IllumiRoom Kinect

#1 Posted by cloudnineboya (696 posts) -

this is concept for kinect, looks really cool especially the particle effects, like the gun muzzle spreading onto the wall and the snow .

its all supposed to be in real time not a demo, it uses a kinect plus a projector too achieve the results.

i would seriously think off getting this if it ever comes out

#2 Posted by Bollard (5031 posts) -

When the whole environment was on the wall I found it reaaally hard to even see what was going on in the game. Maybe it was just how the trailer was cut and it would be okay in real life I don't know. Also, why does this need a Kinect?

#3 Posted by big_jon (5660 posts) -

That is cool in concept.

#4 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

It has to be a mini projector, that they are selling themselves, right? I cannot imagine they are expecting people to go ahead and use their 80" projectors to display dumb muzzle flashes and other effects instead of using the projectors for the games.

If that is the case then I'm pretty sure Microsoft have nobody with brains working there.

This brings a new meaning to 1% of people using this. More like 0.01%

#5 Posted by Grilledcheez (3919 posts) -

Yeah I saw this, their research department is always doing cool things, but it doesn't seem like most of it gets used for much at this point.

#6 Posted by Branthog (7332 posts) -

This would annoy the fuck out of me.

#7 Posted by _Chad (957 posts) -

Great it puts stuff on the walls, I'm still only going to look at the TV.

#8 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

That's pretty cool on it's own. You don't have to link it to a game for it to be neato.

#9 Posted by manicraider (85 posts) -

@Chavtheworld said:

When the whole environment was on the wall I found it reaaally hard to even see what was going on in the game. Maybe it was just how the trailer was cut and it would be okay in real life I don't know. Also, why does this need a Kinect?

So it can scan and project images on your wall. The Xbox cannot do that by itself.

#10 Posted by Andorski (5114 posts) -

I don't see this going past the concept phase. People aren't going to set up a projector in their living room just to have these peripheral effects.

@manicraider said:

@Chavtheworld said:

So it can scan and project images on your wall. The Xbox cannot do that by itself.

The lights project on the wall behind the TV. How does Kinect get a view of that?

#11 Posted by Damodar (1158 posts) -

@Branthog said:

This would annoy the fuck out of me.

Yeah, it looks crazy distracting. When you're watching something on a screen, you block out everything else anyway. All this extra visual information flashing in your periphery would be terrible. Plus console framerates are bad enough, they don't need extra stuff to render.

#12 Posted by EXTomar (4131 posts) -

Microsoft R&D labs are the king of vaporware. I'll believe this when they actually sell it.

#13 Posted by Bollard (5031 posts) -

@Andorski said:

I don't see this going past the concept phase. People aren't going to set up a projector in their living room just to have these peripheral effects.

@manicraider said:

@Chavtheworld said:

The lights project on the wall behind the TV. How does Kinect get a view of that?

This.

#14 Posted by manicraider (85 posts) -

@Chavtheworld said:

@Andorski said:

@manicraider said:

@Chavtheworld said:

This.

From what I've read in various articles, it involves a Kinect for Windows camera and a projector.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.