I just ordered my first Xbox 360.

• 65 results
#1 Posted by Murdouken (709 posts) -

Hey Giant Bomb.

The last console I owned was a Nintendo 64. Since then, I have been a PC gamer. Not because of some shitty overly inflated sense of being worth more than anyone else, it's just that I had a PC already and all of the upgrades individually have been cheaper than a whole console. However, I finally bought a current gen console in a preowned Xbox 360. It was £50, so I thought "why not?"

Now, I have no idea what games I want to play. The real reason I bought it is for Fable 2, so that's already on my thing. However, no idea what else I want. I already have played pretty much every major release this generation that has appeared on PC, so don't post stuff that has been on PC. Other than that, anything is fair game. Consoles or 360 exclusives.

Go!

#2 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

The gears of war series comes to mind.

#3 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

If the last console you owned was the N64, consider picking up the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection. There's some great games packed in there that you probably missed.

#4 Posted by Sbaitso (563 posts) -

Well...what kind of games do you like? Yes, let's start there. You said anything is game, but some kind of base interest is easier to work off of.

#5 Posted by Jolt92 (1587 posts) -

Hope you have fun with Fable 2. I'd recommend Gears, Halo and Viva Piñata.

#6 Posted by FavoritoBandito (167 posts) -

The Gears of War games are great, as are the Halo games. I would also recommend Banjo Nuts and Bolts.

#7 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

I second the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, 3 great games in a single package.

#8 Posted by Murdouken (709 posts) -

@Still_I_Cry: I played Gears of War 1 on PC. Are the sequels any better? I wasn't really captivated by the story.

@Sbaitso: I'd rather not play shooters as when I have played shooters in the past with a gamepad I've been absolutely awful to the point of not having much fun. Anything else is fair game.

Metal Gear Collection looks kind of neat. Guess I'll pick that up.

#9 Posted by OldGuy (1575 posts) -
#10 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

@Murdouken: Gears of War 2 was fun, gameplay wise at least. Gears of War 3 changes all of the weapon specs (meaning shotguns are not as powerful etc) and the online play (not really much wall bouncing areas available). Maybe try out Fable III, I enjoyed it quite a bit in spite of the hate it got. Kane & Lynch 1&2 are also quite fun (though they have short campaigns). Alice Madness Returns is one of my favorite games for the 360 (although the campaign itself runs a bit overlong). Ninja Gaiden 2 was fun as well.

#11 Edited by hughesman (312 posts) -

Forza, Red Dead Redemption?

#12 Posted by Winternet (8060 posts) -

There's really nothing. Sorry.

#13 Posted by Murdouken (709 posts) -

@OldGuy: YES. I WAS TRYING TO REMEMBER WHAT THIS WAS CALLED. THANK YOU.

@hughesman: Totally forgot about RDR too. Cheers.

@Still_I_Cry: Fable 3, Kane & Lynch games and Alice are all on PC and I've played and loved them :p

#14 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

@Murdouken said:

@OldGuy: YES. I WAS TRYING TO REMEMBER WHAT THIS WAS CALLED. THANK YOU.

@hughesman: Totally forgot about RDR too. Cheers.

@Still_I_Cry: Fable 3, Kane & Lynch games and Alice are all on PC and I've played and loved them :p

I got nothin'.

#15 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

Dude, just gonna say right off the bat, buying a pre-owned 360 takes BALLS. I pray that thing doesn't break down on you.

Now down to business, go buy Dark Souls.

#16 Posted by Soapy86 (2623 posts) -

Dark Souls (although this is most likely coming to PC soon-ish)

Red Dead Redemption

Deadly Premonition

I guess Halo: Reach?

Sorry, it's hard to think of a lot good exclusives on Xbox, because there aren't many.

#17 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

It's fun to buy technology at the end of it's lifespan.

#18 Posted by Hosstile17 (769 posts) -

Gears, Halo, Forza, Alan Wake, Castle Crashers, Shadow Complex, and Fable II all leap to mind first.

The Gears franchise is a story that started kind of middling, but the game looked great. The franchise took a step in the right direction with 2 and got amazing with 3. I love how the trilogy ended.

