Mouse and Keyboard?

#1 Posted by Henock (1 posts) -

I never really understood why the Xbox360 doesn't get support for mouse and keyboard. I can understand that they don't want to shoot themselves in the foot with controller sales but I still think the system would benefit from a mouse and keyboard support. Correct me if I am wrong ,Microsoft can choose which games receive Keyboard and mouse support if it existed. Plus hell it would give them reason to release a useful peripheral besides a racing wheel. (never really was a big fan of that thing) anyways what do you think?

#2 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -

I don't know, I wouldn't really use a mouse and keyboard.

#3 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -

Id love it, especially for when Halo Wars hits.
RTS and FPS games will feel more natural to play for me.

#4 Posted by MisoRonery (468 posts) -

I think the only reason they don't want to do it is fragmentation and perceived disadvantage.  As far as I'm concerned, anyone using a mouse and keyboard in any kind of competitive game would wipe the floor with someone trying to use a controller.  If they were both equally skilled that is.  The only solution would be to segregate servers or apply handicaps, and that leads to a bunch more problems.  Don't get me wrong I love both forms of input, but I feel consoles should remain controller based.

#5 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -
MisoRonery said:
"I think the only reason they don't want to do it is fragmentation and perceived disadvantage.  As far as I'm concerned, anyone using a mouse and keyboard in any kind of competitive game would wipe the floor with someone trying to use a controller.  If they were both equally skilled that is.  The only solution would be to segregate servers or apply handicaps, and that leads to a bunch more problems.  Don't get me wrong I love both forms of input, but I feel consoles should remain controller based.
"
Precisely.
#6 Posted by SSbabel (1141 posts) -
BlindEffekt said:
"Id love it, especially for when Halo Wars hits.
"
Thats a point well put, they would feel more natural.
#7 Posted by Rowr (5658 posts) -
BlindEffekt said:
"
im pretty sure they have designed this game from the ground up to use the controller.

So in fact it will probably feel completely unatural.
#8 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -
Rowr said:
"BlindEffekt said:
"
im pretty sure they have designed this game from the ground up to use the controller.

So in fact it will probably feel completely unatural.
"
Actually it all depends on the player. It was just my opinion
#9 Posted by MsCortana (429 posts) -

Well, I personally wouldn't be interested in keyboard and mouse support other than for sending messages.  That's why I'm a console gamer...I like the feel of a controller in my hand. :D

#10 Edited by Manks (836 posts) -

I only like playing RTS games with a mouse and keyboard; it's too hard without them.  If the 360 gets mouse and keyboard support then I'm getting Halo Wars and maybe C&C3.

#11 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -

They just might for Halo Wars.

#12 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -
LightYagami245 said:
"They just might for Halo Wars.
"
Im hoping. Otherwise i cant see myself buying it.
#13 Posted by Merforga (262 posts) -

I forget what it's called, but both Xbox 360 and PS3 have this one product that allows you to use their specialized keyboard and mouse to play games.  Can't remember the name though lol.

#14 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

I used a keyboard for Phantasy Star Universe demo... to laugh at people. :| It's like a terrible, terrible chat room.

#15 Posted by Ghil (229 posts) -

It would be nice, I play UT3 on the PS3 with a keyboard and mouse, but then again it wouldn't be fair for the people that still uses a controller...

#16 Posted by Arestice (468 posts) -
MisoRonery said:
"I think the only reason they don't want to do it is fragmentation and perceived disadvantage.  As far as I'm concerned, anyone using a mouse and keyboard in any kind of competitive game would wipe the floor with someone trying to use a controller.  If they were both equally skilled that is.  The only solution would be to segregate servers or apply handicaps, and that leads to a bunch more problems.  Don't get me wrong I love both forms of input, but I feel consoles should remain controller based.
"
On PS3, Unreal Tournament III has specific servers that allows only Gamepads or only Mice and Keyboards to play. I think it's funny when people get extreme about the two. IMO it shouldn't matter which is used, because some people are just plain better w/ a controller than a keyboard and vice versa.
#17 Posted by Wuffi (246 posts) -

just buy a pro computer if you want mouse and keyboard.

#18 Posted by Player1 (3868 posts) -

Console games are meant for controllers, PC games meant for mouse and keyboard. If you want to play the games with mouse and keyboard buy them on games for windows, or pc.

