Is it worth it to get a 360 this late in the game?

#1 Edited by liquidsnakegfer9 (158 posts) -

So an acquaintance of mine is selling his old fat and white 360 for a price of 50$. This gen I bought a wii in 2008 and a ps3 in 2009, neglecting the 360 completely for the entire gen. Now that this gen has gone by and I've gotten the chance to play games like mass effect on ps3 , and some of the previously exclusive indie titles (fez, mark of the ninja, etc) on pc, is it at all worth it for me to purchase a 360 at this point? The only games that I can think to play that I didn't already play on ps3 are the halo and gears of war games.

#2 Posted by Yummylee (22274 posts) -

I'd say Gears of War and Halo are still worth checking out. Also, the Forza series if you like dem racing games, and Fable 2's pretty awesome, too.

#3 Posted by TheMasterDS (2120 posts) -

There are probably Xbox Live Arcade games that are worth playing. Shadow Complex for instance never went to anything else. Not sure how many other games there are in that boat since many of the stand out XBLA games went to PC or PSN after a year or so but for 50 bucks? Why not? You could also try out Viva Pinata and Nuts and Bolts.

Fair warning, if it's a fat and white 360 you'll be looking at maintenance costs due to hardware failure. Last I looked it costed 50 bucks to get one repaired given a Red Ring though prices may vary since my price came from a dude who worked out of his home.

#4 Edited by thatdutchguy (1273 posts) -

Sure, get Dead Rising 1, it's the best in the series.

#5 Posted by Guesty_01 (382 posts) -

Absolutly. I'm in the same boat, haven't owned one since about '08 when my second 360 broke. Hoping to pick one up in next couple months. Then again, I don't own a PC, so there's that.

#6 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1595 posts) -

Well it's not like you can get an Xbox One and playing 360 games with it, so there's technically never been a better time to get a 360 than now, since basically every game that is going to come out for it is already out.

#7 Edited by BRich (440 posts) -

Sure, tons of great exclusives. For $50 why the hell not?

#8 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2954 posts) -

Might be worth $50, then again if you are going to buy a One or PS4 you will probably be playing that. Why make even more of a pile of shame.

#9 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1871 posts) -

Well, Halo 3, ODST, and Reach all have great campaigns and great multiplayer, though they are probably barren at this point. Halo 4 is utter shit. The Gears trilogy is fantastic. I'd say Gears is right up there with Mass Effect, Uncharted, and Assassin's Creed as one of the best new franchises of this generation.

If six great games is worth spending $50 on a console, go for it. There are some other decent exclusives for the 360, but many of them made it PC at some point. If there is one console you could really afford to not have if you wanted to play the majority of great games this past gen, it's probably the 360; the number of great exclusives on that machine pales in comparison to the PS3 and Wii.

#10 Edited by BigJeffrey (5140 posts) -

Yes, Gears Trilogy, Halo Reach, Halo 3 ODST, Forza Horzion, Banjo, Fable, Alan Wake, Dust An Elysian Tale, Geometry Wars, Left 4 Dead 2 and so on.

I mean $50, so cheap

#11 Posted by Pr1mus (3959 posts) -

I bought one in January 2011 and sold it maybe 9-10 months later. I got it because i figured at that point there was enough exclusives i wanted to try, mostly Halo Reach and the Gears of War games and a few others, plus some downloadable and indie games that had yet to make it to PC, some of which never did.

The result of that was that i thought Halo Reach was alright for one playthrough and maybe 5-6 hours online and that the only other worthwhile experience i got ended up being the N64 Perfect Dark HD and Super Meat Boy and Limbo. Hardly worth the investment in a new console.

#12 Posted by Spoonman671 (4749 posts) -

I never understand this question. The games don't disappear once the console generation is over. It is more worth it now than it was two years ago.

#13 Edited by tescovee (361 posts) -

I never understand this question. The games don't disappear once the console generation is over. It is more worth it now than it was two years ago.

it is weird the way people are reacting, lol my friend was all bummed that i was getting a new console b/c of this....so weird.

