MS forcefully removes private chat from upcoming titles

• 147 results
#1 Edited by JJOR64 (18956 posts) -

I had a feeling that something like this was going to happen someday.  Examiner.com is reporting that developers will now have the decision to make you leave the party and play the game online or don't play it at all.  For more info on this, check out the link.  And one more thing, what do you guys think about this?  Is this good or bad?

LINK

#2 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Guess they're afraid of cheating, doesn't bother me because I mostly only ever use 2 person chat if any.  I'd rather play against non-cheaters.

#3 Posted by FlamingHobo (4482 posts) -

As long as they allow me to mute people, this is awesome. Maybe now, the game channels won't be so fucking dead.

#4 Posted by Kenny (66 posts) -

Since when is it cheating to inform the other players on your team when someone killed you and for them to go and kill them? Why not just get rid of the kill cam where it shows where the enemy who killed you is and not let the player become a mobile camera until respawn so that they can't search out of point out to other players where the enemy is hiding?

#5 Posted by natetodamax (19193 posts) -

Let's see: Would I rather talk to my friends while playing a game I paid $60 for, or would I rather be forced to listen to screaming kids and incompetent teammates?

#6 Posted by jakob187 (21665 posts) -

AND OF COURSE, IT'S MODERN WARFARE 2 THAT IS DOING IT!!! 

*ugh*  This fucking game is going to be the death of us all. 

Seriously, how in the FUCK are you going to FORCE people to listen to retarded 12-year-olds act retarded?!  I'm sure they have a mute feature built into the game, right?  RIGHT?

#7 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

Talkin shit is what multiplayer gaming is all about. I really fucking hated how everyone was in private chat lately.

#8 Edited by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Now I have to listen to the LIVE community? Yeah, fuck that. 

@natetodamax said:

" Let's see: Would I rather talk to my friends while playing a game I paid $60 for, or would I rather be forced to listen to screaming kids and incompetent teammates? "
My feelings exactly.
#9 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@Kenny said:
Since when is it cheating to inform the other players on your team when someone killed you and for them to go and kill them?
Since when can you only talk with people on your own team in party chat?  Yea, people get on both teams and rat out the other team.
#10 Posted by Pazy (2565 posts) -

This is crap, there are many times when id rather talk to a friend than someone I dont know. More importantly there will now be certain games that I wont play as often because im generally talking to friends if on XBL, usually ill load up a game to play while I talk but now I wont be able to play certain games when im talking to so I have to choose between them and the game and my friends always win.

#11 Posted by Lies (3866 posts) -
@jakob187: Leaving aside the fact there's a mute option built into the 360 itself, COD4 had a quick mute.
#12 Posted by jakob187 (21665 posts) -

If they are going to do this, then why don't they just completely remove the fucking function?  I mean, I would rather talk to my buddies who are playing a completely different game sometimes.  If I don't have that option, then there's no point in Microsoft providing the option! 

Besides, the game has a goddamn Killcam!  I can inform people from THAT where players are located!  Does that mean Killcam should be completely taken out of Call of Duty? 

This game is just getting pants-on-head re-goddamn-tarded now!

#13 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -

I can foresee this being unpopular xD

#14 Edited by FireBurger (1479 posts) -

This sucks. Yeah, having a dead team because your teammates are in private chat sort of sucks, but I'll deal with that for the benefits.

1. I don't want to have to listen to whiny brats screaming/singing in their mics when I'm trying to communicate.
2. I might want to talk to friends playing other games (I don't really do this myself, but know of many who do).
3. I might want to have a conversation not related to the game, that I don't want everyone on Xbox LIVE listening in on.

I'm sure some others might have other reasons as well. Also, the whole post-death communication thing is really not that big of a deal. Again, the benefits outweigh the negatives, in my opinion. Even if they had player matches that they allowed it in, and excluded it from ranked matches, that would be OK. To not be able to play online at all in private chat is annoying.

