looking for a USB flash drive (16 gb) for my xbox

#1 Posted by zombie_bigdaddy (131 posts) -

Does anybody have any good suggestions? I'd like to get a competent one for less than $40

#3 Posted by Sin4profit (2869 posts) -

#4 Posted by zombie_bigdaddy (131 posts) -
#5 Edited by PenguinDust (12414 posts) -
#6 Posted by zombie_bigdaddy (131 posts) -
@Sin4profit:  hey, thanks i'll check that one out. This also confirms the reviews for the sandisk drive, super slow.
#7 Posted by zombie_bigdaddy (131 posts) -
#8 Posted by BirdkeeperDan (400 posts) -

I bought  a Patriot Xporter XT Boost 16gb a while back for my xbox and was thoroughly disappointed. Everything took at least twice the time it would on the hard drive, and this one was supposedly one of the fastest in terms speed.  I did test the device on the PC and it was relatively close to the test statistics I read.

I'm not sure why you need it, but it's no replacement for hard drive space.    I'd say a usb is only good enough for saves if you move them around a lot. And you shouldn't need 16gb for that.

#9 Edited by JustinSane311 (335 posts) -

I've been using a Kingston 16 GB USB Drive for about 6 months and haven't had a problem yet.  I purchased one off of Amazon for about $25-$30.

#10 Posted by zombie_bigdaddy (131 posts) -
@BirdkeeperDan said:
" I bought  a Patriot Xporter XT Boost 16gb a while back for my xbox and was thoroughly disappointed. Everything took at least twice the time it would on the hard drive, and this one was supposedly one of the fastest in terms speed.  I did test the device on the PC and it was relatively close to the test statistics I read. I'm not sure why you need it, but it's no replacement for hard drive space.    I'd say a usb is only good enough for saves if you move them around a lot. And you shouldn't need 16gb for that. "
Well, I own an older 20GB  Xbox so im constantly running out space but i dont want to pay $100 for the 60gb microsoft sells. i only want one so i can play my arcade games from until i can get an xbox slim.
#11 Posted by BirdkeeperDan (400 posts) -

I guessed that was it as I had the same dilemma a while back. What I did after wasting the money on the USB was to buy a 120gb hard drive used of a classified site. I got mine for $45 but there were tons of them for $60. Lots of people have elites that burned out, or have upgraded hard drives. I'd say classifieds are a good way to go if your old enough, I wouldn't reward Microsoft for gouging consumers on hard drives.

#12 Posted by zombie_bigdaddy (131 posts) -
@BirdkeeperDan:  In what condition was the hd when you got it?  because i dont want to buy somrthing that could potentially stop working in a few months.
#13 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -
#14 Posted by BirdkeeperDan (400 posts) -
@zombie_bigdaddy:  

I got one and later one for my brother. They both function properly and where in good condition.  Both came with stuff I had to delete myself, but I got a few free DLC and themes out of it so that evens itself out.

The hard drive under the plastic are from the WD Scorpio Blue line of products. There are quality drives and should last longer than a xbox. Provided you the person you get it from is being honest, which I think it pretty likely (at least where I am), you likely won't have a problem.  

You would need any old usb drive to transfer your saves; you can redownload DLC and games if they don't fit on said usb. 
#15 Posted by zombie_bigdaddy (131 posts) -
@BirdkeeperDan:  your right, i've been looking online and i found some 60gb and 120gb that sound like good deals. thanks for the suggestion, it would have never occurred to me :D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.