Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

I'm thinking about getting a 360, but...

Avatar image for foofighters1998
    foofighters1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By foofighters1998

I'm not quite sure about it. I have played a lot of the games and they are fun, but I am not sure because of the hardware failure rate. I have heard some things about something in newer 360's that stops overheating, but i'm not sure if it's true. Can anyone tell me if the Red Rings thing is fixed, or reduced?

Max_Chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Max_Chill

the newer 360's have reduced the chance of getting red rings by alot, and you still get a free 3 year warranty if anything happens. The one i got on February is really quite compared to the launch 360s and it barely heats up either.

Get a 60 gig unit unless you have the money to get an elite
    Jigen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jigen

It's been slowly reduced over time, but I'll have to have my current 360 for another year before I'd say it's in any way fixed.

The launch 360's were HORRIBLE, mine died within months, but it always crashed all the time before that.

Personally I've had 3 360's die on me, once because of crashing, never got any error messages, once because the DVD drive died, wouldn't read any disks, and once because the GPU died, I think I got 2 sectors of red + an error message.  I never got a RROD.

Anyways, the upcoming Jasper motherboard will be taking the biggest attack against the 360's problems, it's going to make the GPU less prone to heat up.  It may be that Jasper boards will rarely die, I guess we'll see.  Supposedly they should start showing up in stores in Oct.

Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By Yit

Just get it, the warranty is good. You should get your box back in 2-3 weeks. It's really not that bad. Well worth it in my opinion.

HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By HazBazz

The chance of it Red Ringing are not removed, as any machinery ever made has the potential to overheat and break down. But apparently the new models are less prone to it.
    I've had my 360 for over a year and it hasn't broken yet.

Yoshi_trips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Yoshi_trips

Can you live with yourself without playing this game on November 7th? no? then get it. the newer 360's are ALOT more stable than the launch ones.

! ! ! !
    ! ! ! !

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Oni

3 year warranty = rather moot point anyway. Do it.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By Arkthemaniac

The hardware failure rate concerns me due to my fear that the new technology simply prolongs the console's failure, taking it out of the three-year warranty span.

Wouldn't that be a clever bitch? Anyways, conspiracies aside, I think it's worth it if you enjoy the games you've played. A lot of games have amazing longevity on the console.
    Jigen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jigen

The 3 year warranty covers RROD only (I think), so it'd be best to get an extended warranty from MS, a year or two, I've always been covered.

I also own a backup 360 for something to play in the downtime, last time my 360 broke it only took them a week to replace, but I was probably just lucky.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

When I bought mine, I decided the quality and quantity of the games outweighed the hardware failure rate. At the end of the day, you have the three year warranty so if it breaks you can get it fixed for free. It's a bit of an inconvenience being without it for a couple of weeks, but its not the end of the world and you won't regret it while you're playing the great games the system has.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Emilio

Get it, don't worry about it. Microsoft will fix it. THEY WILL FIX IT FOR FREE.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jakob187
    Max_Chill said:
    "the newer 360's have reduced the chance of getting red rings by alot, and you still get a free 3 year warranty if anything happens. The one i got on February is really quite compared to the launch 360s and it barely heats up either.

Get a 60 gig unit unless you have the money to get an elite
    "
    No they haven't.  We've had 5 red rings on 5 arcade system with the 65nm processors in them.  The only thing they really did was made you believe they reduced the problem.
    The reason is because the processors aren't the problem that overheats them.  It's the graphics processor, which they can't really do anything about changing it.  Therefore, they have to find other ways to reduce the heat in the box without making it bigger (which is what they should do to prevent the overheating.

In terms of game quality, I personally think the 360 exclusives are better than the PS3 exclusives so far, aside from Resistance and its amazing glory.  Then again, I'm not a big fan of MGS4, hated the human parts of Warhawk, and was unimpressed by Lair and Motorstorm for anything other than graphics.  That's all personal stuff, though.  You may dig those games for all I know.

Nonetheless, 360 is a system with great games available to it, but you just have to decide whether you want to invest the money in a console that might not even work when you get it.  
    Jigen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jigen
    jakob187 said:
    "No they haven't.  We've had 5 red rings on 5 arcade system with the 65nm processors in them.  The only thing they really did was made you believe they reduced the problem.
    The reason is because the processors aren't the problem that overheats them.  It's the graphics processor, which they can't really do anything about changing it.  Therefore, they have to find other ways to reduce the heat in the box without making it bigger (which is what they should do to prevent the overheating.

In terms of game quality, I personally think the 360 exclusives are better than the PS3 exclusives so far, aside from Resistance and its amazing glory.  Then again, I'm not a big fan of MGS4, hated the human parts of Warhawk, and was unimpressed by Lair and Motorstorm for anything other than graphics.  That's all personal stuff, though.  You may dig those games for all I know.

Nonetheless, 360 is a system with great games available to it, but you just have to decide whether you want to invest the money in a console that might not even work when you get it.  
    "
    1. They have generally increased reliability somewhat, they have increased heat sink quality & reduced the CPU heat, among other things.
    2. They are releasing cooler GPUs NOW.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.