Microsoft Joins Bandwagon to Block Class Action Lawsuits

• 118 results
#101 Posted by LemonJoose (52 posts) -
#102 Posted by Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto (592 posts) -

We're still better off than China and other Communist/Muslim countries.

#103 Posted by Deusoma (3006 posts) -
@Three0neFive said:
Sony does it, "holy shit what the fuck its the end of times fuck you". Microsoft does it, "meh."   Gamer logic.
Logic logic. By this point, people who aren't gamers are starting to realize that this kind of thing was always only questionably legal to begin with, so sooner or later, this will be shot down by some agency of the government or other.
#104 Posted by Deusoma (3006 posts) -
@Hulsey90 said:

If I am outside the US can I still send this letter via US Mail? If so how?

You can, but you don't need to. According to this article, "these clauses are only relevant in the United States".
#105 Posted by SerHulse (685 posts) -

@Deusoma: Thanks for clearing that up

#106 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

@randomfella21: It's their service, so of course they will enforce their own rights over the customers. What's funny is how blatantly juxtaposed the two are on there.

#107 Posted by Parsnip (1086 posts) -

Yay Europe bitches.

#108 Posted by cbarnes86 (556 posts) -

Not that I was going to file a lawsuit or anything, but if everyone starts doing this, our legal system is gone for good. What is the point?

#109 Edited by WickedCobra03 (2106 posts) -

Thank you Patrick. You are indeed one of the top men. I love how these companies produce a product and then change the terms each and every step of the way since 2006 and thinking... well if you don't want to agree, just don't use said product anymore. I mean come on, yeah, really rational.

Looks like I am sending out another letter today.

#110 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

What's the website that sent the letters out for you? Maybe they are doing one for this too.

#111 Edited by Ehker (235 posts) -

Seems Patrick was a bit quick to presume there was an opt out option. Microsoft has directly stated to Kotaku that you can't Opt Out:

Microsoft tells us you in fact cannot opt out of the agreement, and must sign on the dotted line to continue using Xbox Live. The terminology in the ToS used to "opt out" applies only to future changes made after this agreement, they say, not to this agreement itself. They also provided the following statement:

http://kotaku.com/5865797/now-microsoft-wants-to-stop-you-taking-them-to-court

#112 Posted by tightestjeans (30 posts) -

@Ehker said:

Seems Patrick was a bit quick to presume there was an opt out option. Microsoft has directly stated to Kotaku that you can't Opt Out:

Microsoft tells us you in fact cannot opt out of the agreement, and must sign on the dotted line to continue using Xbox Live. The terminology in the ToS used to "opt out" applies only to future changes made after this agreement, they say, not to this agreement itself. They also provided the following statement:

http://kotaku.com/5865797/now-microsoft-wants-to-stop-you-taking-them-to-court

Well that sucks, I hope Patrick updates this article.

#113 Posted by sp00kyfr0g (7 posts) -

My only reason for being apathetic on this issue is that they haven't removed the ability to sue them completely. If my Xbox spontaneously explodes and burns down my home, I can still sue them. This only prevents class action lawsuits. And an extreme example like above is the only kind of reason I would sue anyways. If I was that unhappy with a service I can live without, I would just quit using that service. No need to go to court about it.

#114 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Does Valve or EA have any legalese baked into their respective PC distribution platform EULA that's similar to what's going on here?

#115 Posted by zkillz (93 posts) -

@sp00kyfr0g said:

[...] I can still sue them. This only prevents class action lawsuits. [...]

Sorry, no.

"YOU ARE GIVING UP THE RIGHT TO LITIGATE...ALL DISPUTES"

#116 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -

gamersoptout.com

#117 Posted by DizzyMedal (399 posts) -

Anyone want to take a guess what Windows 8 EULA is going to be like for US citizens? That won't be pretty.

#118 Posted by bio595 (307 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@BRNK said:

@CL60 said:

Who cares?

You and your apathetic ilk are the reason shit like this flies.

WHO CAAERS IF UR TRADING UR RIGHTS AWAY, IT E-Z.

@Rappelsiini said:

@CL60 said:

Who cares?

Why are you okay with MS taking away some of your rights?

Because it quite literally doesn't affect me and pretty much everybody else. So I really don't care.

This.

#119 Posted by bio595 (307 posts) -

@DG991 said:

Class action lawsuits are usually abusive to major companies anyways and divert money from actual useful things.

This doesn't stop you from suing Microsoft if they actually do something personally against you.

I don't see any problem with it.

This

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.