is it worth getting a 360?

• 52 results
#1 Posted by sdwhitby (14 posts) -

i mean how good really is halo and gears of war because im considering getting a 360 and there pretty cheap now(only £197 for a premium with halo3)

#2 Posted by Tovan (633 posts) -

I would personally say yes it's worth it, the 360 has some great games and a great online service, but it's really up to you to decide if you enjoy what it has to offer.

#3 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

I think the system is worth getting...and you do know that there is more on the system then just Halo and Gears...

#4 Posted by Svenddv (24 posts) -

if you consider buying the best console this gen a good idea, then yeah

#5 Posted by Tiago (92 posts) -

Sure man, don't hesitate. Especially at that price.

#6 Posted by igpx407 (75 posts) -
Kush said:
"I think the system is worth getting...and you do know that there is more on the system then just Halo and Gears...
"
Like Mass Effect and Dead Rising
#7 Posted by MAV3R1CK (125 posts) -

The system is worth getting, especially within a year like 2008. 2008 will just be like 2007, with more great games than ever before.

#8 Posted by Nobility (295 posts) -

Absolutely, it has a great backlog of games and it still has much promise left.  Microsoft just proved that with the new Xbox Experience.

#9 Posted by Dovey (161 posts) -

Yeah.

Jump In

#10 Posted by Lombax (105 posts) -

I own all three current gen systems [well actually I just sold my Wii to a friend] the 360 is easily my favorite console so far. The online experience is solid, there are a lot of great games aside from gears of war and halo 3, and its got achievements to boot! 

some of my favorite games: 
GRID
Eternal Sonata
Culdcept Saga
Dead Rising
COD 4 
Condemned 

Coming Soon
Too Human 
#11 Posted by Cleric (286 posts) -

Yes, no doubt about it. I just talked one of my best friends into buying one (he never ever owned a gaming console in his life). I borrowed him Gears and Halo 3 and he's on the moon right now.

Also

Kush
said:

"...and you do know that there is more on the system then just Halo and Gears..."

Quoted for truthness.

#12 Edited by gogojira (4 posts) -

Yes, but holy shit, look beyond Gears of War and Halo 3. Both of those two games are good, but there are a wealth of awesome games with Bioshock probably being the best.

#13 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -

Yes it is. The 360 has a huge library of games that the other 7th gen consoles do not have. Also, the online community is large, so expect a challenge when playing online, and earning achievements after completing something adds replay value to your games.

#14 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

Yeah it is worth getting, but over a PS3? I don't think so personally. If you would have asked me this a year ago however, I would be saying the opposite, but things have changed greatly.

If you are looking to buy a system, I think PS3 is more worthy then the 360. Just more quality titles, and more future quality exclusives, where the 360 seems to be more blank for the future in terms of exclusives.

#15 Posted by TinyGrenade (141 posts) -

There are so many amazing games coming out for the 360 as well as the PS3 but, the 360 is getting a lot of exclusives like Too Human, GoW2, plus xbox live really is that good.

#16 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -
Sentry said:
 where the 360 seems to be more blank for the future in terms of exclusives.
"
The Playstation 3 is losing their exclusive titles, not getting more.
#17 Posted by DarkLegend (1387 posts) -

Best selection of games, yes.

#18 Posted by tec3297 (1170 posts) -
Br3adfan said:
"Sentry said:
"
"
They are and it is why you should get a 360.  Plus the 20 GB Pro just went down to $299.
#19 Posted by OblivionGuy07 (161 posts) -

Yeah it is, right now the 360 has the greatest games of all the current consoles. Even though the online is 50 bucks a year, it's still worth picking up.

#20 Edited by Blazer74 (186 posts) -

Since its still the best next gen console, yup not to mention the PS3 exclusives are almost nonexistant. Actually surprised you didn't get one sooner considering the PS3 came out a year later, had a pretty bad launch and a very slow first year.

#21 Posted by Txheat (133 posts) -

Wait till the next Xbox you Ps3 will live long enough then hop on the bandtrain then

#22 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -
Br3adfan said:
"Sentry said:
"
"

LOL, have you looked at the exclusive list side by side? And MS has really low amounts of exclusives for 09, and even less then PS3 in 08.
#23 Posted by I_smell (3925 posts) -

I wouldn't say it's worth it if you've allready got a PS3. I don't even have Halo or Gears.

