I randomly got 10,000 MS points deposited and Fifa Achievements?

• 67 results
#51 Posted by brownsfantb (389 posts) -

Good thing I don't have a current credit card on Xbox Live right now. I hope they do try and steal mine, joke would be on them.

#52 Edited by rickkybobby (4 posts) -

well i guess i will see if the random generated letters and number s is better.. the password that was hacked was just a couple regular words and a number.. only time will tell i guess.. ohh and from now on i will use credit cards instead of PayPal or any thing linked directly to my bank account.. with credit cards, its there money and not right out of your bank account.. you have more protection using a credit card, even though i hate using them but i think that is the safest way to go

#53 Posted by SuperSambo (2853 posts) -

@Chavtheworld: Seems a bit overly cautious... As long as you aren't stupid with your passwords you should be fine.

#54 Posted by cadwr (50 posts) -

@rickybobby Happened to me this morning as well at roughly the same time, but I was asleep. They got 10,000 points and an Xbox Live Gold family pack, and then did the FIFA thing and played some MW3. I was asleep for all of it and by the time I woke up my password was changed. Microsoft support was very nice though and the ball is rolling on the investigation/recovery, and they said the money will get refunded. The worst parts of it are that I won't be able to do Xbox Live gaming during my winter break, and that the money they stole was money I was going to donate to the Prevent Cancer Foundation through Speed Demos Archive's charity marathon that starts tomorrow.

At first I thought they got access by getting access to my email, but I checked Gmail's IP log and no one else accessed my account. At this point I'm guessing it was a keylogger or something of that sort, but this is also a 3 week old laptop and I haven't installed/downloaded much, and definitely nothing suspect.

Not a great start to the new year, but plenty of other people have it worse.

#55 Edited by rickkybobby (4 posts) -

@ cadwr sorry to hear that man.. i hope it works out for you.. and both Microsoft and PayPal where pretty good about it so far when i contacted them. i explained to them that i removed all credit card/PayPal info from my system and they didn't lock my system for the investigation because i removed all credit info... so if i wanted to i could get a prepaid card and use that if i really wanted to.. i still dont know how the hacker got the info.. i haven't used my Xbox in at least 6 months and i never type passwords in my computer manually..my passwords are always auto filled by last-pass, so im am never typing them..im going to dig further to see what else i can find....ohh and by the way i dont even own any soccer games at all.. FIFA.. Nothing.. also the email account the hacker added to my live account was from china somewhere.. ive found that out so far

#56 Edited by Hailinel (23885 posts) -

@I_smell said:

@rickkybobby said:

im an above average computer person.. i build them, work on them etc. i know my way around.. i use Mozilla Firefox and have Norton anti virus running all the time. i dont open stupid emails at all.. i use last Pass password generator for all my passwords.. but what i found out was the password i had for my Xbox live was weak and not thru last pass i just forgot that one for some reason ..

Hey, here's a thing I saw the other day- I don't know how password hacking works, but is it true that using a group of regular words is more secure than using a bunch of crazy symbols?

It is, in that there are more characters that need to be taken into account. It's not the simplicity of the word, but the number of characters. A password with over twenty lowercase characters will be more difficult to crack than something like Tr0ub4dor&3 because there are more characters involved and it follows a commonly used password pattern. In computer terms, it takes the same amount of effort to guess a character whether it's a lowercase letter or an ampersand. So in a way, yes, a string of four completely random words is more secure than a single word with gibberish spelling.

#57 Posted by ptc (615 posts) -

Just checked in on xbox.com.  I have one credit card connected to my account (I still have the card, but there is an old expiration date in there).  I'd like to delete it just to be on the safe side, but It won't let me.  Anyone else have this issue or know how to resolve it?

#58 Posted by rickkybobby (4 posts) -

i deleted my info right from my xbox itself.. not online. turn on your xbox and do it from there.. give that a try

#59 Posted by ki11tank (676 posts) -

my shit just got hacked as well, spend 4000 points and bought another 4000 with my CC, I had two cards on there one old and expired and my good one. deleted my good one and the old one won't work so that's good. guess I'll have to hope MS and my CC company will refund and cancel purchases.

it was also with the fifa bullshit,a nd my password had words and numbers, man this blows.

#60 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

@rickkybobby: That sucks, I have a hotmail account and it got used for spam by some people. Luckily I had no contacts on my hotmail and Microsoft got it resolved as quickly as possible, sorry about your problems.

#61 Edited by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

Just removed my credit card from xbox live. They took 80$ from me in October and Microsoft hasn't refunded me a single dime. It seems that more people are getting hacked every day so I think its best if I just use prepaid cards for awhile. Seriously, this whole FIFA business is getting ridiculous.

#62 Posted by DarkGamerOO7 (574 posts) -

To increase the security of your Xbox Live Account you should enable a pass code. A pass code requires you to enter four key presses of your choosing (RT,LT,RB,RB,Up, Down, Left, Right, A,B,Y,X may be used) before you can log in to your account. This means that even if someone obtains your Xbox Live Account they cannot log in or recover your account on their Xbox 360. True they can still purchase items or changing your password from Xbox.com, but at the very least the pass code could help get your account back if it stolen.

#63 Posted by mscupcakes (612 posts) -

Similar thing happened to me, except they spent 2560 of my points on Call of Duty 4, luckily the credit card I had on my account was out of date and I had been using points cards to top up. I contacted XBL support and they've locked my account while they're investigating what happened. I was told my points will be refunded and they sent me a code for a free month of live so I can use that once I get my account back (I'm hoping it wont take a month). I did notice that my facebook account had been accessed by someone in California the night before, I changed my facebook password and thought my xbox account would be safe since my password was different but I guess they found a way through the xbox app on facebook or something. Anyway I've changed my passwords for everything (steam,XBL,Facebook, etc..) a couple of times just to be safe. Wasn't exactly the best way to kick off the new year.

#64 Posted by C0V3RT (1351 posts) -

@ptc said:

Just checked in on xbox.com. I have one credit card connected to my account (I still have the card, but there is an old expiration date in there). I'd like to delete it just to be on the safe side, but It won't let me. Anyone else have this issue or know how to resolve it?

I had this problem and had to call into phone support to have it removed. What they ended up having to do was delete the remaining time I had left on my year subscription, remove the card, then email me subscription codes for the 6 months I had left. Oddly enough after I changed my Windows Live ID associated with my gamertag, I added my credit card back onto the account and was able to remove it on xbox.com the next day without problem.

#65 Posted by minotaka (320 posts) -

That sucks :((( I hope you've recovered from it all now!

#66 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

Just got hacked, looks like they bought madden stuff. Seems to be happening a lot,support handled it in 20 mins

#67 Posted by Tomkang (251 posts) -

If you didn't have the UFC fight, this would be a more positive hack. Phone MS and they'll lock your account and refund the money. On the plus side you will get free points and keep everything that was bought with the points.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.