#15 Posted by Kenny (66 posts) -
@Diamond: But what are the chances of you friend randomly being on the other team during matchmaking?
#16 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

So...they introduce a new feature only to remove our right to use it later on? >_<

#17 Edited by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

I seriously hope this doesn't catch on, because it's a fucking terrible idea. I couldn't care less about 'team-work' the majority of the time to be honest; I'd rather play some games whilst chatting with my mates and not having to put up with the shrieks of some 12 year old (I don't intend to be ageist here, but you see what I'm getting at). Obviously in games such as L4D I use the public chat, but in Halo or CoD? Hell naw son. 

#18 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

As much as I think you should be able to talk to whoever your want I can still see why they do this.  Now days any online game on LIVE are completely silent, you'll be lucky if more then two people are actually talking in the game.

#19 Edited by h83r (469 posts) -

So, Microsoft wants $50 for Xbox Live Gold and then restricts you from using one of the main features(apart from the playing online part) that comes with it?

#20 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

I don't see the point.  If people want party chat they will just use some other method.  All that does is inconvenience people.  Party chat is all I ever did while gaming; it's the best way to experience a game.

#21 Posted by StarFoxA (5150 posts) -

Looks like I'll be using Skype while playing multiplayer games now.

#22 Posted by jakob187 (21665 posts) -
@h83r said:
" So, Microsoft wants $50 for Xbox Live Gold and then restricts you from using one of the main features(apart from the playing online part) that comes with it? "
BINGO!  That right there is the comment to end the thread, seriously.  You, sir, won the fucking internet for the day!
#23 Posted by FireBurger (1479 posts) -
@jakob187: The issue is something like in S&D where  the player who is killed can see the killcam, but the still living players can't know where he was killed from. With private chat, he could die, see the killcam, then tell his teammates where he was killed from.
#24 Posted by Shadow (4979 posts) -

Makes sense for some stuff.  When dead people aren't supposed to talk to ones who are alive, it's for a reason.

#25 Posted by Metroid545 (1823 posts) -
@Diamond said:
" Guess they're afraid of cheating, doesn't bother me because I mostly only ever use 2 person chat if any.  I'd rather play against non-cheaters. "
how is talking to your partner cheating
#26 Posted by StarFoxA (5150 posts) -
@FireBurger said:
" @jakob187: The issue is something like in S&D where  the player who is killed can see the killcam, but the still living players can't know where he was killed from. With private chat, he could die, see the killcam, then tell his teammates where he was killed from. "
Then turn it off in hardcore, or restrict it to when the people in the party are playing separate games! Don't remove it altogether!
#27 Posted by MAN_FLANNEL (2462 posts) -

This is good and bad.  

Ever since they added party chat people are in it, and it pisses me off when my entire team is in a party chat or when in games like gears or hardcore search and destroy people can cheat and communicate when they are not suppose to be able to.  The best part about games like that is trash talking the other team when they die. 

On the other hand it is nice to be in party chat... so

Hopefully something like this will be allowed in social matches and not allowed in ranked matches in games that have those.

#28 Posted by FireBurger (1479 posts) -
@StarFoxA: I agree with you, read my previous post.
#29 Edited by Ma7moud (805 posts) -

That a great move. what I really hated about party chat is that in online games people are always in parties and no one is talking which gets boring, I hope every game disables party chat in online matches.  

And for people who are complaining about having to listen to annoying kids probably forgot that they can use the mute button.

#30 Edited by jakob187 (21665 posts) -
@FireBurger said:

" @jakob187: The issue is something like in S&D where  the player who is killed can see the killcam, but the still living players can't know where he was killed from. With private chat, he could die, see the killcam, then tell his teammates where he was killed from. "

Then they should finally get rid of that stupid ass Killcam!!!  Killcam is one of the most re-goddamn-tarded things I've ever seen in a video game!!! 

