Is it too late too buy a new xbox?

#1 Posted by Niall_Sg1 (362 posts) -

I finally finished unpacking my Xbox from storage after moving and was getting ready to go on XBL and play some games when I realised my wireless adaptor is now broken. I've got one of the original xbox 360s so it doesn't have in built wireless. The next thing I discovered was that my controller is on it's last legs... and I also need a new hard drive for the xbox..as I managed to leave my current one 500 miles away. Now I was looking online at the prices for an adaptor and they're insanely expensive. This led me to thinking, should I bother buying a new controller and wireless adaptor or just go all out and get a new Xbox.

To put it in perspective a wireless adaptor is £50 and a controller is £25. Also a 20GB HDD is also like £20. That means I'd be spending like £100 fixing this old Xbox..The other thing is, is there any point buying a new xbox? Is Microsoft more than likely going to have a new one out new year?

#2 Posted by Sackmanjones (4609 posts) -

Buy a ps3 brotha, it only does everything.

But seriously I think your safe to buy a new one if you want too.

#3 Edited by Fizzy (384 posts) -

Sure dude, Xbox isn't planning to put out a new system for a few years I think. You give your wallet a heart attack once...wait a bit and then give him the paddles. He's cool for a few years until Xbox 720 right? I still have the arcade version from 2006 :P

(I would just get a new xbox, the newer ones are also supposed to be less prone to the Red Ring of Death).

#4 Posted by msavo (7522 posts) -

Buy a new Xbox. Coming from a launch 360 it will feel like a huge improvement.

#5 Edited by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

There's the slim that's around $250-300 last I saw. Not sure about the conversion rates but yeah.

The original is around $200 here in the US at Gamestop, although you could probably get it cheaper.

Weigh the positives and negatives of getting a new one then go from there.

That is what I would do.

#6 Posted by AmatureIdiot (980 posts) -

Can't you get a new xbox for about £150 now, if so the price seems right. I can't see there being major new revision coming up.

#7 Posted by DeF (4692 posts) -

since it's about to be holiday time, you'll find plenty good deals for a shiny new xbox that is quieter, has more space and wireless internet. get a new one and check for deals!

#8 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

I bought the Gears console last week and my X-Box wasn't even broken. If you buy a new one now consider yourself lucky if it still works when the next one comes out, because that isn't any time soon. You're safe.

#9 Posted by ABritishNerd (318 posts) -

@MideonNViscera said:

I bought the Gears console last week and my X-Box wasn't even broken.

That's nice, wish I had that much expendable income. Enjoy it xD

OT: You should definitely get a new one, it's a big improvement over launch.

#10 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Don't be stupid, just go and buy a N64!

#11 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

@fpsmadpaul said:

@MideonNViscera said:

I bought the Gears console last week and my X-Box wasn't even broken.

That's nice, wish I had that much expendable income. Enjoy it xD

OT: You should definitely get a new one, it's a big improvement over launch.

haha It's not as ballin' as it sounds. I started paying it off back when it was first announced, often by trading in my games.

#12 Posted by Seedofpower (3909 posts) -

Pc is always a safe bet.

#13 Posted by TerribleStapler (39 posts) -

I agree with the rest of these guys, there's no reason not to get a new one. It'll make a nice upgrade.

#14 Posted by mariokart64fan (366 posts) -

its never too late ,

i remember 1 month after my first xbox 360 came out i got that my xbox 1 died out ,

i went out even though i just got a 360 i bought one of the final xboxs to be made , to replace my bricked one

and when my ps2 broke it was also around the time i bought a 60 gig ps3 3 mos after its launch so i bought a new ps2 9000 series lol

so with that im getting a xbox 360 slim my self for xmas, so no its not to late , cause remember - the new console which is rumored to come by 2013 possibly wont play 360 games possibly wont have a game that interist you yet and possibly even be tad to expensive for you ,

cant guess whats gonna happen in the future , i am already goin to pick up a vita on feb 22 2012 and a wiiu by that yrs end , id still be ready to buy a 720 then the next yr or so get a ps4 if they are not 600 that is , if they are ill wait til their 300-400

#15 Posted by dael (19 posts) -

Wait for the black Friday deals everyone had bought another Xbox in this generation.

