Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

My 360 woes revisited

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

Edited By alexl86

Is it just me, or is the S model Xbox just as broken as the previous model?

I'll state for the record that I've owned three different 360s so far, two old pro models, one which was broken out of the box, one which red ringed, and my current S model. My current 360 I got the winter before last and had no issues at all, until I put in Fallout: New Vegas last summer.

At first I thought it was the game, which is notoriously buggy. The screen and console would just freeze, and I couldn't do anything but force shutdown the console. This started very infrequently, but became unbearable, and I detailed it in my blog on the site. And then it disappeared. I played Arkham City, Skyrim and Dark Souls, and life was good. And then it started again and now it's worse than ever. It's been a gradual process, it's gone from once every day to once every few hours to once every few minutes. In the last 30 minutes it's frozen about ten times, three times during the xbox logo animation. It's even red ringed on my a few times this week. Luckily I still have my warranty.

I'm having far more problems with this S model Xbox than my old pro, and this doesn't fill me with confidence about their next console. If their hardware is as shoddy next time around, maybe I'll buy a Portstation instead, or a PC...

Anyone else having problems with their consoles in general, or S model 360 specifically?

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By alexl86

Is it just me, or is the S model Xbox just as broken as the previous model?

I'll state for the record that I've owned three different 360s so far, two old pro models, one which was broken out of the box, one which red ringed, and my current S model. My current 360 I got the winter before last and had no issues at all, until I put in Fallout: New Vegas last summer.

At first I thought it was the game, which is notoriously buggy. The screen and console would just freeze, and I couldn't do anything but force shutdown the console. This started very infrequently, but became unbearable, and I detailed it in my blog on the site. And then it disappeared. I played Arkham City, Skyrim and Dark Souls, and life was good. And then it started again and now it's worse than ever. It's been a gradual process, it's gone from once every day to once every few hours to once every few minutes. In the last 30 minutes it's frozen about ten times, three times during the xbox logo animation. It's even red ringed on my a few times this week. Luckily I still have my warranty.

I'm having far more problems with this S model Xbox than my old pro, and this doesn't fill me with confidence about their next console. If their hardware is as shoddy next time around, maybe I'll buy a Portstation instead, or a PC...

Anyone else having problems with their consoles in general, or S model 360 specifically?

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
    Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

I have my launch Xbox and my S that I also got on launch day and niether have ever had a problem. Same with my PS3 launch and PS3 slim launch day as well.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By alexl86
    @Imsorrymsjackson: You're lucky then, because I'm on my third now and my 360 S is almost a year and a half.

The 360 is the first console I've had with so many problems. My PS2 has some trouble reading discs, but I got it in 2001. My PS1 is still working fine and I think maybe my NES is still working too. And it's not like this is an isolated incident, I know others who have suffered the dreaded red ring.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.