#14 Edited by Snail (8646 posts) -

The only exclusives worth playing I can think of are:

• Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts
  • Fable II
  • Forza Horizon
  • Gears of War 2
  • Gears of War 3
  • Gunslinger
  • Halo ODST
  • Halo Reach
  • Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2
  • Rez HD
  • Shadow Complex
  • Viva Piñata
  • Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise

By exclusives I mean games you can't play on any other platform. Personally, for 50$ I think it's worth it to have a console that lets you play these games. But it's up to you.

#15 Posted by TechDemoTREX (27 posts) -

I wouldn't touch a white 360 with a ten foot pole. I've got an Elite and will replace that before the newest model is gone from stores. The 360 will just get cheaper, do yourself a favor and spend an extra $50 once you can get a new unit on discount somewhere. I think there's totally titles worth playing (like Halo), but nothing like the first party PS3 stuff.

#16 Edited by MidNVis (23 posts) -

It's probably worth it. EB Games had refurbished ones for $90 a couple weeks ago.

#17 Posted by animathias (1194 posts) -

If the question is "Are there enough (good) games exclusive to the 360 to justify buying one now?" Then the answer is a resounding yes. But if you're going to buy the console and a bunch of games but don't like them or just don't play them because you've got something else to play, then no it's not.

There are a lot of fantastic gems exclusive to the system, most of them hidden and buried away in the XBL Arcade.

#18 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1871 posts) -

Yes, Gears Trilogy, Halo Reach, Halo 3 ODST, Forza Horzion, Banjo, Fable, Alan Wake, Dust An Elysian Tale, Geometry Wars, Left 4 Dead 2 and so on.

I mean $50, so cheap

Many of those games are available on PC.

#19 Posted by BigJeffrey (5140 posts) -

@bigjeffrey said:

I mean $50, so cheap

fine Gears 1 / 2 / 3, Halo Reach, Halo 3 ODST, Forza Horzion, Banjo,

#20 Edited by ll_Exile_ll (1871 posts) -

@ll_exile_ll said:

@bigjeffrey said:

I mean $50, so cheap

Gears 1 is also on PC ;)

#21 Posted by MidNVis (23 posts) -

@bigjeffrey said:

I mean $50, so cheap

You gonna sell him a PC that can run those games for $50 then?

#22 Edited by BigJeffrey (5140 posts) -

@bigjeffrey said:

@ll_exile_ll said:

@bigjeffrey said:

I mean $50, so cheap

Gears 1 is also on PC ;)

Shit Port

#23 Edited by ll_Exile_ll (1871 posts) -

@midnvis said:

@ll_exile_ll said:

@bigjeffrey said:

I mean $50, so cheap

What?

It wasn't established either way whether or not the OP has a capable PC. When you're talking about whether or not you should buy a console, the games that really matter are the ones you can only get on that console.

#24 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3689 posts) -

I'd say no, get one right now.

#25 Posted by MidNVis (23 posts) -

@midnvis said:

@ll_exile_ll said:

@bigjeffrey said:

I mean $50, so cheap

What?

It wasn't established either way whether or not the OP has a capable PC. When you're talking about whether or not you should buy a console, the games that really matter are the ones you can only get on that console.

So we don't know whether he has a capable PC, yet only games that are console exclusive matter? Right.

#26 Posted by Snail (8646 posts) -

@ll_exile_ll said:

@bigjeffrey said:

@ll_exile_ll said:

@bigjeffrey said:

I mean $50, so cheap

Gears 1 is also on PC ;)

Shit Port

It isn't.

I listed all the 360 exclusives I think are worth playing in an above post, feel free to suggest any additions.

You can't deny that it's a pretty short list when compared to other consoles' range of exclusives (excepting the Vita's I guess), but I'd say it's worth it for 50$ and whatever those games cost right now.

#27 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5899 posts) -

If you can buy one at a reasonable price, then yes. Some of the exclusives like Alan Wake, Viva Pinata and Banjo Nuts and Bolts are definitely worth checking out. Oh yeah, halo and gears too I guess.

