I think it's time the XBOX 360 had a RAM upgrade.

#1 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

Just like the olden days. It could be a big old plastic cartridge the plugs into where the hard drive goes, and then the Hard drive could plug into it. Or it could be USB perhaps? The 360's achilles heel at this point is its lack of RAM. Same goes for all consoles, they don't have enough RAM. Imagine the possibilities with extra RAM!!!

On another related note, they should add Portable Hard drive support, so I can save games and profiles to a portable USB hard drive.

#2 Posted by epic_pets (1339 posts) -

It doesnt need one.Microsoft wont spend the money

#3 Edited by FuNkYbOsS (26 posts) -

A 360 ram upgrade would bring way too much confusion.  You couldn't play some games without the extra ram and some gamers would feel forced into buying the extra ram in order to play new games.  It would be cool for the hardcore gamers but think of all the parents buying games for their kids only to find the games wont work without more ram.  It was a bad idea for the N64 and it would be a bad idea for the 360.  

#4 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

That wasn't a problem for the N64 or the Sega Genesis.

#5 Posted by x3ar (236 posts) -

wtf the 360 doesnt need a ram upgrade. It needs to fix dashboard speed thats all

#6 Posted by Kazona (3055 posts) -

Would some extra RAM be nice, and should they perhaps have put more in from the start? Why yes, I think so. But as for there being a real need for it, or it even being smart for MS to release something like that now? No, I doubt that would be a good idea. I see far too many potential problems that could arise from it.

#8 Posted by MAV3R1CK (125 posts) -

It'll bring lots of confusion to people who don't know how to do those kind of stuff.

#9 Posted by Nobility (295 posts) -

It already has enough and I believe it has more then the PS3.  There was an old story before launch how Microsoft made a trade off for HD standard and went for more memory instead.  Memory concerns are the least of their problems right now.

#10 Posted by Riddler (1528 posts) -

it alresdy has more than the ps3.......

go tell sony to do it first

#11 Posted by AtomicEdge (290 posts) -

RAM really isn't an important component of game consoles because of the way they work. There is more RAM in the 360 than it will realistically use so there is no need for an upgrade at all.

#12 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -
FuNkYbOsS said:
"A 360 ram upgrade would bring way too much confusion.  You couldn't play some games without the extra ram and some gamers would feel forced into buying the extra ram in order to play new games.  It would be cool for the hardcore gamers but think of all the parents buying games for their kids only to find the games wont work without more ram.  It was a bad idea for the N64 and it would be a bad idea for the 360.  
"
Right, it would just mess many things up and make people very confused, like FuNkbOsS said.
#13 Posted by Jonathan (654 posts) -

Seeing as how the Xbox 360 has more RAM than the PS3, it isn't a problem.

#14 Posted by banksrob (1126 posts) -

portable hard drive support for a USB hard drive will never happen, it would encourage people to get "free" achievements and such by downloading profiles that are not theres.

#15 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -

More Ram? No. It doesn't need it at all.

#16 Posted by Vytorious (99 posts) -

I think they should improve build quality. I want to replace the fans with higher quality, quieter models, but apparently you still get banned from Xbox Live for doing that.

#17 Posted by Vlademir (1029 posts) -

The 360's RAM is fine. Besides, after the Sega Genesis... no console should ever have attachments.

#18 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -
Vlademir said:
"The 360's RAM is fine. Besides, after the Sega Genesis... no console should ever have attachments.
"
This ^
#19 Posted by JoelTGM (5592 posts) -
AtomicEdge said:
"RAM really isn't an important component of game consoles because of the way they work. There is more RAM in the 360 than it will realistically use so there is no need for an upgrade at all.
"
Why does my dashboard lag sometimes then?  I thought it had to do with ram.  Sorry I don't know much about how the 360 works.
#20 Posted by Carlos (504 posts) -

Its fine as it is

#21 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -
DOUBLESHOCK said:
"AtomicEdge said:
"RAM really isn't an important component of game consoles because of the way they work. There is more RAM in the 360 than it will realistically use so there is no need for an upgrade at all.
"
Why does my dashboard lag sometimes then?  I thought it had to do with ram.  Sorry I don't know much about how the 360 works.
"
That would be the dashboard itself. You think yours is bad? Try using the launch dash lol, it was very slow.
#22 Posted by Pitta (179 posts) -

wont be an issuie this fall.... the whole dashbord interface gets its overhaul.... I cant wait...

and the only reason the 360 has the 512mb or ram it has now was because of Epic and Gears of War... games do puch the RAM, but its what you do with it, not how much you have....

#23 Posted by GiantBomber (345 posts) -

uh WHAT?? That's just crazy talk.

#24 Posted by Absinthetic (172 posts) -
keyhunter said:
"Imagine the possibilities with extra RAM!!!

"
there wont be very many because devs are still going to develop for the lowest common denominator which is a game that can run without a hardrive and 512mb of ram
#25 Posted by Wolverine (4269 posts) -

I doubt this will happen, Microsoft will just come out with a new console.

#26 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -

It just wont happen. Close thread

#27 Posted by unclejohnny79 (685 posts) -

na developers should try hard with what the have to work with

#28 Posted by TheKreep (32 posts) -

Let's take this discussion back a few steps:
What would be the major benefits of a RAM upgrade, and how much do you REALLY want or need it?

#29 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -

1. No benefits, because developers would still make the games compatible with standard ram based consoles.
2. Why pay for something you don't need

#30 Posted by TheKreep (32 posts) -

Yeah, that was my point.
If you try to verbally rationalise it, it doesn't make sense.

The best 360 games already look and sound fantastic, and (with some exceptions) load quickly enough to not be annoying.

#31 Posted by gamerpigeon (331 posts) -

it wud be cool , but it wont happen as lets face it it hasnt worked for any1 else , apart from the sega saturn maybe? ..... sega are still teezed bout the segaCD and 32X , we dont really need it tho as the Xbox 720 or whatever will eb announced at the end of the microsoft press conference at e3 next year , we'll just see a short vid on what it looks like or sumthin and that will be it i imagine

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.