Microsoft announces it is working on next Xbox.

• 127 results
#1 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Although obvious, the next Xbox's existence was never confirmed until today by way of statement inside the company. We can't know for sure, but something tells me the next E3 will be a big one. With a very draft like image published as well, and if true, confirms not only the next gen system, but also when it will be announced. So what do you guys think? Is this big, is it too soon, or is it not even news worthy?

#2 Posted by pizzapotomus (46 posts) -

It has been about 6 years. Probably about time to start thinking about the neXtBox.

#3 Posted by zombie2011 (4982 posts) -

Nothing will be shown next E3 they are probably a couple months in to R&D right now.

#4 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@zombie2011 said:

Nothing will be shown next E3 they are probably a couple months in to R&D right now.

They probably started working on it in 2006, they should be pretty far by now.

#5 Posted by BaneFireLord (2949 posts) -

@pizzapotomus said:

It has been about 6 years. Probably about time to start thinking about the neXtBox.

If they call it the neXtBox, I will in all probability hang myself.

#6 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@BaneFireLord said:

@pizzapotomus said:

I lol'd

#7 Posted by benpicko (2010 posts) -

As long as the graphical change is as big as XBOX to 360, then yay.

#8 Posted by pizzapotomus (46 posts) -

@BaneFireLord said:

@pizzapotomus said:

Yes, it was a regrettable decision on my part to do that.

#9 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@benpicko said:

As long as the graphical change is as big as XBOX to 360, then yay.

I'm thinking launch games will have the same sort of tech of Battlefield 3 or higher, i hope at least.

EDIT: PC version of BF3 i mean.

#10 Posted by TomA (2531 posts) -

With PC's being so much more powerful than consoles at this point, consoles just can't keep up. I'm not surprised. It's cool though. Maybe they'll pull an Apple and announce the new console is coming out in Fall 2012 and that Halo 4 will be a launch title?

On second thought, probably not.

#11 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

Better graphics isn't gonna cut it this time, bet on that.

#12 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@Lunar_Aura said:

What will?

#13 Posted by HistoryInRust (6331 posts) -
@pizzapotomus said:

the neXtBox.

Shut up, shut up, shut up.
#14 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

It's possible, but with how well the 360 has started to do, I don't know why they would want to announce a new one so soon.
These companies put huge amounts of money into R&D every year.  People are always working on the next thing, that doesn't have to mean it's imminent.  I still want to say 2013 is the new console year.

#15 Posted by zombie2011 (4982 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver said:

@zombie2011 said:

No they didn't.

They were working on the 360 still, look at how far the 360 has come since launch with the S, Kinect, XBL, and the Dashboard. They are making a next console to expand on these ideas so why would they start R&D in 06 knowing how much things would change in 7 years.

#16 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

I look forward to playing the Xbox 420.

#17 Posted by DeF (4921 posts) -
@BestUsernameEver said:

@Lunar_Aura said:

What will?

sharing photos on facebook!
#18 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@DeF said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@Lunar_Aura said:

What will?

sharing photos on facebook!

NIIICE, sign me up son. I'll take two.

#19 Posted by SammydesinasNL (840 posts) -

Finally, I'm actually starting to feel the hardware is really limiting progress.

#20 Posted by RE_Player1 (7563 posts) -

We aren't going to see a new Xbox or Playstation next E3. 360s are still selling and more and more features are being rolled out, why would Microsoft want to risk everything just to get out ahead? Look at what happened to Nintendo and the 3DS and what will probably happen to the WiiU.

#21 Posted by coakroach (2492 posts) -

Solid state memory perhaps?

#22 Posted by WEB_War4 (111 posts) -

There's a big tv in that picture. Definitely bigger than Will's.

#23 Posted by TooWalrus (13232 posts) -

I don't want to get hype for something that's soo far away.

