Microsoft To Discontinue Microsoft Points by the end of 2012

• 77 results
#1 Posted by InfinityBit (26 posts) -
#2 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -
#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36047 posts) -

I don't have a problem with Nintendo's Wii Points system, since it's easier to understand than the Microsoft system.

#4 Posted by FreakAche (2950 posts) -

Now what will we use for currency after the apocalypse?

#5 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -
@FreakAche said:

Pennies
#6 Posted by SMTDante89 (2549 posts) -

@FreakAche said:

Bottlecaps

#7 Posted by CornBREDX (4820 posts) -

thank god. The fake money thing is stupid and is only a way to attempt to make you spend more money then you intend to. 

That is of course assuming this is true. If you want my money just take it dont make me buy an invisible currency first causing me to have to spend more then I intend to. That's more like a scam then anything and has always annoyed me. Also it made me less likely to buy most things (that and DLC is almost always shit).

#8 Posted by GreggD (4478 posts) -

Assuming they keep selling pre-paid cards with codes on 'em, I couldn't care less either way.

#9 Posted by Mikewrestler5 (602 posts) -

I don't believe it.

#10 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

No I can't fool myself that 800 points is 10$ CDN anymore. I use to just go with the flow and pretend it was like my US brothers. Fun fact 20$ =1400 not 1600 in Canada.

#11 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7051 posts) -

@Mikewrestler5 said:

I don't believe it.

Yeah, I'll believe it when it's announced officially. Microsoft, like most giant companies, isn't prone to change.

#12 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

How the fuck is this going to work, I got 760 points... is it going to convert that to some sort of cash or are they going to disapear?

#13 Posted by believer258 (11663 posts) -

@FreakAche said:

@Zenaxzd said:

Pennies

@SMTDante89 said:

Bottlecaps

Brad Bucks?

OP: Great! Now ten dollars will be ten dollars and not 800 points!

I had those things memorized, too. 400 points = 5 dollars and I could guesstimate anything that wasn't a multiple of 400 pretty easily.

#14 Posted by JTB123 (1046 posts) -

Good news as far as I'm concerned, a long time coming too.

#15 Posted by ShaggE (6336 posts) -

Nice! I had seven bucks I wanted to blow on some DLC today (yes, seven dollars... being broke is fun), but thanks to Spacebucks, I could only spend five. Such a stupid credit system. Oh well. That's two bucks for my Steam account.

#16 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -

To bad they didn't do this when i still used my 360. The Canadian prices on points were fucking retarded.

#17 Edited by spazmaster666 (1965 posts) -

@CornBREDX said:

thank god. The fake money thing is stupid and is only a way to attempt to make you spend more money then you intend to.

That is of course assuming this is true. If you want my money just take it dont make me buy an invisible currency first causing me to have to spend more then I intend to. That's more like a scam then anything and has always annoyed me. Also it made me less likely to buy most things (that and DLC is almost always shit).

They're still probably going to have a minimum transaction amount (i.e. $5 probably) for credit card transactions ala PSN Wallet since credit card transactions costs Microsoft money.

#18 Posted by CornBREDX (4820 posts) -
@spazmaster666: I was thinking the same but erased it because the editorial suggests it will be a cash based system- suggesting you just buy everything (like they do with downloadable full games on the XBLM). But ya if its just switching to that- that's still stupid.
#19 Posted by CoinMatze (470 posts) -

I can get a 4200 points card which is worth 50€ for 33€ on ebay. I bet I'll have to pay full price after the change because I won't be able to redeem asian cards in europe.

#20 Posted by MetalBaofu (1352 posts) -

Cool. I was just thinking yesterday that MS points will probably be gone by the time the next console comes out, if not sooner. I just hope this means you can buy a game straight up without having to add money to your account at all really. And, that it will make it easier to not have excess points/money sitting in your account.

#21 Posted by raidingkvatch (1149 posts) -

Good.

#22 Posted by spazmaster666 (1965 posts) -

@CornBREDX said:

@spazmaster666: I was thinking the same but erased it because the editorial suggests it will be a cash based system- suggesting you just buy everything (like they do with downloadable full games on the XBLM). But ya if its just switching to that- that's still stupid.

Hmm, they may allow direct purchases but I'm betting they will still have a option that let's you "prepay" for a certain amount in some sort of digital wallet.