#19 Posted by Humanity (10145 posts) -

@Winternet said:

Not a single console game that didn't come to the PC in the past 5 or so years? Not one worthy game he could check out? Damn, I didn't know it was that bad..literally dozens of games each year and not a single title worth checking out.

#20 Posted by Murdouken (709 posts) -

@ShadowSkill11: It kind of is. I get to binge on a mass of games that I've never had access to before without having to wait for releases or whatever.

@Hosstile17: Castle Crashers and Shadow Complex were two others I was trying to think of. Thanks!

#21 Posted by Winternet (8060 posts) -

@Humanity said:

@Winternet said:

Not a single console game that didn't come to the PC in the past 5 or so years? Not one worthy game he could check out? Damn, I didn't know it was that bad..literally dozens of games each year and not a single title worth checking out.

yeah. Consoles suck. You're totally right.

#22 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1868 posts) -

Mass Effect 1 is a (console) exclusive, it's probably $10. I've also enjoyed the Halo series, and Forza Motorsport is some of the best video game racing around.

#23 Posted by Humanity (10145 posts) -

@Winternet said:

@Humanity said:

@Winternet said:

yeah. Consoles suck. You're totally right.

Oh ok I thought you were being serious for a second instead of just blatantly trolling and theres a difference so phew dodged a bullet.

#24 Edited by mhadick (6 posts) -

Halo series, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, and Red Dead Redemption.

Hmm. Slight list, but it's surprising how many of the "premier" titles in the 360's library are available for PC.

@UnsolvedParadox said:

Mass Effect 1 is a (console) exclusive, it's probably $10. I've also enjoyed the Halo series, and Forza Motorsport is some of the best video game racing around.

Not exclusive, actually. Was originally console exclusive, but eventually ported to the PC.

#25 Posted by supamon (1334 posts) -

I'm going to list what I can think of that isn't on the PC:

Shadows of the damned

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Brutal Legend

Nier

#26 Posted by Str8_2_Alticity (13 posts) -

If you like action games I'd recommend Bayonetta. The best version of it is the 360 one. You could probably snag that for 10-20 bucks.

#27 Posted by Zooey74 (53 posts) -

Pac Man Championship Edition DX So good.

#28 Edited by DocHaus (1378 posts) -

Ninja Gaiden 1 (Black, via XBL) and 2 I would highly recommend if you can take the pain of dying hundreds of times and still push forward (there was never a third game and anyone who says otherwise is a filthy liar).

#29 Posted by sarge1445 (677 posts) -

HALO ODST AND REACH

#30 Posted by Captain_Insano (1566 posts) -

How has no-one said

Viva MOTHERFUCKIN Pinata!!!!

#31 Posted by sarge1445 (677 posts) -

KAMEO

#32 Posted by Kidavenger (3629 posts) -

I would avoid console shooters, simply my opinion, but they are garbage compared to what you get on the PC, I just bought my 360 in the fall and I bought Halo Reach with it, hated it.

Forza 4 or even 3 is a must buy, you only need one or the other but I believe they along with the Gran Turismo series offer an experience that is not found on PC.

Other than Forza, nothing else has really justified the 360 to me yet.

#33 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption and Gears of War 3

#34 Posted by bighat_logan (182 posts) -

Make sure to get the charger for you controller.

#35 Posted by sarge1445 (677 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

I would avoid console shooters, simply my opinion, but they are garbage compared to what you get on the PC, I just bought my 360 in the fall and I bought Halo Reach with it, hated it.

Forza 4 or even 3 is a must buy, you only need one or the other but I believe they along with the Gran Turismo series offer an experience that is not found on PC.

Other than Forza, nothing else has really justified the 360 to me yet.

what about reach didnt you enjoy because that games multiplayer had me addicted

#36 Edited by Kidavenger (3629 posts) -

@sarge1445: I honestly didn't give it a very good shot, but operating a shooter with a controller drove me batty, especially after years of being used to the mouse/keyboard combo.

I'm currently working my way through Mass Effect 3 on the 360 and it's a real chore and I find myself wishing I had :shudder: bought it on Origin.