It would give plays a HUGE advantage in multiplayer as well. Mouse and keyboard are alot more sensitive then a controller. 
#19 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

Well why would you use mouse and keyboard anyways? For PS3 I can use it for the XMB, PS Store, internet browser, etc, as well as games that support it (UT3), but what would I need it on 360 for?

That's why i think RTC/MMOs would be great on PS3, because they can add mouse and keyboard support and bam, its as good as playing it on PC.

#20 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -
Sentry said:
"Well why would you use mouse and keyboard anyways? For PS3 I can use it for the XMB, PS Store, internet browser, etc, as well as games that support it (UT3), but what would I need it on 360 for?

That's why i think RTC/MMOs would be great on PS3, because they can add mouse and keyboard support and bam, its as good as playing it on PC.
"
No its not.
Ive tryed UTIII on ps3 with a mouse and keyboard. Talk about sketchy. I just went back to controls

#21 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -
BlindEffekt said:
"Sentry said:
"Well why would you use mouse and keyboard anyways? For PS3 I can use it for the XMB, PS Store, internet browser, etc, as well as games that support it (UT3), but what would I need it on 360 for?

"
No its not.
Ive tryed UTIII on ps3 with a mouse and keyboard. Talk about sketchy. I just went back to controls

"

Yeah I haven't tried it, im just saying games COULD work with it fine, if UT3 didn't implement it good thats not the compatibilities fault.

But honestly more games could use it, especially future MMOs and RTS games.
#22 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -

Im fine with it being for RTS.
MMO's should stay on pc ( IMO )

#23 Posted by LuckyWanderDude (929 posts) -

That would rock if they did that.

#24 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -
BlindEffekt said:
"Im fine with it being for RTS.
"

Yeah, but the excuse people use a lot is 'we can't make X game on X because of the controls it wouldn't feel right or work' etc etc. When that excuse really is nonexistent with the PS3 and even with the 360 if they had support. But I mean everyone has a keyboard and mouse they can just plug into the PS3, its no biggie. So devs should take advantage of that.
#25 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -

Yeah i agree with what your saying.
But it was just my opinion.

#26 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

Yeah I know, just saying that devs shouldn't be making up so many damn excuses all the time.

Gets annoying after a while lol.

#27 Posted by Shotaro (820 posts) -

I would love a mouse and keyboard for the 360 but I doubt that Microsoft will ever make one as that will  undermine the PC which is their main source of income

#28 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

If they came out with mouse and keyboard peripherals then they better release Warcraft 4 along with it. Otherwise I wouldn't use the set-up except on computers of course.

#29 Posted by Psynapse (1064 posts) -
MisoRonery said:
"

I agree with MisoRonery on this one. If they allowed keyboard and mouse support then it would open up so many problems, basically if you like your mouse and keyboard stay with PC games. Otherwise use the xbox :)
#30 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -
Sentry said:
"BlindEffekt said:
"Im fine with it being for RTS.
"

Yeah, but the excuse people use a lot is 'we can't make X game on X because of the controls it wouldn't feel right or work' etc etc. When that excuse really is nonexistent with the PS3 and even with the 360 if they had support. But I mean everyone has a keyboard and mouse they can just plug into the PS3, its no biggie. So devs should take advantage of that.
"
Agreed. They should just ask the console publishers to release a mouse set(keyboards are normally USB, but mouses aren't).
#31 Edited by Arestice (468 posts) -
LightYagami245 said:
(keyboards are normally USB, but mouses aren't).

Really?
I haven't used a PS/2 mouse since they started selling laser ones.
2004-ish?

I'm gonna assume alot of people that use PCs now have USB mice.
Infact  - I don't think they even manufacture PS/2 mice anymore , or atleast I haven't seen any new ones. Just the adapters for if your PC is pre 1994 era.
#32 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -
Arestice said:
"LightYagami245 said:
(keyboards are normally USB, but mouses aren't).

Really?
I haven't used a PS/2 mouse since they started selling laser ones.
2004-ish?

I'm gonna assume alot of people that use PCs now have USB mice.
"
I just got a new wireless mouse(not even a year old) and the adapter(to connect it to the comp) is not in USB(unless there is a circular USB port).
#33 Posted by Arestice (468 posts) -

Link me up - B-b-b-b-brutha.

#34 Edited by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -
Arestice said:
"Link me up - B-b-b-b-brutha.
"
I'll look for a pic(don't have a cam), and I'll  post it.

EDIT: It's a Logitech V320 Cordless Optical Mouse.

caption

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.