Is it me or...

#1 Posted by shadowjak (456 posts) -

or did the UT3 popularity not last long? Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but the other day I went to find a game and their were hardly any.

#2 Posted by GiantBomber (350 posts) -

yeah.. seeing as tho it came out on PC and PS3 first I doubt many peps would want to play it on 360 (although a few of my friends have it) it just doesn't offer anything that the previous platforms don't already have.

#3 Posted by Shasam (468 posts) -

I think it coming out on other platforms earlier affects it. Most of all, I think that game is such a PC game that it's meant to be played on the PC, and at the very least using mouse and keyboard which only the PS3 has. I here it's good on the 360, but Unreal just has this image of a PC game.

#4 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -

The UT3 community pretty much evaporated and went back to UT2K4

#5 Posted by Xeros606 (545 posts) -

thats disappointing. oh well, its till my favorite 360 game, just a little buggy. my best guess is that it lost popularity because most 360 users are acustomed to slower, strategy oriented games (halo 3, cod 4).

#6 Posted by shadowjak (456 posts) -
Shasam said:
"I think it coming out on other platforms earlier affects it. Most of all, I think that game is such a PC game that it's meant to be played on the PC, and at the very least using mouse and keyboard which only the PS3 has. I here it's good on the 360, but Unreal just has this image of a PC game.
"

Personally, I hate mouse and keybaord, but yes UT definitely seems like a PC game. I love the game on 360 because I like the use of a controller and loved all the orignal maps, but sadly the community just died out.
BlindEffekt said:
"The UT3 community pretty much evaporated and went back to UT2K4
"

I heard these two games were almost exactly alike, is that true? Also, I thought they XBL UT community jsts retreated back to Gears >_>
#7 Posted by McDazzle (544 posts) -

I had no idea it came out for the 360 until a couple days ago :|

#8 Posted by Strife88 (225 posts) -

It was out on the PS3 and PC for a while now and most of us have more than one console or atleast a good PC.

#9 Posted by Xeros606 (545 posts) -
shadowjak said:
"I heard these two games were almost exactly alike, is that true? Also, I thought they XBL UT community jsts retreated back to Gears >_>"
me too, i think a lot of people bought it expecting gears of war 1.5
#10 Posted by shadowjak (456 posts) -
Xeros606 said:
"shadowjak said:
"I heard these two games were almost exactly alike, is that true? Also, I thought they XBL UT community jsts retreated back to Gears >_>"
me too, i think a lot of people bought it expecting gears of war 1.5
"

I was talking to someone in a 19 round Raven Down match a few secodns ago about this, and pretty much they said that. Specifically, they said 'Yeah, I bought the game, watched the Gears 2 footage, then went to do campaign and was shocked it was an FPS. I thought it was going to be exactly like Gears, I was f*cking wrong."

My response: "It's the people who made Unrela that made Gears, not the other way around dude.."
#11 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -

To me UT2K4 was alot more fast paced and frantic.
Also, the graphics weren't completely gritty and dark like gears, it kinda makes it hard to identify enemy's easily.
UT2K4 Just feels more fluid.

#12 Posted by shadowjak (456 posts) -
BlindEffekt said:
"To me UT2K4 was alot more fast paced and frantic.
Also, the graphics weren't completely gritty and dark like gears, it kinda makes it hard to identify enemy's easily.
UT2K4 Just feels more fluid.
"
So a game that was really a spinoff to the main series is better than a game that is in the main series of UT?
#13 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -

Exactly. Lol

#14 Posted by MagusMaleficus (1036 posts) -

I liked it, but I didn't love it. I guess I'm just not good enough of a Unreal Tournament player to enjoy endlessly fragging random dudes.

#15 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -

But with all the endless fragging of people, it still feels like your achieving nothing. No ranks or stats. Just pure play.
I guess that could be some of the reason it didn't catch on

#16 Posted by MsCortana (429 posts) -

Sadly, I found the game and multiplayer to be quite monotonous.  I will be trading this one in. :(

#17 Posted by Xeros606 (545 posts) -
BlindEffekt said:
"But with all the endless fragging of people, it still feels like your achieving nothing. No ranks or stats. Just pure play.
I guess that could be some of the reason it didn't catch on
"
tbh this was one of the selling points for me. i can freely play, screwing up as many times as i want to. its not so stressful like hao where your thinking "oh crap if i dont kill someone before xxslayerdudexx i dont rank up!" if i want to play cometitively, i can hop onto gamebattles and look for a match.
#18 Posted by x3ar (236 posts) -

i dont think it was ever popular the servers have been dead on pc since the day it came out.

#19 Posted by heretrix (84 posts) -

It would have helped if it didn't suck.

#20 Posted by twenty0ne (3071 posts) -

I was going to get it, but if the popularity is already dwindling, I think I'll reconsider.

#21 Posted by Nobility (295 posts) -

I don't think any game will have the impact Unreal Tournament had and the community Unreal Tournament 2004 had.

#22 Posted by xplodedd (1316 posts) -

pc version is dying as well it isn't an xbox only fever... ut3 is just not such a good game

#23 Posted by xplodedd (1316 posts) -

pc version is dying as well it isn't an xbox only fever... ut3 is just not such a good game

#24 Posted by MAV3R1CK (125 posts) -

The lack of ranks and stats is one of the main reasons why Unreal III isn't as successful as its predecessors.

#25 Posted by DarkLegend (1387 posts) -

Probably just you, it lasted a while.

#26 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -

I thought it was getting popular now.

#27 Posted by shadowjak (456 posts) -
x3ar said:
"i dont think it was ever popular the servers have been dead on pc since the day it came out.
"
It was actually very popular the day it came out on 360, and was for the first week or two. now therei s like 5 games going at once.
#28 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

The franchise is just boring now. People want more strategic shooters; CoD4 might not require the most thought, but it's more than just a run-and-gun. The fact that they released the same game 3 different times didn't help either.

#29 Posted by Met2609 (555 posts) -

UT3 Forum?

Yeah, I didn't really hit big on either system.

#30 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -

Games that are only online don't seem to last long on the 360.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.