#16 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1197 posts) -

Mine just red ringed yesterday it was a launch model that was 5 years old. With all the awesome games coming out soon I plan on getting myself a shiny new xbox ASAP

#17 Posted by mandude (2667 posts) -

Think they plan on keeping it current for the next few years. All the shitty peripherals are replacing new consoles it seems. :(

#18 Posted by Stackboy (446 posts) -

You still have a good 2 years of life cycle left in the 360. Get a new one.

#19 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

Hell yeah

#20 Posted by demonknightinuyasha (451 posts) -

You'd probably be fine to get a new one, if that's the route you wanted to go. If you have a really old xbox you also get the benefit of a new warranty, which is never a bad thing. Unlike the original Xbox, the 360 did well, so they probably won't drop it the second they announce whatever the next Xbox is called. I still have yet to buy a 360 but probably will when the Star Wars one is finally released because I'm dumb like that XD

#21 Posted by dagas (2711 posts) -

@Still_I_Cry said:

There's the slim that's around $250-300 last I saw. Not sure about the conversion rates but yeah.

The original is around $200 here in the US at Gamestop, although you could probably get it cheaper.

Weigh the positives and negatives of getting a new one then go from there.

That is what I would do.

That's quite expensive. The 250GB 360 is €179 where I live. By comparison the PS3 160GB is €219. These prices include 25% VAT so it would be about €140 for the 360 if you list the price without tax as is done in the US.

I guess the PS3 is selling much better over here or something. The 360 has been way lower than the official MSRP for years. I think that officially the 360 costs the same as a PS3, but since supply and demand is in work over here rather than following the suggested retail price it has always been much cheaper then the PS3.

#22 Posted by big_jon (5657 posts) -

I would, you're missing out on a lot if you don't.

#23 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5117 posts) -

Honestly there are so many good games on the Xbox that you can buy for ridiculously cheap that I don't think it would ever be too late.

#24 Posted by swfcfan (264 posts) -

No point spending £100 to upgrade an old 360 that might die next week when you can spend around £190 on a new one with a "free" game included.

#25 Posted by Dradyl (4 posts) -

Buy a new Xbox 360. I'm assuming with the games that are coming out next year, the next generation Xbox won't be ready until 2013 at the earliest.

#26 Posted by JasonR86 (9372 posts) -

@Niall_Sg1:

Nope, they're still being sold. If you want some insight into when the new console is coming out then you'll only get speculation and rumors. If you can afford it, and you believe there are enough games on the system you want to play, then just buy it.

#27 Posted by drift_tuned (17 posts) -

but the new 360 you won't regret it.

#28 Posted by mariokart64fan (366 posts) -

on 2nd note after seeing a blue wii in the walmart ad for black friday im so tempting to find one even with 5 wiis in the house already haha so no its not to late

#29 Posted by killerneub (4 posts) -

Ya I think instead of paying $100 or euros w/e to fix your old one you should buy a slim.

- For one you can sell your old 360 and make around $100 with some games...

+ the $100 you would have to spend anyway and it's worth it.

#30 Edited by w00ties (186 posts) -

All due respect to PS3 owners, but don't start debating between the 360 and PS3. I assume you already own a ton of 360 games, so if you are going to spend money on controllers and adapters you may as well buy an entirely new 360 unit.

#31 Posted by Spongetwan (201 posts) -

Get a new one!!! I need to get a 160GB HDD!

#32 Posted by MikkaQ (10224 posts) -

Just bought a second one a month ago and I'm quite happy with it. They're going to be supported for a while.

#33 Posted by Ackbar (25 posts) -

Just buy it. Your going to be happy and the game line up is massive. Also the price on used games is great. You'll have a ton to play. Just trade it in when there's a new system. good luck and have fun!

#34 Posted by redbliss (647 posts) -

I think they may announce a new xbox next year, but I dont know that it will come out until 2013. I have no idea how far they are into development of a new console, but I just feel like if they wanted to bring it out in 2012 they would have to rush it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.