#23 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

Seriously though, What the hell is going to happen to our points we already have?

#24 Posted by Linkster7 (1012 posts) -

Thank god. I have a better understanding of how they translate to USD then the currency I actually use, so I always have to two step it in my head.

#25 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4602 posts) -

Lube up your assholes gentlemen, a mighty shaft is inbound.

#26 Posted by RE_Player1 (7550 posts) -

Thank God. Tired of looking at space bucks and trying to convert to real money.

#27 Posted by James_ex_machina (905 posts) -

@SMTDante89 said:

Bottlecaps

this

#28 Posted by stise (89 posts) -

Look! We have come through.

#29 Posted by jakob187 (21644 posts) -

@SMTDante89 said:

@FreakAche said:

Bottlecaps

Good thing, too. My ex-roommate still has the eight or nine trash bags full of bottlecaps that we saved up while living together...and we are both still collecting them

WE'RE RICH, BITCH!

#30 Posted by Video_Game_King (36047 posts) -

@Jay444111 said:

How the fuck is this going to work, I got 760 points... is it going to convert that to some sort of cash or are they going to disapear?

I imagine they'll simply stop selling new points and let the points still out there be spent.

#31 Edited by DeShawn2ks (1052 posts) -

@InfinityBit: This about sums up how I feel about this story if its true.

#32 Posted by mosespippy (4043 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Jay444111 said:

I imagine they'll simply stop selling new points and let the points still out there be spent.

It's obvious neither of you read the article.

#33 Posted by Video_Game_King (36047 posts) -

@mosespippy:

It's not my fault that I'm a lazy bastard.

#34 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Jay444111 said:

I really hope so. Otherwise I demand a HUGE price drop on all things until the new payment plan so we can all start buying a shitton of points and use all of them on discounted stuff.

That. Or just transfer the amount into real money once and for all... Or, even better, have the point system make sense!

#35 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

Good riddance.

#36 Edited by evanbower (1210 posts) -

@FreakAche: Now what will we use for currency after the apocalypse?

Hair and pop rocks.

#37 Posted by Willin (1279 posts) -

Great, instead of getting things cheaper due to the strong Australian dollar I instead will be overcharged per usual. Fan-fucking-tastic.

#38 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

@FreakAche said:

Calling it now: frequent flier miles.

#39 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

Great! No more calculating money to points.

#40 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

What will happen to the 40 MS points I've had for about two years now?

#41 Posted by mikey87144 (1665 posts) -

Well finally. It was a dumb system when it launched and it's even dumber today. Glad they're going to get rid of it.

#42 Posted by Branthog (7342 posts) -

I've always been annoyed at the fake Microsoft Points that aren't actually tied to any sort of thing of real monetary value, like money. Of course, I then realized that our actual money isn't tied to any real thing, either. So a virtual meaningless Microsoft Point is just as fine with me as a US Dollar.

#43 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

They should call them Star Bucks. ;)

#44 Posted by Branthog (7342 posts) -

@Buzzkill said:

Ballmer Bucks.

#45 Posted by selbie (1844 posts) -

@Buzzkill said:

Close enough :P

Points systems should remain solely the domain of loyalty rewards systems. I'm glad MS didn't use points for their app store in Windows Phone 7.

#46 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1188 posts) -

Can I still purchase money for my account via a card? Because I prefer that to credit card. If so then fine. If not then this is really dumb.

#47 Posted by Mijati (896 posts) -

Awesome, another way for Microsoft to screw over pricing of games in Europe, just you wait.

#48 Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials (2319 posts) -

What really makes me happy is the implication that they won't go back to that shit again in the foreseeable future, and other companies will be discouraged from it too.

#49 Posted by spiceninja (3055 posts) -

@Jay444111: 760 points is like $9. Instead of showing that you have 760 points it'll just show you have $9. Simple as that.

#50 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -
@PlasmaBeam44 said:

@Jay444111: 760 points is like $9. Instead of showing that you have 760 points it'll just show you have $9. Simple as that.

Yeah but what about more weird numbers? I have 10 points, yes a whole 10. How did I get to that number? I have no clue as all I remember is I had 20 somehow (not sure how I got 20, either) and then spent 10 on Age of Empires 3 when it was on GFWL for 10 points and now I am stuck constantly trying to figure out what the heck to spend 10 points on.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.