#37 Posted by skyline7284 (508 posts) -

@Captain_Insano said:

How has no-one said

Viva MOTHERFUCKIN Pinata!!!!

This.

Oh and Pac-Man CE:DX

#38 Posted by IkariNoTekken (987 posts) -

The Condemned series.

The first did actually come out on PC but its available for 360 too (if you haven't played it you should) and the sequel was a console exclusive.

Both are insane games and they have an absolutely overwhelming sense of atmosphere at times. I love 'em.

-

Come on, there are heads that need to be cracked with a crowbar... what are you waiting for?

#39 Posted by Str8_2_Alticity (13 posts) -

Glancing over my list of games played here's a few other suggestions.

• Halo Wars - Fun RTS but definitely dumbed down compared to a PC RTS
  • Mortal Kombat - Probably has the most content for a fighting game
  • Vanquish
  • Child of Eden - Fun game as long as you use a controller and not Kinect
  • Splosion Man & Ms. Splosion Man - These are my favorite arcade titles
  • Tales of Vesperia - The last JRPG I played that I actually enjoyed and finished
  • Resident Evil 4 - One of my favorite games ever made
#40 Posted by Bobstar (322 posts) -

'splosion man

Gears series

Enslaved

Alan Wake

Halo series

#41 Posted by Kidavenger (3629 posts) -

A game that I intend to get based on the bombcast from the last two weeks is Asura's Wrath which I doubt will ever come to pc.

#42 Posted by supamon (1334 posts) -

@Kidavenger: Trust me, I think hardly any normal person is able to play like a boss the moment they start playing with a controller. It takes practice and Halo is a good series to practice with.

#43 Edited by efman (212 posts) -

It's funny how few games there are to point to this long into the lifecycle of the console as alot of the games the were exclusives out the gate have eventually turned up on other platforms, including the PC in this case. The cream of the cop is most likely nowadays found on XBLA and even they have started to trickle to the PC -- the Limbos and the Braids of the world. Don't know how you played your games on the PC (the much-vaunted way of hooking it up to the big screen via HDMI) but some experiences just translate better to the big screen with a controller in your hands. Assuming you didn't blow it up to your TV, I'd point you to Bastion, if you already haven't played it. It's safe to assume that just about anyone on Giant Bomb loves this game, from its very showcase as conception to execution. Having a really hard time thinking of exclusives that haven't already been mentioned, but I really enjoyed Gears 3. It's just a solid action game with fine-tuned shooting mechanics that has alot of propulsive punch packed into it, and, as has been noted, a fine coda to the series as a whole. I haven't played the Condemend games, but I've been hearing alot of great things about those games around the boards as of late, so maybe consider taking a look at those. Someone on here have probably a thing or two to say about Condemened, given my ignorance.

#44 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

Should have went for a PS3 if you just got it for the non-PC games that come out as it has the most. The 360 really only has Fable and the Halo games. As someone who has PC as his primary I only touch my consoles for the exclusives as well. Taking a quick look over my list of games these are the only ones that come to mind as console exclusives that are on 360 are:

Other then ones already listed those are the only ones I can think off the top of my head. Would have a crap ton more, but they are all PS3/Wii exclusive. The 360 really is the weakest of all the platforms for exclusives. It's basically just a multiplatform box.

#45 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3251 posts) -

Don't wanna be that guy, but Halo is pretty boss.

#46 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

@Bobstar: Alan Wake is on PC now.

#47 Posted by SuperSambo (2887 posts) -

You really need to pick up Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts.

It is so cheap now, and is far and away the best gaming experience I have had on the 360!

#48 Posted by SamFo (1562 posts) -

rock band 3 is cheap

#49 Posted by PillClinton (3297 posts) -

@Str8_2_Alticity said:

If you like action games I'd recommend Bayonetta. The best version of it is the 360 one. You could probably snag that for 10-20 bucks.

This and Vanquish, definitely. Cut your teeth on some Platinum Games games.

Also, I second the Shadow Complex recommendation. Great little downloadable 3D 2D Metroid-esque action sidescroller. Certainly one of the very best download-only games on the 360.

#50 Posted by Levius (1231 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.