I mean what the fuck, how much money do you wanna spend on games?

#24 Posted by DirrtyNinja (715 posts) -
Best 200 quid you will ever spend.
#25 Posted by Guiltyspark (554 posts) -
Sentry said:
"Br3adfan said:
"Sentry said:
"
"

LOL, have you looked at the exclusive list side by side? And MS has really low amounts of exclusives for 09, and even less then PS3 in 08.
"
thats because they havent been announced yet and all the titles sony is getting in 09 are games you have been waiting for since 2006.....

360 has the better exclusives , the multiplatform games run better on it , and its cheaper then the ps3 that still doesnt have games worth spending 400 dollars for ( if you intend to quote me with mediocre titles like resistance and warhawk , just do yourself a favor and end your life because playstation has tainted your veiw on what quality is in this day and age )
#26 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -
Guiltyspark said:
"Sentry said:
"Br3adfan said:
"Sentry said:
"
"

"
thats because they havent been announced yet and all the titles sony is getting in 09 are games you have been waiting for since 2006.....

360 has the better exclusives , the multiplatform games run better on it , and its cheaper then the ps3 that still doesnt have games worth spending 400 dollars for ( if you intend to quote me with mediocre titles like resistance and warhawk , just do yourself a favor and end your life because playstation has tainted your veiw on what quality is in this day and age )
"

LOL, wow. Where do I start. OK, what 09 exclusives that would possibly come in 09? They would have to announce more then half a dozen to out weight PS3 09 exclusive titles. And what games are we getting in 09 that were suppose to be in 06? LMAO!

I don't think it has better exclusives. While Gears, Fable, and a few others are all great games, if you look at the amount of PS3 exclusives and their quality, its not hard to see that the PS3 has better ones, even with the year late release.

Like I said elsewhere, majority 07 multiplat games looked better on slightly better on 360, majority 08 games look about the same on both, majority of 09 games will start to look better on PS3. Its just a matter of time. 360 came out a year before, remember? And multiplat games are even starting to make PS3 the lead system, because it makes it easier to port to 360. PS3 as a system is worth every penny, even beyond games bro.

Warhawk? Resistance? Mediocre? WOW that is fanboysim, those are amazing titles just look at reviews and how many fans there are of those games. Obviously your a fanboy who has never played PS3, sadly.
#27 Posted by Guiltyspark (554 posts) -
Sentry said:
"Guiltyspark said:
"Sentry said:
"Br3adfan said:
"Sentry said:
"
"

"

"

LOL, wow. Where do I start. OK, what 09 exclusives that would possibly come in 09? They would have to announce more then half a dozen to out weight PS3 09 exclusive titles. And what games are we getting in 09 that were suppose to be in 06? LMAO!

I don't think it has better exclusives. While Gears, Fable, and a few others are all great games, if you look at the amount of PS3 exclusives and their quality, its not hard to see that the PS3 has better ones, even with the year late release.

Like I said elsewhere, majority 07 multiplat games looked better on slightly better on 360, majority 08 games look about the same on both, majority of 09 games will start to look better on PS3. Its just a matter of time. 360 came out a year before, remember? And multiplat games are even starting to make PS3 the lead system, because it makes it easier to port to 360. PS3 as a system is worth every penny, even beyond games bro.

Warhawk? Resistance? Mediocre? WOW that is fanboysim, those are amazing titles just look at reviews and how many fans there are of those games. Obviously your a fanboy who has never played PS3, sadly.
"

1. You have been waiting to play GT5 since e3 06 , you have been waiting on killzone since 06 , you have been waiting on final fantasy since 06 , you have been waiting on tekken since 06 . Raped

2. You dont think so , but a majority of every game editor on the planet seems to think the ps3 is completely lacking. And these exclusives you keep mentioning that sony has are flat out mediocre titles , i bet you were waiting in line for ratchet and clank lol . All of sonys exclusives are mediocre trash and every good 3rd party game they used to have is now going to 360 where it will run better , and sell better.

