Less Than A Quarter Of XBOX Live Users Are Outside The US

• 110 results
#1 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

Having been an XBOX Live subscriber in the past and experiencing many, many insults from teenage Americans the news that less than a quarter of the subscribers to XBOX Live are outside of the USA kinda made me remember why I don't use the service anymore.

Now -- I can 100% appreciate that not all people should be tarred with the same brush but being a Brit I've played in many games on XBOX Live through my time and been insulted left, right and centre. Just for my accent. I've played in games where the Spanish and German have been totally ripped for using their native tongue. And we're not talking about friendly ripping - the word "n***er" pops up and various other horrible, horrible words.

Does it really bother me that these kids are calling me everything under the sun? Not really - but it isn't what I consider a particularly fun experience.

I love America - the whole country has me intrigued and I hope to visit sooner rather than later. I'm adult enough to realise that these kids on XBOX Live are just attention-seeking idiots hiding behind a screen but it is also (and should be a worry for Microsoft) that such a large demographic of the Live community is taken up by these people.

I for one haven't used Live for a while so I'm unsure what the situation is like on there these days but I know I spent my times on there feeling uncomfortable, constantly hitting the report button and having to mute everyone.

What concerns me is that with these constant idiots ruining the Live experience for worldwide players are Microsoft limiting their potential demographic?

#2 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

Wow, so not even 1/4 of XBL subscribers are from place other then the US? That is an EXTREMELY low number, and pretty much describes why XBL is full of ass wholes a lot of the time..

#3 Edited by shadowjak (456 posts) -
Sentry said:
"Wow, so not even 1/4 of XBL subscribers are from place other then the US? That is an EXTREMELY low number, and pretty much describes why XBL is full of ass wholes a lot of the time..
"

Lol that came off as a bit racist :P You do realize liek hai even I am american right?

But seriously, I find that odd, I see alot of mexican and british people on Gears. Hell I have quite a few british people on my friends list. They must be the only ones D:

EDIT: I actually red the wall of text, and no they are not ruining the marketing. Microsoft pointed out how popular live as gotten. I think it is creating the stereotype for online gaming, xbox jsut gets the heat of it. Live has changed a bit i've been running into more cool people than idiots.
#4 Posted by Bennyishere (1685 posts) -

This was horribly misread by TC. The article is about how Europeans are under 25%. That's all it says.

#5 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -
Bennyishere said:
"This was horribly misread by TC. The article is about how Europeans are under 25%. That's all it says.
"
Yeah I'm aware of that, I guess I exagerrated the point a little but let's remember that no one in the East plays the 360. Technically Australia is lumped under Europe (I'd presume) and I can't think of a bigger demographic other than the US and Europe.

Do many South Americans play XBOX 360? I'd hazard even with a misread it's still a good 70% of the XBOX Live users that are from the USA/Canada?
#6 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

Sorry, im not racist I was born, raised, and live in America! XD But honestly a LOT of 360 american gamers are pure white americans, thats not an offense, but the fact is that a majority of them are..

#7 Edited by TheJollyRajah (1576 posts) -

I know, many American kids are brats to tell you the truth. Whenever I visit another country... I don't know, the people seem much nicer than here in the US.

#8 Edited by Rowr (5824 posts) -

I enjoy finding those people.
I grief the living hell out of them.

Insulting Australia is Difficult. Insulting America is far to easy.

What pisses me off is the terrible and unavoidable lag.

If you pick your time for play it not to bad though, because Australias peak time is Americas off peak.

get2sammyb said:

"Bennyishere said:
"This was horribly misread by TC. The article is about how Europeans are under 25%. That's all it says.
"
Yeah I'm aware of that, I guess I exagerrated the point a little but let's remember that no one in the East plays the 360. Technically Australia is lumped under Europe (I'd presume) and I can't think of a bigger demographic other than the US and Europe.

Do many South Americans play XBOX 360? I'd hazard even with a misread it's still a good 70% of the XBOX Live users that are from the USA/Canada?
"

This is pretty easy to solve.

Load up Halo and look at the world map with all the blips.
#9 Edited by shadowjak (456 posts) -
Sentry said:
"Sorry, im not racist I was born, raised, and live in America! XD But honestly a LOT of 360 american gamers are pure white americans, thats not an offense, but the fact is that a majority of them are..
"
Well yeah, white people make up the majority, and if their are more americans on 360 then of course the majority will carry over :P Quite frankly, many americans(many= above a handful, not a racist I bet you all can count how many of these people you know) are self aborbed idiots that can't do anything because they are afraid of how it'll make them look, atleast XBL makes them feel more 'free.'

