Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Is it just me, or did I just have the best idea ever?

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Shadow

Watching the Endurence Run got me thinking.  If I were to play Persona 4, I wouldn't enjoy it NEARLY as much as I'm enjoying just watching Jeff and Vinny, just because the commentary amplifies anything even remotely funny in the game itself.  That made me realize:  Xbox Live should have a feature that lets anyone in your chat party have streaming to their system, everything you're doing on yours.  So you can perfectly emulate the classic feeling of a group of people sitting in a room, watching someone play a single player game.  I don't know about you, but I remember some good times just sitting with a group of my friends, watching someone play Super Mario RPG while we all commented on what was happening.  Past that though, you no longer have to go at lengths to describe to someone who has never played it, how cool the game you're playing is.  And since they're not playing themselves, it's not like any of the game's publishers are missing out on sales they would have gotten from the other people in the party just watching it.  In fact, if anything, it would boost sales of the more obscure games that the other people watching maybe haven't even heard of.  This sounds like it would be a win, win, win situation for everyone involved.  Am I the only one who thinks this needs to happen?

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Hexpane

The XBL servers would explode if they tried to implement this.  NIce idea tho I personally am not into MST3K for games, I can see where a lot of people would enjoy it., just like MST3K had a lot of fans.

Somehow I predict it would devolve into a lot of racist trash talk, or Soulja Boi telling you about his expensive shirts.

bekern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bekern

IDK how much people would want to do that when they have their own 360s to play right in front of them. Maybe if it was a bit more interactive, like if people were able to point things out to you or something? Kind of along the line of how in Mario Galaxy when a second player could have a cursor, but they really couldn't do much.
    It might be kind of cool though if strangers would join in just to check some games out. Or knowing how people are over XBL it might be horrible lol.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Shadow
    Hexpane said:
    "The XBL servers would explode if they tried to implement this.  NIce idea tho I personally am not into MST3K for games, I can see where a lot of people would enjoy it., just like MST3K had a lot of fans.

Somehow I predict it would devolve into a lot of racist trash talk, or Soulja Boi telling you about his expensive shirts.
    "

hey if you want to invite racist, trash talking people into your party, that's your call entirely.
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hexpane
    Shadow said:
    "Hexpane said:
    "The XBL servers would explode if they tried to implement this.  NIce idea tho I personally am not into MST3K for games, I can see where a lot of people would enjoy it., just like MST3K had a lot of fans.

"

hey if you want to invite racist, trash talking people into your party, that's your call entirely."
    I certainly don't but I can't seem to avoid them online... even on GB sadly :( although I think Youtube has a higher % of racists than XBL these days.  IDK what the deal is but somehow you can't show butt crack on youtube w/o getting the video taken down, but death threats from KKK members seems ok by them.
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Whisperkill

Heh, I recently went through story mode in SSBB with my friend and another friend did commentary the whole time, it was hilarious.

But i dont think it would work, technically speaking
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Shadow
    Whisperkill said:
    "Heh, I recently went through story mode in SSBB with my friend and another friend did commentary the whole time, it was hilarious.

"

Why?  You already have the party aspect in XBL.  It would take some coding on Microsoft's part, but live streaming video isn't exactly a new and unexplored medium.  Naturally, it's not like you would be playing another game while watching someone else play theirs, and so your system will be working about as hard as it would running the game in the first place.  So why would this be hard to do?
    clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By clubsandwich
    No Caption Provided

That's the worst idea ever.

Hdfisise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hdfisise
    Shadow said:
    "Whisperkill said:
    "Heh, I recently went through story mode in SSBB with my friend and another friend did commentary the whole time, it was hilarious.

"

Why?  You already have the party aspect in XBL.  It would take some coding on Microsoft's part, but live streaming video isn't exactly a new and unexplored medium.  Naturally, it's not like you would be playing another game while watching someone else play theirs, and so your system will be working about as hard as it would running the game in the first place.  So why would this be hard to do?"
    It would be extremely likely it would make a performance hit. It would mean the game would heva to be recorded while playing which absolutely kills fps :\ Have a look into xfire broadcasting if you want to see this idea in an early stage of implementation.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I like that idea.
    P.S: xbox live servers wouldn't explode since it would be Client side.

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By samcotts

Great idea, don't know how well it would work though. I do love watching other people play through games, in a lot of cases I'd prefer watch then actually play the game myself.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Shadow
    Hdfisise said:
    "Shadow said:
    "Whisperkill said:

"

Why?  You already have the party aspect in XBL.  It would take some coding on Microsoft's part, but live streaming video isn't exactly a new and unexplored medium.  Naturally, it's not like you would be playing another game while watching someone else play theirs, and so your system will be working about as hard as it would running the game in the first place.  So why would this be hard to do?"
    It would be extremely likely it would make a performance hit. It would mean the game would heva to be recorded while playing which absolutely kills fps :\ Have a look into xfire broadcasting if you want to see this idea in an early stage of implementation.
    "

that's why you would only do it with single player games.  It isn't necessary to have the performance of the video have anything at all to do with the performance of the game itself, but instead have it rely entirely on the audience's ability to stream the content fast enough.  On multiplayer games, this would probably affect lag somewhat in online games, but it shouldn't effect single player games at all.  Live streaming video sucks up bandwidth, but it shouldn't affect the game itself unless it relies on that bandwidth too.
    Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 43

#13  Edited By Eder

In Gears when you die in multiplayer doesn't this happen? Making this totaly possible and a very good idea.

WizardHowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By WizardHowl

I really like that idea. Can't you watch a movie with other people over Netflix? I'm sure MS could implement this. However I'm sure they might try to make it so only if you own the game you could watch it.

But really, would love for that to come to fruition.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By fr0br0

I like this idea. Usually when I play a game with friends, we make weird funny comments all the time which makes it so much more fun. MGS4 with friends who have never played any MGS game before = mighty lulz.

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#16  Edited By strangeling
    samcotts said:
    "Great idea, don't know how well it would work though. I do love watching other people play through games, in a lot of cases I'd prefer watch then actually play the game myself."
    That's why I like the Persona 4 Endurance Run.  There are games I find interesting based on characters/story, but can never play  through myself because the gameplay doesn't do it for me.
    daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    Eder said:
    "In Gears when you die in multiplayer doesn't this happen? Making this totaly possible and a very good idea.
    "
      Yeah it does and it is a brilliant idea
    WizardHowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WizardHowl

A problem I forsee with this, is that Microsoft is leaning towards a more casual experiences and this seems to be something only hardcore gamers want.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By StaticFalconar

Works in theory if everybody on your XBL list truly is your friend. But many people have XBl list that aren't true friends, so you're gonna get: "What kinda faggoty ass thing you doing now, you god damn nigga......". Somehow I don't find that hilarious.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Shadow
    StaticFalconar said:
    "Works in theory if everybody on your XBL list truly is your friend. But many people have XBl list that aren't true friends, so you're gonna get: "What kinda faggoty ass thing you doing now, you god damn nigga......". Somehow I don't find that hilarious.
    "

well that sort of situation is solved by the kick+remove friend super combo
    logson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By logson

I like the idea. Everyone could have their own Mystery Science Theaters. The charm might run dry pretty quickly, and bathroom and food breaks by the player could halt the fun, but I definitely think the ability to do that would be nice.

chamin1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By chamin1

I honestly think it's a great idea. And maybe some games could implement this feature into the gameplay somehow. The only thing I'm worried about is how well xbl could handle it. It may cause some problems with the system xbl may even to shut down for a while at some point. I don't know if it could be done.

RyanD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RyanD

I think it's a pretty good idea. I don't know how, the xbox live servers would handle all the information being distributed, but if they found some way for that to work, I would use it.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24  Edited By kush

Let's stop it with the spam posts in this thread, there's no reason for that crap. In response to the topic at hand...I don't think it would be too bad of an idea, as long as it's 100% optional and a setting you can turn off if you don't want it.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By crunchUK

that WOULd be amazing, but as a load of people pointed out everyone's internets would simply melt with all the strain. HOWEVER you could do something like halo 3 theater where you don't actually have a video file, rather a file which just tells all the game objects where to be and when, so that 10 minutes of you gaming would take up very little bandwidth compared to a video.

Also in halo 3 you can already almost do that, not streaming you playing but having 4 people watch the same clip at the same time

I'm starting to think this could well work

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By Red

If they could get it to work, it'd be very awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love for something like this to be in Street Fighter IV in something like a quarter mode or tournament mode when in a party.

dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By dj

Good theory however I doubt it would ever be used well.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

thats why theres justin.tv

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By PureRok
    Shadow said:
    "Hdfisise said:
    "Shadow said:
    "Whisperkill said:

"

"
    that's why you would only do it with single player games.  It isn't necessary to have the performance of the video have anything at all to do with the performance of the game itself, but instead have it rely entirely on the audience's ability to stream the content fast enough.  On multiplayer games, this would probably affect lag somewhat in online games, but it shouldn't effect single player games at all.  Live streaming video sucks up bandwidth, but it shouldn't affect the game itself unless it relies on that bandwidth too."
    I don't think you fully understand how streaming works. The system will have to record each frame and then send it. At 60 FPS the 360 will be both rendering the frames and trying to record them to stream them at the same time. This requires CPU... which degrades performance. Some games already have some frame rate issues; compound those issues with the extra CPU crunching going on and those small dips become a lot bigger.

I like the idea, but unless they make some sort of hardware add-on to do the extra work for it... I don't see how it could be implemented successfully.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#31  Edited By JJWeatherman
    clubsandwich said:
    "
    No Caption Provided
    That's the worst idea ever."
    great image. I saved it...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.