Microsoft is quietly rebuilding their first party talent

#1 Edited by 617_jbug (343 posts) -

We know about 343 and the amazing talent that works their but it seems Microsoft is also picking up talents for their first party games.

Sten Huebler (lead game designer of Crysis 2) is currently working at Microsoft Vancouver. Rumors are the game he is working on is a Space Horror FPS.

Alex Liu (Game Designer at Naughty Dog and worked on Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us. He did the Rough Seas and Caravan mission in UC3) left for Microsoft in May

Also news has come out that Bioshock Infinite Combat Design Director and A.I. Lead has left Irrational for Microsoft this month

Seems like Microsoft is gearing up to launch their next gen consoles with first party support.

#2 Posted by laserbolts (5311 posts) -

I certainly hope they are. As of right now their exclusives library is pretty sad. Thank god for XBLA is all I can say.

#3 Posted by procrasturbate (277 posts) -

They had an awesome portfolio of studios at their disposal, what happened?

#4 Posted by csl316 (8124 posts) -

Thank god, their small stable lately's been troubling.

#5 Posted by Firecreed17 (52 posts) -

@procrasturbate: Kinect took most of those studios over.

#6 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -

well it's about time. it'd be good to get something other than halo and gears. i like the games but something new

#7 Posted by Elyk247 (366 posts) -

Good. All they have now is Turn 10, Twisted Pixel, and 343 Industries. I know they have more studios, but Rare is ass, Epic isn't even theirs, Lionhead has lost all of their lead talent, and pretty much all Kinect games are garbage, save for a few.

#8 Posted by ianmac (36 posts) -

I think is great news but they need to get a move on if they are going to have some exclusives for their next gen console.

#9 Posted by BonOrbitz (2161 posts) -

I hope this is true and that their exclusives will be numerous, creative and different from space marine shooters. I prefer multiplatform games on the 360, but Sony's first party and downloadable exclusives put Microsoft to shame.

#10 Posted by Dogma (943 posts) -

This is really nice news if it's all correct. MS had something really good going a while and then suddenly they just closed one studio after another. Sad. Just Sad.

But....seriously...a space horror FPS? Sound kind of familiar.

#11 Posted by Snail (8580 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

I certainly hope they are. As of right now their exclusives library is pretty sad. Thank god for XBLA is all I can say.

Even those end up being released on Steam and/or PSN.

#12 Posted by believer258 (11642 posts) -

@Dogma said:

This is really nice news if it's all correct. MS had something really good going a while and then suddenly they just closed one studio after another. Sad. Just Sad.

But....seriously...a space horror FPS? Sound kind of familiar.

I'm not complaining. I like space horror FPS's. At least one advantage of space-horror shooters is that they tend to be single player focused, or at least have strong single player components.

#13 Posted by procrasturbate (277 posts) -

@Firecreed17: but even before kinect happened, they had ties with Bioware, Bungie, Ensemble among others.

#14 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

Too bad Microsoft wont be the first console I look at buying next generation. Actually that's not all that bad.

#15 Posted by procrasturbate (277 posts) -

@Elyk247: Really? Didn't know Twisted Pixel was Microsoft's.

#16 Posted by spiceninja (3055 posts) -

Now if only they'd let Rare out of their cage and let them make something worthwhile.

#17 Edited by kpaadet (410 posts) -

Wow 3 hole people!? Its an industry, developers move to different studios all the time. I will care when MS makes a new studio like 343, but hopefully one thats not forced to make the same kinda game until they grow old.

#18 Posted by xyzygy (9895 posts) -

Good. The first part support is terrible right now, though Forza Horizon and Halo 4 do look amazing.

#19 Edited by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

If they still want money for online gaming with their next console then I'm switching to Steam or Sony completely. Hate the direction they took with XBL, Kinect and their 1st party development. Even PC exclusives (a shitload of great indie games) are more attractive to me than another Gears, another Halo and all that Kinect garbage.

#20 Posted by big_jon (5709 posts) -

Good to hear, I would be so damn happy if Rare was not dead, and actually released a new and awesome game, be it a new IP, or Banjo 4.

#21 Posted by phantomzxro (1565 posts) -

True i can't help but feel all they are really doing is finding a few new shooter IPs to replace gears as it's coming to an end sooner or later and something to bounce off of halo 4, 5, and 6 so they have something other then halo for a shooter each year or two.

They could also be gearing up for some new IPs for the launch of the next Xbox. I just hope they keep it up because i feel they have a Nintendo attitude right now of they can live off of first party games and xbox already leads the pack in 3rd party games, so not much need to develop exclusives that don't often bring in a return.

I hope that's not the case because i feel it will hurt them in the long term like how it affected Nintendo. Granted Xbox is in a better position then Nintendo in terms of 3rd party turnover from gamers. But Nintendo is a bit of a wild card with Wii u it will sell a ton but will it have staying power or will it have the wii boom in sales. Sony is a bit of the sleeping dragon as it could wake up and take the lead if they play their cards right. Sony has made some smart moves that can put them in a good position next gen. That is if Sony wake up and takes the lead as they often miss the mark on these things.

#22 Posted by Cincaid (2953 posts) -

Cool news, interesting exclusives is definitely not Microsoft's strong suite nowadays. And if they had half a brain they'd secure some major (or promising) Japanese studios to get a better hold of the Japanese market and similar fans in the west.

#23 Posted by Rotnac (615 posts) -

This would be good news. With the loss of some exclusives like Mass Effect and the lack of new exclusives over the years, I would much rather save up money for a new PC than a next gen Xbox. Steam deals make Microsoft's Rewards program look like a complete joke.

It's too bad that Rare today is not Rare of the 90s. I'd love to see a reboot or sequel to Jet Force Gemini; or maybe they can give another shot and make a good sequel to Perfect Dark. Something completely original wouldn't be bad either.

#24 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

@procrasturbate said:

They had an awesome portfolio of studios at their disposal, what happened?

EA bought/merged with/acquired or whatever it was one of them.

#25 Posted by BoG (5181 posts) -

It looks like we'll have a couple of high quality FPS games =/

#26 Posted by lumzi (1 posts) -

MS started with a lot of original IP's in a lot of genre's this gen but not all them worked (most didn't)

They had:

Kameo, Mass Effect, Blue Dragon, Gears of War, Lost Odyssey, Ninety Nine Nights, Alan Wake, Crackdown, Infinite Undiscovery and Viva Pinata.

I think it is a little unfair to claim that they didn't try for variety. They failed but they tried.

Yes, they have been a little dry of late but I've had the suspicion for a while now that they are regrouping for next gen. They've had Turn 10 for some time, and now they've built up the promising 343i. The moves by these individuals add to this suspicion. Sure, they are only 3 or so people but they are key people on big, high quality games. Of course, this could all be wishful thinking but time will tell.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.