TheJollyRajah said:
"I know, many American kids are brats, to tell you the truth. Whenever I visit another country... I don't know, the people seem much nicer than here in the US."
Lol opposite for me. I visited Canada, I said 'hi how are you?' to a lady and she was all like 'typical tourist', I couldn't help but think 'what a b*tch..' I think every coutnry has their assholes and ni- nonassholes. I think in our own country, no matter what it is, it is just easier to pick out due to the fact we get to know more people. Unlike when you visit a country you meet one or two new people and the rest are payed to like you.
#10 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -
TheJollyRajah said:
"I know, many American kids are brats to tell you the truth. Whenever I visit another country... I don't know, the people seem much nicer than here in the US."
Replace 'seem' with 'are'. :P
#11 Posted by Peter_J (151 posts) -
get2sammyb said:
"I've played in many games on XBOX Live through my time and been insulted left, right and centre. Just for my accent. I've played in games where the Spanish and German have been totally ripped for using their native tongue. And we're not talking about friendly ripping - the word "n***er" pops up and various other horrible, horrible words.
Isn't that what the mute button is for? Although I'm not actually sure how many games have that feature.
#12 Edited by WilliamRLBaker (4779 posts) -

Okay Where are you geitng your information from that less then a quater of Xbox live users are none US residents? no what you have from that kotaku article is that Less then a quater of people on xbox live are EUROPEANS, I didn't know the rest of the world was included in europe.

You forget about Canadians, South americans, Australian, japanese, chinese...ect of course The majority of xbox live users are from the USA. but your numbers are off, the article speaks exclusively of european users, and does not include people from the rest of the world.

Kotaku has it wrong as well, The topic was how many users in europe did xbox live have, they then took it and said that less then a quater of users are from other countries on xbox live, when they dont have the data to back this up, or the words to back it up, they have one man in microsoft saying that a lil less then a quater of users on xbox live are EUROPEANS.

#13 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Small wonder considering Xbox Live Gold is extremely expensive in Europe. 
In the UK, 1 year membership of XBL is close to $80.
In Germany, it's $95.

#14 Posted by shadowjak (456 posts) -
Peter_J said:
"get2sammyb said:
"I've played in many games on XBOX Live through my time and been insulted left, right and centre. Just for my accent. I've played in games where the Spanish and German have been totally ripped for using their native tongue. And we're not talking about friendly ripping - the word "n***er" pops up and various other horrible, horrible words.
Isn't that what the mute button is for? Although I'm not actually sure how many games have that feature.
"

All of them, go to your recent players and mute...
#15 Edited by PunkBeatz (32 posts) -

To be fair, slightly less than one quarter Europeans isn't a bad figure at all in a continent that leans towards its traditional favouritism of Playstation. I hear loads of fellow Brits on XBL, and Americans, Japanese, Italians, Germans etc. Those figures (if they are true) don't really affect the people you meet while gaming, there's always a variety and I have no problem with Americans being the dominant group. My lady is American (that doesn't mean she dominates me by the way *ahem*) and they aren't especially rude or racist compared to any other nationalities.

I've heard quite a few racists slurs on XBL in the past, from all kinds of people. You could attribute it to the fact that people are anonymous and feel like they can get away with it, or you can just realise that it's a reflection of society. XBL doesn't breed racist, arsehole teens - the world does. Instead of hitting report buttons and muting players, the rest of the community should come back with some defence for whoever's being picked on. I'm not a rose-sniffin', Disney-lovin' fella, but I do think it's disgusting when other players sit silent as someone else in the game recieves a barrage of insults.

People just need to stick up for each other.

#16 Posted by Alexander (1724 posts) -

The best thing to do is build up a friends list and play with people you've come to know and enjoy playing with. Idiots come from all over, but to be honest I can't say I've ever got that much flak for my British accent, more-so questions as to where I'm from and some people thinking I'm Australian....

#17 Posted by lordofultima (6270 posts) -

This is personally a bit offensive to me, as an American. There's plenty of things I can say about men of other countries, but I choose not to. You should heed your words a bit more.

