Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Microsoft is quietly rebuilding their first party talent

617_jbug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By 617_jbug

We know about 343 and the amazing talent that works their but it seems Microsoft is also picking up talents for their first party games.

Sten Huebler (lead game designer of Crysis 2) is currently working at Microsoft Vancouver. Rumors are the game he is working on is a Space Horror FPS.

Alex Liu (Game Designer at Naughty Dog and worked on Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us. He did the Rough Seas and Caravan mission in UC3) left for Microsoft in May

Also news has come out that Bioshock Infinite Combat Design Director and A.I. Lead has left Irrational for Microsoft this month

Seems like Microsoft is gearing up to launch their next gen consoles with first party support.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By laserbolts

I certainly hope they are. As of right now their exclusives library is pretty sad. Thank god for XBLA is all I can say.

procrasturbate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By procrasturbate

They had an awesome portfolio of studios at their disposal, what happened?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By csl316

Thank god, their small stable lately's been troubling.

firecreed17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By firecreed17

@procrasturbate: Kinect took most of those studios over.

kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kermoosh

well it's about time. it'd be good to get something other than halo and gears. i like the games but something new

elyk247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 25

#7  Edited By elyk247

Good. All they have now is Turn 10, Twisted Pixel, and 343 Industries. I know they have more studios, but Rare is ass, Epic isn't even theirs, Lionhead has lost all of their lead talent, and pretty much all Kinect games are garbage, save for a few.

ianmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ianmac

I think is great news but they need to get a move on if they are going to have some exclusives for their next gen console.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By BonOrbitz

I hope this is true and that their exclusives will be numerous, creative and different from space marine shooters. I prefer multiplatform games on the 360, but Sony's first party and downloadable exclusives put Microsoft to shame.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dogma

This is really nice news if it's all correct. MS had something really good going a while and then suddenly they just closed one studio after another. Sad. Just Sad.

But....seriously...a space horror FPS? Sound kind of familiar.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Snail

@laserbolts said:

I certainly hope they are. As of right now their exclusives library is pretty sad. Thank god for XBLA is all I can say.

Even those end up being released on Steam and/or PSN.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Justin258

@Dogma said:

This is really nice news if it's all correct. MS had something really good going a while and then suddenly they just closed one studio after another. Sad. Just Sad.

But....seriously...a space horror FPS? Sound kind of familiar.

I'm not complaining. I like space horror FPS's. At least one advantage of space-horror shooters is that they tend to be single player focused, or at least have strong single player components.

procrasturbate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By procrasturbate

@Firecreed17: but even before kinect happened, they had ties with Bioware, Bungie, Ensemble among others.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By Dagbiker

Too bad Microsoft wont be the first console I look at buying next generation. Actually that's not all that bad.

procrasturbate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By procrasturbate

@Elyk247: Really? Didn't know Twisted Pixel was Microsoft's.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#16  Edited By spiceninja

Now if only they'd let Rare out of their cage and let them make something worthwhile.

kpaadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kpaadet

Wow 3 hole people!? Its an industry, developers move to different studios all the time. I will care when MS makes a new studio like 343, but hopefully one thats not forced to make the same kinda game until they grow old.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xyzygy

Good. The first part support is terrible right now, though Forza Horizon and Halo 4 do look amazing.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CptBedlam

If they still want money for online gaming with their next console then I'm switching to Steam or Sony completely. Hate the direction they took with XBL, Kinect and their 1st party development. Even PC exclusives (a shitload of great indie games) are more attractive to me than another Gears, another Halo and all that Kinect garbage.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By big_jon

Good to hear, I would be so damn happy if Rare was not dead, and actually released a new and awesome game, be it a new IP, or Banjo 4.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By phantomzxro

True i can't help but feel all they are really doing is finding a few new shooter IPs to replace gears as it's coming to an end sooner or later and something to bounce off of halo 4, 5, and 6 so they have something other then halo for a shooter each year or two.

They could also be gearing up for some new IPs for the launch of the next Xbox. I just hope they keep it up because i feel they have a Nintendo attitude right now of they can live off of first party games and xbox already leads the pack in 3rd party games, so not much need to develop exclusives that don't often bring in a return.

I hope that's not the case because i feel it will hurt them in the long term like how it affected Nintendo. Granted Xbox is in a better position then Nintendo in terms of 3rd party turnover from gamers. But Nintendo is a bit of a wild card with Wii u it will sell a ton but will it have staying power or will it have the wii boom in sales. Sony is a bit of the sleeping dragon as it could wake up and take the lead if they play their cards right. Sony has made some smart moves that can put them in a good position next gen. That is if Sony wake up and takes the lead as they often miss the mark on these things.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Cincaid

Cool news, interesting exclusives is definitely not Microsoft's strong suite nowadays. And if they had half a brain they'd secure some major (or promising) Japanese studios to get a better hold of the Japanese market and similar fans in the west.

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Rotnac

This would be good news. With the loss of some exclusives like Mass Effect and the lack of new exclusives over the years, I would much rather save up money for a new PC than a next gen Xbox. Steam deals make Microsoft's Rewards program look like a complete joke.

It's too bad that Rare today is not Rare of the 90s. I'd love to see a reboot or sequel to Jet Force Gemini; or maybe they can give another shot and make a good sequel to Perfect Dark. Something completely original wouldn't be bad either.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MideonNViscera

@procrasturbate said:

They had an awesome portfolio of studios at their disposal, what happened?

EA bought/merged with/acquired or whatever it was one of them.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By BoG

It looks like we'll have a couple of high quality FPS games =/

lumzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lumzi

MS started with a lot of original IP's in a lot of genre's this gen but not all them worked (most didn't)

They had:

Kameo, Mass Effect, Blue Dragon, Gears of War, Lost Odyssey, Ninety Nine Nights, Alan Wake, Crackdown, Infinite Undiscovery and Viva Pinata.

I think it is a little unfair to claim that they didn't try for variety. They failed but they tried.

Yes, they have been a little dry of late but I've had the suspicion for a while now that they are regrouping for next gen. They've had Turn 10 for some time, and now they've built up the promising 343i. The moves by these individuals add to this suspicion. Sure, they are only 3 or so people but they are key people on big, high quality games. Of course, this could all be wishful thinking but time will tell.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.