#24 Posted by Vestigial_Man (311 posts) -

With the WiiU announced, I don't think Sony or Microsoft can wait much further than next E3 to announce their new hardware or risk the Wii situation all over again. However companies have a habit of not taking the most logical course of action.

#25 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5301 posts) -
@msavo said:
We aren't going to see a new Xbox or Playstation next E3. 360s are still selling and more and more features are being rolled out, why would Microsoft want to risk everything just to get out ahead? Look at what happened to Nintendo and the 3DS and what will probably happen to the WiiU.
Look at what happened with the 360 and how that was released at least a year ahead of the game!  Though times may have changed.   

I think the problem with the 3DS was that it barely has any games even up till now as well as being an expensive handheld device before the price drop.  It's also a handheld device in the world of iPhones.  WiiU isn't even out yet so we can't say.
#26 Posted by gamb1t (965 posts) -

who cares its the year for pc, im building a new rig to play battlefield 3, diablo 3, guild wars 2, and tribes ascend. the longer this takes the happier i am. then again my pc will be able to handle the games put out for xbo also.

#27 Edited by countinhallways (632 posts) -

My wish, graphically speaking, for the next console generation is something of a simple one. High stable frame rates, high resolution (not up scaled), no screen tearing and some decent anti-aliasing. Boosh.

Seriously, incredible textures and assets mean very little when an awful frame rate or overuse of motion blur make a game unplayable to me. And as people try and push their games further and further this generation, they seem to be sacrificing these basic elements all the more frequently. I am looking in your direction Fable and Halo games. And yours various other examples...

#28 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Good, I'm getting tired of the consoles holding back PC. I can use this laptop for the rest of this gen and start building a rig once the next gen ramps up.

#29 Posted by zudthespud (3283 posts) -

I really hope it's not called the 720. That would be a terrible name. 720 isn't a good looking number. 360 has three similar shaped numbers, it's aesthetically pleasing and it doesn't include any plosive letters. Say, "freeshixty" like you're Sean Connery and bask in the smoothness. Now, Seven-Twenty. It's uncomfortable, contains an extra syllable. It's cumbersome. At least Wii U, while a dumb name, is quick and simple.

#30 Posted by SamFo (1535 posts) -

neXbox is a great name!

#31 Posted by EmuLeader (558 posts) -

@zombie2011 said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@zombie2011 said:

No they didn't.

They were working on the 360 still, look at how far the 360 has come since launch with the S, Kinect, XBL, and the Dashboard. They are making a next console to expand on these ideas so why would they start R&D in 06 knowing how much things would change in 7 years.

They actually probably did. It's not like they would devote their entire company to one thing. I bet while they had most of the company focused on the 360, they've had R&D working on new development since its release. That's always how the major console companies work. You're right that they would not know how it would end up in 7 years, but that's the advantage of working on both at the same time. Whenever a favorable change is made to the 360, they can learn and try to apply it to the next one. Plus, just because R&D starts working on something, it doesn't mean they know exactly what they are going to make how it will all work. Its call Research and Development for a reason.

#32 Posted by demonknightinuyasha (467 posts) -

I'd rather they call it the neXtBox than the xbox 720 >_>;;;; Fuck it, they should just call it the dolphin.

#33 Posted by amomjc (977 posts) -

@Lunar_Aura said:

Uh, yes it will, that has been what sells every single time, pretty graphics and games. I cannot think of another reason for the Xbox to 360 other than integrated internet support and larger disc size. Cynical Cathy is still Cynical.

Anyway, does anyone else think that the name will change drastically with this next iteration? I think the Playstation will either go a different route than PS4 or Microsoft will abandon Xbox in some sort of way for a different name. Kind of how Nintendo is the N64, Gamecube, and than the Wii. Who knows though.

#34 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5301 posts) -
@csoup said:

@Lunar_Aura said:

Uh, yes it will, that has been what sells every single time, pretty graphics and games. I cannot think of another reason for the Xbox to 360 other than integrated internet support and larger disc size. Cynical Cathy is still Cynical.

