Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

My thoughts on the Xbox 360 S (you know, the new ones).

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Edited By MooseyMcMan

So, if you didn't know, my old Xbox broke a couple months ago. That was actually my second Xbox, my first having Red Ringed a few years ago. However, that one didn't Red Ring (I think something went wrong with the graphics dealy in it, or something), and it was well out of warranty, so I was out of luck. Recently, however, Best Buy had a halfway decent deal, so I bought one, the 250GB without Kinect bundled in. Here are my thoughts. 

The first thing I noticed upon opening it was that Microsoft, being run by cheapskates (by which I really mean they are just trying to maximize profits, like any company), has stopped including HD cables with 360s. However, the one from my old 360 still works fine. And if something happens to that, I could just switch the HDMI cable I use for my PS3 between the two. But still, it was not a good first thought when opening a $300 item. 

I like the looks of the new 360, being black, shiny, and sleek. But the problem with shininess is that any dust on it at all makes it look bad, and I live in a dusty old house, so it was all dusty looking within minutes of opening it. But that's more a problem with the housekeeping here than it is a design flaw. However, there are some large air holes on "top" (I have it horizontally placed, because it's more stable that way), and I'm a bit worried about dust getting in there. I should remember to dust the thing regularly.  

The disc tray button has been replaced with some sort of touch sensor, so it's far more sensitive than my old 360s. When I was dusting it yesterday, the try accidentally opened (yeah, I was wiping it off whilst it was turned on), and it startled me. It also makes a noise, which is something I don't like. Consoles making noises without the use of the TV annoys me, because it makes stealth use of it harder. Unless there's a way to turn it off, which I doubt (I've tried in vain for years to see if I can turn off the PS3's beeping).  

The controller that came with it is black. I like that. Also, while it doesn't have one of those "transforming" d-pads I've read about, it does feel better than the ones on my older controllers, though I'm not sure if that's because it's better built, or if it's because of it not being worn out like my other ones. Either way, it's nice, and not terrible.  

The 250GB hard drive, while small my computer standards, is AMAZING to someone who had been using a 20GB one for years. I can finally have all my DLC, and have more than one game installed at a time, and I still have over 200 gigs left! It's great! I should go download some more stuff now. 

Like Game Room. The first new thing I downloaded (after re-downloading all my Mass Effect (1&2) DLC, Fallout 3 DLC, Borderlands DLC, and XBLA games) was Game Room. And I got five Achievements without even buying any games. And, oddly enough, that was enough to get a C Rank here on GB. I guess Jeff's coverage was effective at dissuading people from buying anything on it.  

Anyway, overall, I'm happy just to have a working 360 again. Now all those goals I set for myself that involve 360 games are obtainable again, so I am pleased! Plus, now I can buy Gears 3 and The Witcher 2 (pretty sure that was announced for 360) later this year when they release. Yay! 

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MooseyMcMan

So, if you didn't know, my old Xbox broke a couple months ago. That was actually my second Xbox, my first having Red Ringed a few years ago. However, that one didn't Red Ring (I think something went wrong with the graphics dealy in it, or something), and it was well out of warranty, so I was out of luck. Recently, however, Best Buy had a halfway decent deal, so I bought one, the 250GB without Kinect bundled in. Here are my thoughts. 

The first thing I noticed upon opening it was that Microsoft, being run by cheapskates (by which I really mean they are just trying to maximize profits, like any company), has stopped including HD cables with 360s. However, the one from my old 360 still works fine. And if something happens to that, I could just switch the HDMI cable I use for my PS3 between the two. But still, it was not a good first thought when opening a $300 item. 

I like the looks of the new 360, being black, shiny, and sleek. But the problem with shininess is that any dust on it at all makes it look bad, and I live in a dusty old house, so it was all dusty looking within minutes of opening it. But that's more a problem with the housekeeping here than it is a design flaw. However, there are some large air holes on "top" (I have it horizontally placed, because it's more stable that way), and I'm a bit worried about dust getting in there. I should remember to dust the thing regularly.  

The disc tray button has been replaced with some sort of touch sensor, so it's far more sensitive than my old 360s. When I was dusting it yesterday, the try accidentally opened (yeah, I was wiping it off whilst it was turned on), and it startled me. It also makes a noise, which is something I don't like. Consoles making noises without the use of the TV annoys me, because it makes stealth use of it harder. Unless there's a way to turn it off, which I doubt (I've tried in vain for years to see if I can turn off the PS3's beeping).  

The controller that came with it is black. I like that. Also, while it doesn't have one of those "transforming" d-pads I've read about, it does feel better than the ones on my older controllers, though I'm not sure if that's because it's better built, or if it's because of it not being worn out like my other ones. Either way, it's nice, and not terrible.  

The 250GB hard drive, while small my computer standards, is AMAZING to someone who had been using a 20GB one for years. I can finally have all my DLC, and have more than one game installed at a time, and I still have over 200 gigs left! It's great! I should go download some more stuff now. 

