likely support that many of them (depending on what type of device, since there are power limitations).

#15 Posted by alternate (2719 posts) -

yup, 2, up to 16gb each

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.