Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

how to fix E71 error

jhantu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Guys,

I turned on my XBOX 360 like after almost a year, and as expected, as soon as I turned it on, I got a pop-up for software update, and I promptly did it, but soon after my 360 turned on and I got a E71 error.

I tried the Towel trick, removed my HDD and restart, and I still continue to get the error. Can someone please help.

I am currently in India, and I bought my 360 from the US. When i spoketo MS customer service, they told they do not support international warranties and cannot fix my 360.

So I am left with no other option but to fix it myself.

Please let me know if any of you guys have faced a similar problem and have found a fix for it.

Thanks,

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By winsord

E71 should be a failed update, did you turn the console off or anything while it was updating? Lucky for you, the E71 error should actually be relatively easy to fix, though I hope you didn't damage your console physically by doing the towel trick (that's a "red ring" fix, a temporary aid for over-heating issues on the original white consoles when the X-clips would warp/melt/break, not an E code fix).

Give this a shot:

1. With the console off, press and hold the sync button on the console (the one you use to sync the controllers)
    2. While holding the sync button press the power button to turn on the console
    3. Continue to hold the sync button until the Console has booted up completely
    4. During the boot process the console should clear any failed updates

At that point when it connects to Live it should do the update again, which shouldn't fail this time.

jhantu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By jhantu

Thanks Winsord, i was able to fix the problem last night IST.

I basically decided to open up my 360. There was another problem, the moment I plugin my 360, the console was getting turned on, this was one of the problems, so when I removed the front plate of my 360, this stopped happening (seems like something was pressing up on the power On button), and I tried the same thing u mentioned (found it on another forum) and the issue is fixed now. My 360 is working fine now, with all the latest updates.

Thanks a lot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.