#18 Posted by Termite (2398 posts) -
TheJollyRajah said:
"I know, many American kids are brats to tell you the truth. Whenever I visit another country... I don't know, the people seem much nicer than here in the US."
In Japan kids scream more often then American kids.

Believe me, Japanese kids are no better than American kids.
#19 Posted by NotaStalker (172 posts) -

I HAS XBOX!!!

#20 Edited by Rowr (5824 posts) -
lordofultima said:
"This is personally a bit offensive to me, as an American. There's plenty of things I can say about men of other countries, but I choose not to. You should heed your words a bit more.
"
If some one states as fact that they have found Americans to be more hostile and racist. It is fact. I have experienced Americans being Racist on Xbox live many times. I cant remember a single time when I was with Australians and there was the same result. This is experience not opinion.
To the point where the room is full of quiet polite Australians, and there is a single American hollering all sorts of crap. We are all like WTF?

That does not mean you should take offense to it. To be fair Americans also make up the bigger population, and for as many idiots i have heard, i have had conversations with decent people.
#21 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -

Explains all the bad connections i get

#22 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -
Termite said:
"TheJollyRajah said:
In Japan kids scream more often then American kids.

Believe me, Japanese kids are no better than American kids.
"

Yeah they scream... but not "FUCK YOU MUTHERFUCKA ASSHOLE BITCH CUNT SONOFABITCH AHAAHAHAHAAARRGG!!!!"

Instead they yell annoying pokemon shit or something.
#23 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -
WilliamRLBaker said:
"Okay Where are you geitng your information from that less then a quater of Xbox live users are none US residents? no what you have from that kotaku article is that Less then a quater of people on xbox live are EUROPEANS, I didn't know the rest of the world was included in europe.

You forget about Canadians, South americans, Australian, japanese, chinese...ect of course The majority of xbox live users are from the USA. but your numbers are off, the article speaks exclusively of european users, and does not include people from the rest of the world.

Kotaku has it wrong as well, The topic was how many users in europe did xbox live have, they then took it and said that less then a quater of users are from other countries on xbox live, when they dont have the data to back this up, or the words to back it up, they have one man in microsoft saying that a lil less then a quater of users on xbox live are EUROPEANS.
"
Like I said earlier - I know I misquoted that but the main point I was getting at was well over half of the entirety of XBOX Live are Americans and many, many, MANY of which are irritating and downright insulting kids who have put/and will continue to put many people off the service. It's not Microsoft's fault but it sure as hell is not doing their potential audience figures any good at all.

If you're a typical American then you have no idea of the type of abuse an accent gets you on XBOX Live but I'm sure other guys will back me up.

It's unwarranted and it's just damn uneccessary. But it's unavoidable. And the dude who said "that's what your mute button is for" my response is -- muting every dude, in every game and reporting several of them is NOT the answer.

But I sure as hell don't know what is. All I know is I myself have been put off XBOX Live because of this issue.
#24 Posted by suneku (2997 posts) -

this is why the only time I use a mic is for private chats with my friends.

#25 Posted by MsCortana (429 posts) -
lordofultima said:
"This is personally a bit offensive to me, as an American. There's plenty of things I can say about men of other countries, but I choose not to. You should heed your words a bit more.
"
I feel the same way, as I take great pride in the fact that I'm American.   I will never understand, how you can stereotype an entire population of people by a few poor experiences on XBL....it is by no means intellectually sound.  I receive my fair share of flack on XBL, does that hinder my experience....NO!  I'm there to game and I'll be damned if I'm going to let some uneducated jerk hinder my experience. 

#26 Posted by PunkBeatz (32 posts) -

Good call

#27 Posted by xplodedd (1316 posts) -

i didnt see that// thats a bit rascal tho

#28 Posted by 10MP (311 posts) -

bunch of hypocrites and racists in here

#29 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -
MsCortana said:
"lordofultima said:
"
I feel the same way, as I take great pride in the fact that I'm American.   I will never understand, how you can stereotype an entire population of people by a few poor experiences on XBL....it is by no means intellectually sound.  I receive my fair share of flack on XBL, does that hinder my experience....NO!  I'm there to game and I'll be damned if I'm going to let some uneducated jerk hinder my experience. 

"
I think you guys conveniently skipped over a few of the points I made in the original post. I totally understand that these guys are not reflective of your country or your culture.

They are representative of the XBOX Live experience though.

