Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Microsoft support question

greennoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By greennoodles

OK, I had a launch 360 and this will be the 3rd time I have sent it in, everytime with the same problem (unreadable disc errors). If I tell them I got the RROD will they send me a new 360, because I am tired of getting the same one back every time just for it to break again.

MerlijnVH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By MerlijnVH

Hmmm, that's a pretty good question actually. My 360 is almost two years old now and I've never had to send it back in, so I have no experience with Microsoft support.
    But it would seem logical to me for the support staff to actually test the 360 before doing anything, right? If the product has been sent in for repairs because of a RROD error and they fire it up and it works fine, I doubt they'll give you a new one either.

But I don't advice you to... ahem... leave the console running for 48+ hours in a row so that it will break down into a RROD so that you have to send it back in... you don't want that... ahem...

A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By A Likely Story

Hm, well I've had the RRoD twice, and the first time I got the same Xbox back, but the second time I got a new one.

I don't know what to tell you. : \

greennoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By greennoodles
    MerlijnVH said:
    "But it would seem logical to me for the support staff to actually test the 360 before doing anything, right? If the product has been sent in for repairs because of a RROD error and they fire it up and it works fine, I doubt they'll give you a new one either.

But I don't advice you to... ahem... leave the console running for 48+ hours in a row so that it will break down into a RROD so that you have to send it back in... you don't want that... ahem...
    "

I had it on my first 360 and it didn't do it every time, I just figured if i say it is doing it enough, they have no proof that it doesn't happen when I fire my 360 up.
    JakeB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By JakeB

My 360 just died a little while back and it wasn't the red ring of death. For some reason only one ring would light up and when the system started it just went to a black screen with an error message. I tried to induce the 3 red lights by wrapping my 360 up in blankets and letting it run for a while. This turned out to cause all 4 lights to go red. I turned the system off and the next morning when I tried turning it on again it still only had one red light. I called up microsoft support and told them that I had 3 red lights and they gave me a new console for free.

So I guess you could try getting all the lights to go on like I did to guarantee that you get a new 360 when they send it back.

greennoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By greennoodles

Well, shit got interesting last night so I'm gonna blog it, gotta love Giant Bomb

MAV3R1CK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By MAV3R1CK

You can say that over the phone, however, they have a tendency to check the console before taking it back in. They also look for speicific stuff to determine the problem. You can try it, but its not guaranteed to work.

LightYagami245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By LightYagami245

My 360 is a launch also, but when I get the disk read error, I just restart the console and it works fine after. I guess you could say that, but they might check to see if i has the RROD.

kenzo287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By kenzo287

my friends get rrod all the time and they just send them new ones

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.