Anyway, does anyone else think that the name will change drastically with this next iteration? I think the Playstation will either go a different route than PS4 or Microsoft will abandon Xbox in some sort of way for a different name. Kind of how Nintendo is the N64, Gamecube, and than the Wii. Who knows though.

Xbox will more than likely be the name they stay with seeing as how hard they pushed for it to be a brand.  The next Playstation will probably have Playstation in the name.  Nintendo's thing is that the name Nintendo is always tied to the name of the console.  People call it Nintendo or say Nintendo Wii or Nintendo Gamecube.  Not as many people go Sony Playstation or Microsoft Xbox.
#35 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

@SamFo said:

neXbox is a great name!
#36 Posted by GoofyGoober (937 posts) -

Good to think ahead, but I am still enjoying my 360 and all its cool features. No need to rush anything new just yet.

#37 Posted by bibamatt (1089 posts) -

I honestly think they can get away with calling it the Xbox 4. You know how they called it the 360 so that it didn't sound 'last-gen' compared to the PS3? Well they've now had three incarnations of Xbox... if you include the Windows Phone 7 Xbox game service. And they're pushing Windows Phone HARD, so it's not like they don't think highly of it.

They'd get a lot of groans, but I honestly think they could announce it as Xbox 4 and people would just go along with it.

#38 Posted by Evilsbane (4643 posts) -

@csoup said:

@Lunar_Aura said:

I highly doubt those brands will go anywhere in the near future.

#39 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Achievements better carry over.

#40 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5301 posts) -
@Afroman269 said:

@SamFo said:

KineXbox is a name!
#41 Posted by Korwin (2888 posts) -

Unsurprising news is unsurprising.

#42 Posted by awe_stuck (800 posts) -

I was hopin next Xbox would come out when DX12 was released

#43 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Afroman269 said:

@SamFo said:

KineXbox is a name!

Fuck me. GOLD!

#44 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -
@csoup

@Lunar_Aura said:

The Wii doesn't have Xbox 360 graphics and it fucking embarrassed both Microsoft and Sony for years.
#45 Posted by Brendan (7832 posts) -

If the new machine is not called the neXtbox then I will kill a kitten. I'm waiting, Microsoft...

#46 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

My Xbox RROD so I plan on playing PS3 until this sucker comes out.

#47 Posted by tingham (14 posts) -

That they will be updating the graphics to be at least 2x of the current platform goes, I think, without saying. The bigger picture here is what they are (or aren't) doing in the sense of home entertainment devices. The recent moves to integrate television services into the XBOX to me indicate a definite move toward the "all-in-one" "convergence device" and Microsoft is definitely one of those companies that thinks it can do digital convergence with their big fat meat fingers.

It will be fun to see them try for it; and if the success of the platform of the 360 is any evidence, they'll get it mostly right. Either way consumers benefit from having more capable hardware to play games on. Microsoft isn't after-all a Nintendo.

#48 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -
@pizzapotomus said:

neXtBox

That is the best name I have ever heard for anything ever.
#49 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

@csoup said:

@Lunar_Aura said:

You honestly think that if the next Xbox is a functionally similar 360 with much better graphics that it will sell at a rate desirable by Microsoft?

This generation, as Hallinel pointed out, showed that the masses don't really care about the best graphics for the most part, they just want something that is fun and the producers want to make it addictive for increased revenue potential via microtransactions or whichever business model at hand.

I wasn't being cynical with my comment, either. If I wanted to be cynical I'd have said that the Xbox's main goal was to be a trojan horse for the living room; a marketing pyramid scheme with the side effect of "hardcore" gaming. I don't wanna dig in that can of worms so nevermind.

#50 Posted by Bulby33 (599 posts) -

I'm happy about this. PCs are starting to out perform consoles by a wide margin. 

Also, multiple disks on the 360 are starting to annoy me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.