Like Game Room. The first new thing I downloaded (after re-downloading all my Mass Effect (1&2) DLC, Fallout 3 DLC, Borderlands DLC, and XBLA games) was Game Room. And I got five Achievements without even buying any games. And, oddly enough, that was enough to get a C Rank here on GB. I guess Jeff's coverage was effective at dissuading people from buying anything on it.  

Anyway, overall, I'm happy just to have a working 360 again. Now all those goals I set for myself that involve 360 games are obtainable again, so I am pleased! Plus, now I can buy Gears 3 and The Witcher 2 (pretty sure that was announced for 360) later this year when they release. Yay! 

BUCK3TM4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By BUCK3TM4N

i think im the only person not to have purchased a second xbox 360, and ya the 250 gigs would be nice if i still played console games

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Vinny_Says

Still have my original xbox 360 but I would be a little pissed if the 360s came without a HD cable.

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By xpgamer7

Nice, 250 gigs is a big upgrade and well worth the price.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I bought two of the Xbox 360 S' the day they came out. Fantastic deal. 250GB is still not nearly enough for me, but I make do.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RsistncE

I've purchased a second PS3 (slim) but only because my first one was one I bought off of craigslist and was starting to act a little janky (still regret buying a second one though). Never bought a 2nd 360 and I'm happy I didn't. 

@Xpgamer7 said:

It's hardly worth the price Microsoft is selling them for. It's incredible how easy it is to rip people off when you shut down users ability to do part upgrades on their own.
    matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By matoya

The Xbox never came with a HDMI cable

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @Matoya: I didn't say HDMI, I said HD. The cables my first Xbox came with were a composite/component combo, so it could output HD. Now they just come with composite.

@Jamer91: Yeah, I didn't really notice the noise difference at first because the air conditioner was running today (and I've used nothing but my quiet PS3 for a while), but I love that it's now whisper quiet. Built-in WiFi is great too, because before I was using that $100 WiFi add-on dealy. I kinda want to try plugging that in and see if it'll work, and if it'll download stuff faster by using both. I really doubt it though, as I don't really have anything to back up that ludicrous theory (especially since it was originally my dad's idea). 
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Justin258

And I am still using my old fat 360. 

It still runs like a charm, too :). A very loud and noisy charm, but a charm nonetheless. But I play it with headphones on most of the time, so I don't worry about the noise that comes from it.

I was looking into buying a thin one, but I don't want to. I've got better things to spend $300 on. No, Wi-Fi, but it connects through my laptop which is always on anyway. 

As for the bigger hard drive, I plunked down $130 to get a 250 a while back. 

So I understand the motivation to get the fairer-looking Xbox, but I can't see a reason to pick a new one up.

kmg90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By kmg90
    @RsistncE said:
    @Xpgamer7 said:

It's hardly worth the price Microsoft is selling them for. It's incredible how easy it is to rip people off when you shut down users ability to do part upgrades on their own.
    Yup the GB to dollar ratio is a lot lower with the Xbox 360 hard drives than any other computer hard drives (besides SSDs) on the market.

a year ago I bought a WD 320GB hard drive for my PS3 for only 60$ (a faster 7200 drive no less)

I would be more interested in the Xbox if they were less content on gouging there consumers....
    birchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By birchman

I am glad I bought my Slim. Just used the HD cable from my old 360 and the bigger HDD is a life saver. It was so cheap!

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Brendan

Glad you're enjoying it. My situation is mostly the same as yours: My original broke down, then my second so I got a deal from best buy on boxing day for a 4gb model at $125. I definitely can't download everything I want, but I have a 16gb usb stick plugged into the back so my storage is still on par with the old model. Also mine is the matte black version so I don't have the same cleaning woes you do (although I really should dust it more often anyway).

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    The first thing I noticed upon opening it was that Microsoft, being run by cheapskates (by which I really mean they are just trying to maximize profits, like any company), has stopped including HD cables with 360s. 
    ...black, shiny, and sleek. But the problem with shininess is that any dust on it at all makes it look bad
    The disc tray button has been replaced with some sort of touch sensor, so it's far more sensitive than my old 360s.

You're describing both my 360 Slim and my PS3 Phat. 

I, like you, had been using an old, loud 20GB - the drive space and quiet running is such a nice upgrade. :)
    cartvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By cartvader
    @Matoya: Some version did.  I bought an elite a few years ago and it came w/ the component/composite, HDMI, & digital audio cable. 

Sad but it looks like pretty much everyone is cutting extra cables out of their systems, I'm pretty sure my PS3 slim only came w/ component cables :(.
    MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MideonNViscera

I'm holding out for the Gears 3 console with a 320gb hard drive. Got it pre-ordered. Only drawback I see to it is that it's advertised as making Gears themed sound effects.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.