I'm sure you've all had it too...

#1 Posted by BreatheEasy (144 posts) -

Hey guys, haven't posted on here in AGES considering I was a first day GiantBomb joiner.

Ok so I recently got the RROD while playing COD:WAW :( I sent my poor xbox off a week ago exactly, and yesterday on the repair centre on xbox.com, it says my console is on its way back from Germany. So I was just wondering, for anyone with past experience, at this stage, how long does it take to arrive at my door?

PS. Fallout 3 for xmas should put my new xbox under some strain too, I'll probably get the RROD again...

Cheers in advance guys.

#2 Posted by albedos_shadow (1485 posts) -

I just got mine back from repair, it took about 3 weeks from the day I sent it out.

#3 Posted by TekZero (2672 posts) -

I have no clue... But how did you get the RROD?  I've had my 360 for nearly 3 years now with no RROD.  I kinda want it to happen now...before the warranty expires.

#4 Posted by albedos_shadow (1485 posts) -

Mine didn't actually red ring, it had some sort of weird video output problem.

#5 Posted by BreatheEasy (144 posts) -

I was playing right, and I hear a buzz noise, screen freezes. I ring my mate and he said I 'timed out', so the hardware fucked up really. I turn it back on and it flashes red rings in my face :(

#6 Posted by albedos_shadow (1485 posts) -

I just know mine is going to die like 4 months from now.

#7 Posted by BreatheEasy (144 posts) -
addictedtopinescent said:
"mine never came back. "
Really, what did you do about it? I'd be furious.
#8 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

Oh, I thought this thread was gonna be about STDs

#9 Posted by albedos_shadow (1485 posts) -
TeflonBilly said:
"Oh, I thought this thread was gonna be about STDs"
Who says it's not about STDs?
#10 Posted by TekZero (2672 posts) -

RROD is only slightly more painfull when it's applied to your crotch.

#11 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

The last time I sent mine in it took about an week and a half total...from the day I sent it to them, to the day I got it back.

#12 Posted by Cloneslayer (1626 posts) -

One time it took about  weeks, another time I sent it in it was a week. Depends on where you live and how lucky you are.

#13 Edited by Mats (130 posts) -

I got weird graphic issues while playing c&c and one day it just crashed. When i turned it of and on again i got that fancy RROD. Sent it in and got a new one. No problems since. Took a couple of weeks until i had the new one.

#14 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Today, I gotta call Microsoft to have them send my 2nd 360 coffin. :(

#15 Edited by Gameboi (653 posts) -

I was one of the people who waited in line at the midnight launch to get my hands on the Xbox 360. I've also had to send back two of them for repair. Yes, I feel your pain.

#16 Posted by Muze (183 posts) -

When my console failed about a year ago, I got it back in less than 2 weeks. But, I think that was because the repair center I shipped it to isn't too far away.

#17 Posted by EvilPirateJohn (30 posts) -

Mine took 10 days from when I sent out the box.  So did my friends.  However, I've heard some stories from others' systems that took much longer.

#18 Posted by BreatheEasy (144 posts) -

In consolation, least I SHOULD get it for xmas. I can't imagine getting the RROD only days before xmas.

#19 Posted by EvilPirateJohn (30 posts) -
BreatheEasy said:
"In consolation, least I SHOULD get it for xmas. I can't imagine getting the RROD only days before xmas."

The sad thing is that it will happen to a lot of people.
#20 Posted by Dr_shiggityshwa (72 posts) -

Mine died a couple weeks ago and sent it out on the 17th of November. The repair was complete on the 22nd and was shipped on the 23rd. I just got it back today (I would have been back here the week of the 23rd but the holiday messed everything up). So it took about 3 weeks for me but would have been around two without the holiday. 

#21 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -

My brother's 360 has been fine since 2006.

I've heard it usually takes 2-3 weeks. Sometimes shorter.

#22 Posted by Kazona (3064 posts) -

I haven't had my 360 RROD yet thankfully

#23 Posted by LtColJaxson (1137 posts) -
EvilPirateJohn said:
"BreatheEasy said:
"In consolation, least I SHOULD get it for xmas. I can't imagine getting the RROD only days before xmas."

The sad thing is that it will happen to a lot of people."