Is it just me, or have I replaced my habit of saying "fuck" a lot with "goddamn" lately?  I blame Ryan Davis.  He makes "goddamn" sound so excellent and forceful!
#31 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -
@Ma7moud said:
" That a great move. what I really hated about party chat is that in online games people are always in parties and no one is talking which gets boring, I hope every game disables party chat in online matches.    And for people who are complaining about having to listen to annoying kids probably forgot that you can use the mute button. "
It's not just the people you'd have to put up with. What if I want to speak to my mates who are playing on different games? This whole idea if it actually happens is terrible.
#32 Posted by natetodamax (19193 posts) -
@Ma7moud said:
" That a great move. what I really hated about party chat is that in online games people are always in parties and no one is talking which gets boring, I hope every game disables party chat in online matches.    And for people who are complaining about having to listen to annoying kids probably forgot that you can use the mute button. "
We shouldn't have to mute the annoying kids. We should be able to talk to our friends that aren't idiots.
#33 Posted by StarFoxA (5150 posts) -
@Ma7moud said:
" That a great move. what I really hated about party chat is that in online games people are always in parties and no one is talking which gets boring, I hope every game disables party chat in online matches.     And for people who are complaining about having to listen to annoying kids probably forgot that they can use the mute button. "
Well then get some friends and party chat with them.
#34 Posted by h83r (469 posts) -
@jakob187 said:
" @h83r said:
" So, Microsoft wants $50 for Xbox Live Gold and then restricts you from using one of the main features(apart from the playing online part) that comes with it? "
BINGO!  That right there is the comment to end the thread, seriously.  You, sir, won the fucking internet for the day! "
Lmao. As honored as I am, it's still sad that this is happening. Seriously, as someone who thinks that the only thing that makes XBL better than PSN is Party Chat, this is fairly a concerning sentiment. Just like many others have already stated, I really don't want to listen to bitchy little kids while playing online. I just want to talk to my friends, both those who are and aren't playing the game.
#35 Posted by jakob187 (21665 posts) -
@Ma7moud said:
" That a great move. what I really hated about party chat is that in online games people are always in parties and no one is talking which gets boring, I hope every game disables party chat in online matches.     And for people who are complaining about having to listen to annoying kids probably forgot that they can use the mute button. "
I'm sorry, Ma7moud.  You will need to disconnect from all your other websites in order to post comments in this thread. 

That, right there, is basically what they are saying with this.  They are saying that I am not allowed to speak with my friends...who are playing different games...if I want to play their game.  That...is pure...bullshit.
#36 Posted by jakob187 (21665 posts) -
@h83r said:
" @jakob187 said:
" @h83r said:
BINGO!  That right there is the comment to end the thread, seriously.  You, sir, won the fucking internet for the day! "
Lmao. As honored as I am, it's still sad that this is happening. Seriously, as someone who thinks that the only thing that makes XBL better than PSN is Party Chat, this is fairly a concerning sentiment. Just like many others have already stated, I really don't want to listen to bitchy little kids while playing online. I just want to talk to my friends, both those who are and aren't playing the game. "
Oh, and you know that with this announcement and this knowledge, they will be even MORE annoying because they know people will be FORCED to hear them.  Again, I'm sure there is a mute button, but why should I have to mute someone when I could just...not hear them at all and instead talk to my friends?  It defeats the purpose of having a private chat channel if they aren't going to let you fucking use it.
#37 Posted by StarFoxA (5150 posts) -

Due to all of these stupid decisions on Infinity Ward's part, I'm now considering canceling my preorder and getting L4D2 instead.

#38 Posted by nrain (1274 posts) -
@keyhunter said:
"Talkin shit is what multiplayer gaming is all about. I really fucking hated how everyone was in private chat lately. "
Agreed!
#39 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Guys.

This is only for Search and Destroy. I'm sure of it.

That is all.

#40 Posted by StarFoxA (5150 posts) -
@nrain said:
" @keyhunter said:
"Talkin shit is what multiplayer gaming is all about. I really fucking hated how everyone was in private chat lately. "
Agreed! "
If everybody is forced to be in game chat, I predict many unplugged mics. Therefore you really gain nothing.
#41 Edited by slyspider (1213 posts) -

I'm really happy to hear this, my mic just broke and now i won't have to bye a new one. FUCK THIS SHIT!

#42 Posted by lemon360 (1102 posts) -

Just goes to show that Parties are double-edged swords. I don't really have a problem with this as more people will communicate and you'll still be able to mute people.
#43 Posted by ThisIsTheEnd89 (31 posts) -

MS giving you more choices since 2005

#44 Posted by Potter9156 (941 posts) -
Good news in my opinion. Nothing more annoying than getting stuck with the team in S&D where everyone in said team is talking too people not even playing the game. And then dying repeatedly because no one is pointing out enemy locations. 
Obviously every game(mode) isn't going too use this. But it's nice to know they can.

