Is 360 future proof?

#1 Edited by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -

Ive been wondering this recently. This is not intended as flame thread, its just a question i have. Do you think the 360s tech and Disc format can last till the end of the extended Life span? No doubt we all know by now that this generation is going to be longer than most. Do we think the 360 can continue to advance and outdo itself in taht Extended time? Is DVD 9 going to screw it over? did MS design it to really only last 5 years, adn not more without signs of Improvement to graphics? What are your thoughts. 

Personally, Im kidna doubting it. the tech seems like they had a 5 year life span in mind, not a 10 year or whatever this is going to be. DVD 9 is already showing its age, and to give SONY some credit, tehy did design the tech so it can continuely improve over alot of years. Im not saying there teh best because of that, im just stating a truth. 

Now, no dount some like TheHBK is going to come on here and call me a fanboy, but let me stop him right here and say that I can criticize something without being a fanboy. Its called having a opinon. Nothing more, nothing less.       And its not evena  Criticism, its jsut a discussion.

#2 Posted by natetodamax (19217 posts) -

I swear, you (369 posts) are all  Xbox 360 threads.

#3 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -
@natetodamax:

i like the syestem, and no, there not all 360 psots. I posted alot of times in General Gaming and the PS3 section, plus in the offtopic section. You can look at my Topic history if you like.
#4 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

You asked this exact question about the 360's DVD drive in the past, part of this thread.

I stand by what I said then : 

@Raven_Sword said:

" @Diamond: But there are some games (like Elderscrolls) where multidisc jsut cant work. what, are you going to switch discs whenever you want to go to the other half of the world? I really think its going to be a problem for MS in terms of Multipalform games in the future, since games are getting bigger and better. Plus, IW already said there isnt much more they can do with 360, and Ubisoft said the same for SC Conviction. This amkes me worry for the future of the platform if devs are already maxing it out and they still want to have the thing out for 5 more years. "

I don't think that sort of situation is going to come up much.  In the case of the soon coming Forza 3, sounds like you install the 2nd disk to the HDD so you can instantly play those tracks when you're playing the game with the 1st disk.  Fallout 3 doesn't even take up the whole DVD9.

Companies like IW and Ubisoft always use PR stuff, so people think they're getting 'the best that there'll ever be for system X'.  Naughty Dog was saying Uncharted 2 used 100% of the PS3's power for that matter, and that isn't true either.

Basically I think in extreme cases MS is going to have install disks on 360, like with Forza 3. 
#5 Posted by carlthenimrod (1597 posts) -

No console is "future proof".

#6 Posted by baconbits33 (1156 posts) -
@natetodamax: I love your avatar dude, that is the 2nd in line, behind Clint Eastwood. 

But anyways, as much as I love the xbox 360, I completely agree, when the Natal was announced I was pissed off, I hate the Wii with a passion, that's why I have an xbox 360. Plus I have noticed that game engines for the 360 have kinda stopped getting better.... So I'm very disappointed, will it last a couple more years? Yes it might go for 2 or 3 before people go: "God I need to buy a PS3...."
#7 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -

I just hope well continue to get better and better graphics through the years if another console isnt relased in that time.
#8 Posted by rjayb89 (7728 posts) -
@carlthenimrod said:
" No console is "future proof". "
QUOTED FOR EMPHASIS.
#9 Posted by Phonics (327 posts) -
@carlthenimrod said:
Nothing is future proof anymore
#10 Posted by PeasForFees (2411 posts) -
@rjayb89 said:
" @carlthenimrod said:
QUOTED FOR EMPHASIS. "
@Phonics said:
" @carlthenimrod said:
Nothing is future proof anymore "
Double quoted for emphasis, you stupid fanboy
#11 Posted by Bubahula (2197 posts) -
@rjayb89 said:
" @carlthenimrod said:
QUOTED FOR EMPHASIS. "

and again! 

also...spelling errors.
#12 Posted by kashif1 (1428 posts) -
@PeasForFees said:
" @rjayb89 said:
" @carlthenimrod said:
QUOTED FOR EMPHASIS. "
@Phonics said:
" @carlthenimrod said:
Double quoted for emphasis, you stupid fanboy "
these quotes are future proof
#13 Posted by PeasForFees (2411 posts) -
@kashif1 said:
" @PeasForFees said:
" @rjayb89 said:
" @carlthenimrod said:
QUOTED FOR EMPHASIS. "
@Phonics said:
" @carlthenimrod said:
these quotes are future proof "
Unlike this thread
#14 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4779 posts) -

Yeah you seem to think about and ask quite a few questions concerning the 360 and are flame bait in nature.
I mean i can count like atleast 3 by you and only you...

as for that what is future proof? there is no such thing, its a moniker a false concept nothing can be future proof when something gets a final spec its outdated upon release.