Right when they pop in that new game they got for Christmas... then crying will be heard as the room glows an eerie red - "NOOOOOOOO!!!"
#24 Posted by BreatheEasy (144 posts) -

UPDATE: got it back last friday. Only took about a week in total.

#25 Posted by SSbabel (1141 posts) -

I remember when mine got fixed it was back and repaired within a week of me sending it off.

#26 Posted by DoctorTran (1555 posts) -

Same thing happened to me last night... Kind of glad it happened actually.

#27 Posted by Player1 (3861 posts) -

Word of advice, maybe download fallout 3 to your HD. If you have room that is. It takes alot of strain off your console.

#28 Posted by CreamyGoodness (1086 posts) -

mine took less then a week to get a new one from the time it broke to when i got it back

#29 Edited by Bulldog19892 (1795 posts) -
TekZero said:
"I have no clue... But how did you get the RROD?  I've had my 360 for nearly 3 years now with no RROD.  I kinda want it to happen now...before the warranty expires."
Wrap it in a towel. Should RROD. Send it in to Microsoft, and they'll give you a new one, so you'll be good for another year or so.

Someone needs to do something about this shit. The RROD has happened to almost every 360 ever sold, and the problem still persists a good three years after it's release. It's complete bullshit.
#30 Posted by DMack (70 posts) -
BreatheEasy said:
"UPDATE: got it back last friday. Only took about a week in total."
Mine went from British Columbia to Ontario (across Canada), and the whole ordeal took a little over a month. A week is a really good turnaround time!
#31 Posted by BlackWaterCO (1574 posts) -
#32 Edited by dsplayer1010 (2227 posts) -
albedos_shadow said:
"TeflonBilly said:
"Oh, I thought this thread was gonna be about STDs"
Who says it's not about STDs?"
Who's to say that the RROD isn't an STD?
#33 Posted by BreatheEasy (144 posts) -
Player1 said:
"Word of advice, maybe download fallout 3 to your HD. If you have room that is. It takes alot of strain off your console."
Yeah I had planned on doing this when I get the game at Christmas.
#34 Posted by BreatheEasy (144 posts) -
DMack said:
"BreatheEasy said:
"UPDATE: got it back last friday. Only took about a week in total."
Mine went from British Columbia to Ontario (across Canada), and the whole ordeal took a little over a month. A week is a really good turnaround time!"
Yeah I guess it's just luck really. Mine had to go to Germany from the UK so it wasn't that far really.
#35 Posted by DoctorTran (1555 posts) -

Well... Mines sitting in Spokane, WA right now... due to weather conditions being crap right now. It's been sitting there since Thursday. The scheduled pick up from Microsoft is now December 29th. It was originally the 24th.

#36 Posted by AndrewGaspar (2418 posts) -

God, reading this thread makes me glad I have a PS3.

Sending my console off for a month or so every couple years is not something I would find enjoyable. =P

#37 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -

My 360 went from NJ to Texas, took 17 days in total.

#38 Edited by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

when they told me i had to wait up to a month before i could play it again (this was a week after purchasing it) when i got RROD, i sold it and bought a PS3. I guess I'm different from most people, i can't put up with a shitty product. My brother owns the 360 now, and has gotten RROD again. Ridiculous. 

The only reason the failure rate remains about 33% is because they constantly sell new 360's everyday. They all get it sooner or later. 
#39 Posted by DoctorTran (1555 posts) -

Well I own a 360, PS3, and a Wii... I could care less if one breaks down. I have two others to pick up.

#40 Posted by Lieutenant (347 posts) -
TheGreatGuero said:
"Today, I gotta call Microsoft to have them send my 2nd 360 coffin. :("
Why call? Use xbox.com... it's amazingly painless compared to calling them
#41 Posted by shadowjak (456 posts) -

Sadly, it takes 3-6 weeks.

#42 Posted by Doonee63 (90 posts) -

Goddammit, you guys are scaring me. I just got a refurb premium (yeah premium, not pro)
How is this problem so widespread?

#43 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

Mine only took 3 weeks from shipping it out to it being back in my lounge room.

#44 Posted by wwedx (50 posts) -

i Never had RROD iv had it for just over a year now but iv herad halo 3 edtions dont get RROD but i rather it get that then the disk drive failing or sumthing

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.