3. Completely retarded observation that sony fans have been using as damage control since the ps3 released . "just wait another year PLZ the ps3 will be decent then" The ps3 is NEVER going to out perform the 360 when it comes to multiplatform titles unless content is updated a year later for a delayed release ( oblivions texture pack from the pc added in ). And this little idea that you have of developers deciding to lead on ps3 is the funniest thing i have ever heard in my life, the ps3 is a NIGHTMARE to port to in the first place , Developing for the ps3 first and trying to transfer the clusterfuck of repeating code for the multiple SPU's to the 360's simple architecture would not "help" development and would actually cost the guys making the game more money.

4. Owned the games , warhawk was nice , resistance sucked and im not even considering buying the second peice of trash  

#28 Edited by whackmypinata (941 posts) -
Txheat said:
"Wait till the next Xbox you Ps3 will live long enough then hop on the bandtrain then
"

That will be 3+ years.
#29 Posted by MissileWarriorz (264 posts) -

yea 360 is pretty good and it's got some great games coming including gears 2 

#30 Posted by tancred8120 (93 posts) -

Maybe..but considering you already have a ps3 I'm unsure. You do get Gears, Halo, Mass Effect, ect, with the 360.

#31 Posted by KinRai (18 posts) -

YES! Simple answer
If you play online alot, it's easily the best console for you.

#32 Posted by BlackSuitAndTie9 (289 posts) -

No.

Yes, why did you even bother asking this in an Xbox 360 forum? Everyone is going to say yes. But seriously, it has a ton of great games and buying movies and TV shows on the marketplace is always a nice feature.

#33 Posted by interstate78 (95 posts) -

I'm trying to convince a friend of mine to get one now because I find XBL (not only playing on it but everything that revolves around it like arcade, achievements, voicechat, movies, etc.) to be really great. He currently has a PS3 and a Wii while I have all 3 consoles.

He keeps complaining that there's only Gears of Wars and Halo on it

Well it's far from the truth. If you look at Gamerankings, there's over 75 games with a ranking of over 80% for the 360, a considerable portion of which are exclusives or are the definitive versions.

Personally, I could live with a 360 only but I'd have a hard time with having a PS3 only or a Wii only, so I guess that makes it a really worthwhile purchase.

#34 Posted by tdcnight (9 posts) -

id say it is definitely worth the price, so id say get it

#35 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

Worth every penny.

#36 Posted by Grilledcheez (3942 posts) -

The 360 has the best library of games available...so if you plan on using it to game then, YES it's worth it.

#37 Edited by SSbabel (1141 posts) -

For sure get a 360 great lineup cheap system, some really good games coming this year.

#38 Posted by shadowjak (456 posts) -

Do you love your soul and many many exclusives than any other system on the market?

#39 Posted by McDazzle (544 posts) -
Vinchenzo said:
"Worth every penny.
"
^Indeed
#40 Posted by KiLL3r (100 posts) -

Those are definitely great tittles on the 360. It's a good time to pick one up,especially with Gears Of war 2 coming out this year. If you plan to buy one, just make sure you buy a warranty for it.

#41 Posted by Wolverine (4276 posts) -

Yes I think Xbox 360 has the best exclusives of this generation.

#42 Posted by blackwolf (24 posts) -

It's totally worth it the best console of this generation

#43 Posted by MagusMaleficus (1034 posts) -

Of course it's worth it! Just be sure to pick up a console developed sometime this year, as those are the best designed (in terms of, well, not dying).

#44 Posted by DarkLegend (1387 posts) -

Yeah if you're a hardcore gamer, that library is amazing.

#45 Posted by Ma7moud (805 posts) -

Absolutely its an awesome system my favorite so far this gen.

#46 Posted by lart (1 posts) -
sdwhitby said:
"i mean how good really is halo and gears of war because im considering getting a 360 and there pretty cheap now(only £197 for a premium with halo3)"
I bought a xbox360 elite about 4 months ago, and of cause it comes down to the games you would like to play. I can not really comment on halo, but i didn't like gears of war that much, to justify my purchase. Many of the really good games, like Mass Effect, but also Gears of War are already available for the PC Platform. There are imho not that many great exclusive titles for the xbox 360. In comparison, there is the PS3, which is much more expensive, but still has lots of good exclusive titles (this will change in the forseeable future), and from an hardware point of view, offers much more than the xbox360 - at a price.
 I'm very dissapointed by the noise the xbox360 dvd drives still produces. It's downright annoying. But I heard they will in the future copy the gaming content to the harddisk so the premium box would be an better investment, otherwise i would say just take the cheapest xbox360.