#28 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1871 posts) -

@midnvis said:

@ll_exile_ll said:

@midnvis said:

@ll_exile_ll said:

@bigjeffrey said:

I mean $50, so cheap

What?

So we don't know whether he has a capable PC, yet only games that are console exclusive matter? Right.

Take it easy. I can tell you're really getting ready to turn this into console fanboy flame war, which is unfortunate for you because I don't have any console allegiance. I was merely taking the stance that without information stating otherwise, when someone asks you if they should buy a certain system the relevant games to the discussion are the ones you can't play anywhere else.

#29 Posted by RonGalaxy (3262 posts) -

100% worth 50 bones if it works properly.

#30 Edited by ripelivejam (4590 posts) -

bunch of fuggin' xbots <_<

#31 Posted by MidNVis (23 posts) -

@midnvis said:

@ll_exile_ll said:

@midnvis said:

@ll_exile_ll said:

@bigjeffrey said:

I mean $50, so cheap

What?

Take it easy. I can tell you're really getting ready to turn this into console fanboy flame war, which is unfortunate for you because I don't have any console allegiance. I was merely taking the stance that without information stating otherwise, when someone asks you if they should buy a certain system the relevant games to the discussion are the ones you can't play anywhere else.

Actually your statement just made no fucking sense haha

#32 Edited by ll_Exile_ll (1871 posts) -

@midnvis said:

Actually your statement just made no fucking sense haha

What about it made no sense?

Unless someone specifically says "I don't have a PC, so games that aren't on PS3 are new to me", then I just assume that person is looking for games that are only available on 360. That assumption may end up being wrong, but if not stated otherwise it's a safe bet to make. I've read what I wrote before like 5 times now and it makes perfect sense to me, if you don't understand it that isn't my problem.

#33 Edited by ripelivejam (4590 posts) -

actually this thread just makes me wish that geometry wars 2 was on steam :'(

#34 Posted by maverick1 (92 posts) -

I was about to say yes until I read it was one of the old white model ones.stay waway from those you'd probably find an elite for about the same if you look around. plus it's not like the 360 has that many exclusives

#35 Edited by BigJeffrey (5140 posts) -
  • Trials HD
  • Halo CE Anniversary
  • Halo Wars
#36 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2562 posts) -

I say yeah, especially if you're waiting on the PS4 and Xbox One.

Some Exclusives that are worth your time:

• Gears 2 and 3 (You can skip Judgment)
  • Halo 3 ODST (Halo Reach sucks ass, Halo 4 is okay)
  • Forza Horizon or 4 (Honestly I only own Forza 3 so I couldn't tell you which one to get)
  • Crackdown (I personally liked 2 more, but most prefer the original)
  • Kameo (One of Rare's last good games)
  • Halo Wars (Great for a console RTS)
  • Bangai-O HD (Download the trial and play Stage 3. If you don't want it then you are an awful person.)

#37 Posted by bybeach (4974 posts) -

Buy the 360 cheap, buy the games cheap, feel like a winner and have a whole lot of fun.

Make sure that 360 is okay though! . No funny noises, good loading and all.

360's are fragile.

#38 Posted by FakeKisser (361 posts) -

I'm going to be buying a 360 in the near future, because I never bought one before. I primarily am a PC gamer, so I could get a lot of the same games on PC. However, there are some games like the Gears trilogy, Shadow Complex, Fable II, and others that I'd like to be able to play.

#39 Posted by Sergio (2181 posts) -

For $50, I'd say sure if you're interested in Halo, Fable, and Gears of War. If those three franchises don't do it for you, then no.

#40 Posted by billymagnum (837 posts) -

id say yes its worth it if you want the exclusive games. but honestly there's still so much unknown about those new consoles. there's always surprise hindrances and annoyances with new consoles. you can be playing something thats pretty solid by now with a deep library of proven great games, while you let everyone be the new hardware guinea pigs. down the road, maybe you'll have more knowledge that will help you pick a new console or *gasp* maybe no new console at all!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.