I'm not looking for a war or enemies here -- I'm just telling it like it is.
#30 Posted by 10MP (311 posts) -
get2sammyb said:
"MsCortana said:
"lordofultima said:
"

"
I think you guys conveniently skipped over a few of the points I made in the original post. I totally understand that these guys are not reflective of your country or your culture.

"
you mean like a racist
#31 Posted by kajankua (273 posts) -

no wonder i keep meeting 'mericans
i havent met people whining about my accent coz i dont really have one.but i HAVE met a few idiots, but you know.. its all part of the online gaming deal, idiots are everywhere and when they are given an audience+anonymity? all hell breaks lose

#32 Posted by MsCortana (429 posts) -
get2sammyb said:

"
No, I read your post throughly and re-read it actually.  I'm well aware of your points, I just believe it foolish to say these experiences are "representative" of the XBOX live experience.  It is not!  That is not a valid statement, unless you can provide a link to some hard data that will back your statement up.  Can you?  Are there stats that say X number of live users are Stereotype A?  A few poor experiences does not warrant a collective representation of an experience.  How many people have you met via live? 1000....10,000....now out of those players how many were ignorant jerks?  I mean come on.....there are millions of people gaming, for you to isolate a few and then say they represent the live experience is simply absurd.
#33 Edited by Cirdain (3117 posts) -

There's one guy in Africa playing Halo 3

Most On-line Halo 3 player are in America and England-me

#34 Edited by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -
MsCortana said:
"get2sammyb said:

"
No, I read your post throughly and re-read it actually.  I'm well aware of your points, I just believe it foolish to say these experiences are "representative" of the XBOX live experience.  It is not!  That is not a valid statement, unless you can provide a link to some hard data that will back your statement up.  Can you?  Are there stats that say X number of live users are Stereotype A?  A few poor experiences does not warrant a collective representation of an experience.  How many people have you met via live? 1000....10,000....now out of those players how many were ignorant jerks?  I mean come on.....there are millions of people gaming, for you to isolate a few and then say they represent the live experience is simply absurd.
"
To represent is to: "serve as a means of expressing something"; "point out or draw attention"; "bring forward and present to the mind" -- I left my XBOX Live experience with a negative taste in my mouth and a disappointment because after 2 whole years on the service I'd be insulted so much I simply didn't want to use it any more.

Now regardless of hard evidence or stats that is FACT in relation to my XBOX Live experience. Obviously that makes me a racist.
#35 Posted by MsCortana (429 posts) -
get2sammyb said:

Now regardless of hard evidence or stats that is FACT in relation to my XBOX Live experience. Obviously that makes me a racist.
"
I did not call you a racist, please refrain from putting such phrases in my mouth.  If you lack any evidence, and you can not give us stats of your own experience, then yes, you are being stereotypical.  That my friend is pure FACT!  You clearly stated that through "your" experience, Americans have insulted you to the point where you discontinued your service.  I just wonder how many there were....10, 20 or 100.....and out of those, how many were children?  Children will be children especially when you hand them anonymity and a microphone.   I think it is poor judgment on your end to stereotype our entire population.  I can assure you, that I nor anyone affiliated with my union, or anyone I know that games, acts in a manner that would be conducive with unsportsmanlike like behavior.  So, yes, I take offense when you generalize in the manner you have in the forum.

It is unfortunate, that you would let someone else ruin an experience for you.  In my eyes, I would never let anyone inhibit me from doing a damn thing. 
#36 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

You know it is fact that americans gamers are more A) racist, B) use cuss words, C) nasty people.

Who says all american gamers are like this? No one. But there are more of them then there are in Japan, Europe, or wherever else in the world. Sorry if that offends you but its just the truth that in america kids and teenagers or more of this nature, just cussing and whatnot...

Funny how everyones being all 'constructive' about defnding 'their people', whether it be from Europe or the US. Don't get your panties in a bunch people.

#37 Posted by OGCartman (4354 posts) -
Sentry said:
"Wow, so not even 1/4 of XBL subscribers are from place other then the US? That is an EXTREMELY low number, and pretty much describes why XBL is full of ass wholes a lot of the time..
"
Lol, there are alot of asses, i admit.
#38 Posted by Guiltyspark (554 posts) -

lol people think that assholes are exclusive to XBL alone?

wrong

#39 Posted by MsCortana (429 posts) -
Sentry said:
"You know it is fact that americans gamers are more A) racist, B) use cuss words, C) nasty people.