#15 Posted by noriegga (39 posts) -

The only future proof I can think of is space. Apparently you can replace the xbox and ps3 hard drives?

#16 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -
@WilliamRLBaker:

Nothing wrong with asking questions.
#17 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

Yeah, there are no stupid questions

Stupid people however...

#18 Posted by RipTheVeins (1546 posts) -
@Phonics said:
" @carlthenimrod said:
not even the future is future proof.
#19 Edited by WilliamRLBaker (4779 posts) -
@Raven_Sword said:

" @WilliamRLBaker: Nothing wrong with asking questions. "

except you conviently had a blue name before and are the only one that asks flame bait type questions...hmmm
*exclusively about the 360*
#20 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@kashif1 said:
" @PeasForFees said:
" @rjayb89 said:
" @carlthenimrod said:
QUOTED FOR EMPHASIS. "
@Phonics said:
" @carlthenimrod said:
these quotes are future proof "
this
#21 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -

wow you guys are mean .....

#22 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

yes, i think that the 360 is future proof to the next generation consoles. o well there is always more disc they can add to the game if it gets to big for one game to fit on. kind of like how last generation was, some ps2 games had like 3 disc to a game.

#23 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -

But since MS charges a ass load for Royaltys on multidiscs, I doubt Devs are going to opt for the extra discs if they need to. taht means well get a game on one disc that should have been on two or three, but since the Dev didnt want to apy the rediculous cost of more DVDs, than were going to get Quality compromised.
#24 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

My discussion is blue ray is slow, the drive is slower than a dvd drive you have to install data on the hardrive to stream it because it can't go from the blue ray disc to the gpu quickly enough. There is less texture streaming on the ps3, depending on the 256mb gpu to do everything since XDR ram is too slow for loading and installing will help with loading. 

Honestly both console architure has problems, ps3's drive is too slow where you would have to install date to stream, even though there is alot of storage. Dvds on the xbox360 is fast where texture streaming is easy, however it's starting to get too limited. Using multiple dvds is probally xbox360's only solution. There are problems on both consoles regardless.

to the next post, don't reply to me again indirectly, we made a deal for the sake of peace you let me say what I need to say and you don't reply to me at all. That post is a direct reply even if you didn't click on reply because word for word it replies to my post.

#25 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

The texture streaming on PS3 is not related to video RAM at all.  Bluray drives read at similar rates as DVD9, but I hear the seeking takes longer.  Depending on where the data is on a 360 DVD, the read rate can be up to twice as fast as a bluray, but developers can't count on that.  For what it's worth hard drives aren't that much faster than DVD / bluray read speeds, even on PC.  All modern games are bottlenecked by hard drive read rates.

The consoles don't really have many architecture problems, they're very efficient, say when compared to a gaming PC.  It's just that tech is several years old now and naturally better hardware exists today.

#26 Posted by calidan777 (853 posts) -

Well I would say that the 360 is all around more future proof than the PS3 because it has a superior GPU, more system bandwith and arguably better CPU. If we're talking strictly disc format then yeah, the PS3 has the 360 beat with Blu-ray vs DVD-9. Of course that's if we're just talkin' consoles, otherwise the PC is the only truly "future proof" gaming machine.

#27 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -
@calidan777:

umm, no, the PS3s CPU is light years better than 360s.
#28 Posted by Biggie (43 posts) -

The PS3 or 360 are not future proof, give the fact that neither console has the horse power to deliver 1080p gaming. This deficiency can mainly be chalked up to the fact that both system are limited by the 128bit memory interface on their respective GPUs. Meaning that they don't have the pixel pushing power to render complex 1080p scenes at a good FPS. Hence the large number of titles that are rendered at sub HD resolutions that are then scaled up. 

#29 Posted by ManlyBeast (1171 posts) -

We will see.

#30 Posted by MattyFTM (14424 posts) -

The 360 will easily last for the rest of this generation. Ultimately it is the games that make or break a console. If developers & publishers keep bringing out games on the 360, it will be fine. And the 360 has a very good size install base, so bringing out games on 360 makes financial sense for them. And DVD's aren't that limiting. Very few games come close to hitting the size limit of DVD's.

#31 Edited by mhkjtha (429 posts) -

i doubt the dvd9 format will go out of date during this hardware generation.

@MattyFTM actually most games pretty much max out the size limit of a dvd.

#32 Posted by Wolverine (4282 posts) -
@Raven_Sword: I don't think DVD 9 holds the Xbox 360 back much. The graphics don't have to increase much to offer a new experience on a console, Natal is an example of that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.