You have to pay for the xbox360 online part, which imho isn't worth it. Except for multiplayer games, you are bombarded, with trailers/advertisement/demos for upcoming movies and games and almost all interesting and uninteresting stuff to extend your games or online profile costs extra. PS3 comes with a free online mode, but i heard it's mediocore at best, although the online mode of i.e. GTA4 xbox360 was quite dissapointing too.

But i have to say, there is a game that made and makes my xbox360 time worth it, dead rising. If there were no dead rising for the xbox, i would have regretted buying it, as i.e. GTA4 is also available for the PS3 (MGS series, God of War2...).
In conclusion i would today buy the most inexpensive xbox360 + dead rising +GTA4 + PS3 + MGS. If uncertain, i would recommend you rent the xbox360 and testplay GoW and Halo first.

#47 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

Guiltyspark said:

"Sentry said:
"Guiltyspark said:
"Sentry said:
"Br3adfan said:
"Sentry said:
"
"

"

"

"

1. You have been waiting to play GT5 since e3 06 , you have been waiting on killzone since 06 , you have been waiting on final fantasy since 06 , you have been waiting on tekken since 06 . Raped

2. You dont think so , but a majority of every game editor on the planet seems to think the ps3 is completely lacking. And these exclusives you keep mentioning that sony has are flat out mediocre titles , i bet you were waiting in line for ratchet and clank lol . All of sonys exclusives are mediocre trash and every good 3rd party game they used to have is now going to 360 where it will run better , and sell better.

3. Completely retarded observation that sony fans have been using as damage control since the ps3 released . "just wait another year PLZ the ps3 will be decent then" The ps3 is NEVER going to out perform the 360 when it comes to multiplatform titles unless content is updated a year later for a delayed release ( oblivions texture pack from the pc added in ). And this little idea that you have of developers deciding to lead on ps3 is the funniest thing i have ever heard in my life, the ps3 is a NIGHTMARE to port to in the first place , Developing for the ps3 first and trying to transfer the clusterfuck of repeating code for the multiple SPU's to the 360's simple architecture would not "help" development and would actually cost the guys making the game more money.

4. Owned the games , warhawk was nice , resistance sucked and im not even considering buying the second peice of trash  

"
LMFAO! Dude, just because someone SHOWS a game doesn't mean it will come out that day. Halo was shown when? And came out when? Exactly. All those games you are talking about never had a date, just because they were debuted doesn't mean they had a release date, no different then 360 games. And look at LBP, its winning all the GOTS of E3 lately, with every site giving it NOTHING but positive feedback, yet you say its shit? I think you are just a fanboy who can't admit LBP is a great game, in a pool of great games.

If you look at games right now, on both systems, they look pretty damn even despite the year gap, and some even look better on PS3. I am sorry but you are just being ignorant when saying PS3 is a nightmare to develop for, when you are not a developer nor do you know any developers. It takes time to develop for, just like PS2 did when it launched, and that learning curve is now over.

Go look at Warhawk reviews buddy, go look at Resistance: Fall of Man reviews, best ever for a LAUCNH TITLE. Seriously, grow up man, stop being such a fanboy and just be a gamer.
#48 Posted by pause422 (6170 posts) -

Unless you've played halo or gears for yourself (since those are the games you mentioned first off) or seen enough to wow you into them,I would say those alone aren't a gd enough reason. However plenty of good games are hitting this fall for the system. Do you have a PS3 already btw?  if you do most games coming out of good quality are multiplatform besides the few big exclusives. I'd say check out some Gears gameplay(being the main big game for 360 this fall) and see if you're into it ,and if you don't have a PS3 or anything already,then hands down,it is definitely a great time to purchase a 360.

#49 Posted by pause422 (6170 posts) -

Just mentioning ,that whole aruing shit above is retarded,but Sentry is right is every way,both consoles are great so don't hate on one just based on your own bias opinion which is probably not even true,since I doubt you've even played the games to begin with. And opinon is just that,opinion,it means nothing to the masses what you "think" the tons of reviews out there are just "opinions " in a way as well,but they actually go in depth enough to show that those games are owrth playing.

#50 Posted by logson (521 posts) -

The 360 has a huge amount of great games on it. Go for it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.