But there are more of them then there are in Japan, Europe, or wherever else in the world.
"
Now that's just absurd...and what exactly do you base that ill-conceived comment from.  If it is fact, then show me the hard data....which you can not provide, because it is merely "your" opinion.  Give me a break....
#40 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -
Guiltyspark said:
"lol people think that assholes are exclusive to XBL alone?

wrong "

Hell no lol, they are everywhere! But more on XBL, thats for sure. Probably because it appeals to rich white 10 year olds who have dirty mouths.
#41 Posted by MsCortana (429 posts) -
Sentry said:
" Probably because it appeals to rich white 10 year olds who have dirty mouths.
"
Yet another display of blatant stereotyping....
#42 Posted by TwoLines (2826 posts) -

Kids are kids- allways mean to annybody that is diffrent.

#43 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

How is that a stereotype? There is a big difference with what people in here are saying, and what you are imagining them to say. The 360 does appeal to american white children, many of them have a potty mouth. Who said all american children are rich, white, or cuss? No one.

#44 Posted by Snix (7 posts) -

I'm pretty sure America isn't a race :S

#45 Posted by MsCortana (429 posts) -
Sentry said:
"How is that a stereotype? There is a big difference with what people in here are saying, and what you are imagining them to say. The 360 does appeal to american white children, many of them have a potty mouth. Who said all american children are rich, white, or cuss? No one.
"
Shall I quote it again....

Sentry said:
 Probably because it appeals to rich white 10 year olds who have dirty mouths.
"
.....that is a stereotype...Show me the demographic that says the 360 appeals to rich which 10 year olds...

#46 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

Majority of 360 owners are younger, get on XBl and you will see many are children. 360 was expensive, ie the rick reference. White? Well because majority of the people in AMERICA are white. And the dirty mouths are proven if you just get on XBL, lol..

Not being a stereotype or racist, its just fact that a lot of people on XBL are kids who are always cussing and being racist snobs.

#47 Posted by Mourne (789 posts) -

That's not a low number at all. 25% of what, a few million subscribers?

#48 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

MsCortana is just playing devil's advocate in this thread. The mere point is I know many people in my neck of the woods that have been put off playing XBOX Live because of these few (but still a large majority) of complete idiots. I'm not the first and I won't be the last.

The point I'm merely trying to make is that SURELY this limits Microsoft's potential demographic without them resolving said problem. I know of several who have given up on the service because they simply have had enough of idiots on there screaming down the microphone, insulting and being general knobs.

I for one can deal with being openly insulted but I don't think I should have to spend my leisure time dealing with it.

It's the fact of the service I'm afraid and MsCortana I'd thank you for not trying to patronise me in the future. I see the points you're making and I understand you're trying to defend your fellow countrymen but please understand that this is not a threat on your country or your people -- more a loaded question based upon mine and many other non-US citizen's experiences on the service. Hit up the Kotaku comments page for an incite from any other disgruntled gamers from across the world. Idiots are a fact of life and will cause trouble worldwide and sadly there are plenty of these ruining the leisure time of many on XBOX by swearing, insulting and straight up attacking others. Maybe the fact that I've never received such hate off players from other countries is because there simply aren't enough but I'm not making this up like you seem to be implying. I'm just basing everything off my own experience.

#49 Posted by Cynical_M (383 posts) -

Yeah it fulls of jerks......very sorry...

#50 Posted by MsCortana (429 posts) -
get2sammyb said:
. Maybe the fact that I've never received such hate off players from other countries is because there simply aren't enough but I'm not making this up like you seem to be implying. I'm just basing everything off my own experience.
"
I do not remember implying that you were making anything up.  I'm merely stating it is unfair, unjust to assume that our entire population of gamers is composed of jerks.  Period!!  The fact remains, this is clearly your opinion...that's unfortunate, but it is still yours. 

Sentry said:
"Majority of 360 owners are younger, get on XBl and you will see many are children.

Not being a stereotype or racist, its just fact that a lot of people on XBL are kids who are always cussing and being racist snobs.
"
Uh...I'm on XBL every evening, in many lobbies and perhaps within the 100's of people I game with there is one child ranting about god knows what.  Do I hear slurs.....every now and again.  Hell that's normal, when you consider live is a melting pot of sorts. My point, to reiterate, as we have digressed, is that not all American gamers are a-wholes, as one of you so eloquently put.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.