@jakob187 said:
" AND OF COURSE, IT'S MODERN WARFARE 2 THAT IS DOING IT!!!  *ugh*  This fucking game is going to be the death of us all.  Seriously, how in the FUCK are you going to FORCE people to listen to retarded 12-year-olds act retarded?!  I'm sure they have a mute feature built into the game, right?  RIGHT? "
@jakob187 said:
" If they are going to do this, then why don't they just completely remove the fucking function?  I mean, I would rather talk to my buddies who are playing a completely different game sometimes.  If I don't have that option, then there's no point in Microsoft providing the option!  Besides, the game has a goddamn Killcam!  I can inform people from THAT where players are located!  Does that mean Killcam should be completely taken out of Call of Duty?  This game is just getting pants-on-head re-goddamn-tarded now! "
@jakob187 said:
" BINGO!  That right there is the comment to end the thread, seriously.  You, sir, won the fucking internet for the day! "
@jakob187 said:
"Then they should finally get rid of that stupid ass Killcam!!!  Killcam is one of the most re-goddamn-tarded things I've ever seen in a video game!!!  Is it just me, or have I replaced my habit of saying "fuck" a lot with "goddamn" lately?  I blame Ryan Davis.  He makes "goddamn" sound so excellent and forceful! "

Now tell us what you REALLY think.
#45 Posted by Reuben (622 posts) -

Why don't they just remove the camera's in the game? It's better than removing party chat and no one can go search for a player on the other team.

#46 Edited by h83r (469 posts) -
@jakob187 said:

" @h83r said:

" @jakob187 said:
" @h83r said:
Lmao. As honored as I am, it's still sad that this is happening. Seriously, as someone who thinks that the only thing that makes XBL better than PSN is Party Chat, this is fairly a concerning sentiment. Just like many others have already stated, I really don't want to listen to bitchy little kids while playing online. I just want to talk to my friends, both those who are and aren't playing the game. "
Oh, and you know that with this announcement and this knowledge, they will be even MORE annoying because they know people will be FORCED to hear them.  Again, I'm sure there is a mute button, but why should I have to mute someone when I could just...not hear them at all and instead talk to my friends?  It defeats the purpose of having a private chat channel if they aren't going to let you fucking use it. "
Oh yeah. I'm sure there will be a mute button. I will end up muting everyone other than my friends and all they're doing is putting an extra step that I'll have to go through. But in the end, the point is that the Party Chat option is only available for Gold members. If Party Chat was a feature that MS offered for free, it wouldn't have been such a big deal, in my opinion. But seeing as I'm PAYING for this feature, it's effin' infuriating that I won't be able to use it.
#47 Posted by Vod_Crack (716 posts) -

It is not a perfect idea but I think the logic is solid.

#48 Posted by Ma7moud (805 posts) -
@jakob187: @natetodamax: @Hitchenson:  I know not having to talk with friends not playing the game isn't a good thing but it isn't that bad. The 360 didn't have this feature a year from now and it was fine. And one of the main reasons MS included a headset is to communicate with teammates in matches whether they are friends or not.
#49 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5416 posts) -

The ONLY  thing that I like about this is the possibility of developers using this for unique things in multiplayer. Remember Pandora Tomorrow's multiplayer? How the spies could only talk to mercs when they had them in a choke hold? Party chat ruins possibilities like that.

What about in co-op stealth games, how if you talk too loud, enemies can hear you? I love little additions like that. Same thing with not being able to talk if you are out of range or if you're killed. So for these reasons, I don't mind. I just don't want it to be abused by developers.

#50 Posted by Jeffsekai (7028 posts) -

This is fucking bull shit the party feature is there for me to use and I pay fucking gold membership for a reason. Maybe the devs need to take there heads out of there own asses and relize NOT EVERYONE WILL BE PLAYTHING THERE DAMN GAME.

Seriously this is just plain dumb and better not be true.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.